Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    if u got d=1.6 and M=66 due to using wrong distance but working correct how many marks would i get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    guys does anyone remember the details of question 6 and 7 so i can upload model answers?
    I rember that question 7 said.

F1 and F2 are acting on a particle P. F1 has the force (-i +2j)N and F2 acts in the direction (i + j)

Given that the resultant of these acts in the direction (i + 3j)

a) Find F2

ReputationRep:
    how many maks was question 2a and 7

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LightAtTheEnd)
    Here is the method, see where you think you went wrong:

F1 = - i + 2j,
    F2 = k(i + j) [Note it was in the direction of i + j, not equal to it]
    Resultant F = m(i + 3j) [Again direction of i + 3j]

Resultant F = F1 + F2
    = - i + 2j + k(i + j)
    = (k-1)i + (k+2)j

k-1 = m --- equation 1
    k+2 = 3m --- equation 2.
    equation 1 x 3 => 3k - 3 = 3m.
    3k - 3 = k + 2
    2k = 5
    k = 2.5

F2 = k(i + j) = 2.5(i + j) = 2.5i + 2.5j
    i did all crazy things like trying to work out the direction vector of f1 and getting 0i and 2j, then finding the magnitude of that and subbing it in. I wrote F=ma and R=f1+f2 though so hope i will get method marks

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be about 57-58 for an A cuz it was definitely harder than last years but easier than jan 2009 etc

ReputationRep:
    I got 7a right by writing 2.5i+2.5j, but did it by trial and error, and a bit of working out, how many marks will i get for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellomynameisr)
    I think it would be about 57-58 for an A cuz it was definitely harder than last years but easier than jan 2009 etc
    I doubt it, most people in my school found it easy, I reckon 63-65 for an A.

ReputationRep:
    I got the second vectors one right with was 2.5i+2.5j however didn't find it with simultaneous equations and just generally not in a very good mathsy way, how do you think the marking will be for that question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gurvin)
    also how many marks would i loose if for the moments question i took moment about A correct but B wrong so got a wrong anwser because for B i used wrong distance
    I did the same!! But my moments for A wrong and B was right. Hopefully we'll get method marks, I think we might lose around 3 marks but I'm not too sure

ReputationRep:
    for the coefficient question i read 40 as 4 and got my final answer wrong but my method was correct.. would i get any marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Not_a_horse)
    I doubt it, most people in my school found it easy, I reckon 63-65 for an A.
    I think I did okay but that prediction is laughable this paper was way harder than the last 4 /5 papers, on par with jan 09 in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    For the last question I didn't work out the direction of the force but got the right actual force, does anyone know how many marks I'd loose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eyeman567)
    I think I did okay but that prediction is laughable this paper was way harder than the last 4 /5 papers, on par with jan 09 in my opinion.
    Most questions were of average difficulty apart from 7a, last years paper had a hard suvat question and the last question on last years was harder too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirRaza97)
    That's savage. I hate this type of stuff. I'd rather have an accurate answer than a rounded one.
    But your answer isn't completely accurate anyway as g is rounded to 9.8, which is why they want the answer rounded

ReputationRep:
    If u get below an E (40ums) does that mean u get automatically 0 UMS (U) and it counts as if u've never done the exam?

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone try solving the 7a question by resolving all the forces up a d horizontal ?

ReputationRep:
    I think I just gave 2.5N for the F1 F2 question and for the impulse I got 1.5N to 2SF, not sure if any of those were right. Also I gave the angle of the resultant force for the last question as a bearing due north, which I'm not sure if they will accept

ReputationRep:
    ok question 7 part b, what am i doing wrong. i seem to be getting a different answer to everyone else so lets hear it!

ok ive done this twice now (once in the exam, once again now) and ive got the same answer which is different to what I have been seeing.

V= U + AT
    V = ? U = (3i-22j) A=(3i+9j) T=3
    |U| = root(3^2 + (-22)^2) = root(493)
    |A| = root(3^2 + 9^2) = root(90)

V = root(493) + 3*root(90)

V= 50.66410225
    V = 50.7

anyone?

was i not meant to find the magnitude until the end or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Not_a_horse)
    I got 7a right by writing 2.5i+2.5j, but did it by trial and error, and a bit of working out, how many marks will i get for it?
    you wont get any marks for trial and error bud

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    ok question 7 part b, what am i doing wrong. i seem to be getting a different answer to everyone else so lets hear it!

ok ive done this twice now (once in the exam, once again now) and ive got the same answer which is different to what I have been seeing.

V= U + AT
    V = ? U = (3i-22j) A=(3i+9j) T=3
    |U| = root(3^2 + (-22)^2) = root(493)
    |A| = root(3^2 + 9^2) = root(90)

V = root(493) + 3*root(90)

V= 50.66410225
    V = 50.7

anyone?

was i not meant to find the magnitude until the end or something?
    You're only supposed to find the magnitude at the end, you need to find i and j vectors beforehand, this is why you got that answer

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 25, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.