Oxford Physics Students and Applicants Watch

bdfzyt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by wcm)
Nice to meet you too, best wishes for you.
u too, thanks~
Chrissyboy101
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Last year Engineering interviewed 72% of applicants, whereas Physics only interview 56% of applicants. I know that the introduction of the test may change the number of people who are asked to interview, but assuming equal competence between Physicists and Engineers, there are a similar number of applicants and that Engineering interview the same percentage of applicants (all questionable), then the pass mark for Engineering would have to be lower.
HAVING SAID THAT, we don't even know if there will be a Pass mark for engineering! They could just use it as an additional piece of information when short listing rather than ranking people like Physics does.
Marieke1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ThreeCheers)
I'm applying for Physics and Philosophy too, it's such an ideal course but I'm not too optimistic about getting in. Got allocated to Hertford happily good luck with everything
Definitely ideal.
Good luck to you too, hope we'll meet for interviews
soutioirsim
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm applying for Physics and Philosophy too, it's such an ideal course but I'm not too optimistic about getting in. Got allocated to Hertford happily good luck with everything
Hertford? :sexface:

I was going to help out with interviews but I decided not to in the end.

You'll love it here in the interviews! (Especially if you get my nice big room )
a.koe
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by soutioirsim)

You'll love it here in the interviews! (Especially if you get my nice big room )
Hey guys do you guys know the dates when we get told to go for interview or rejected?? I need to start booking flights bt dno if i should wait till i kno for sure...
ThreeCheers
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

That's IF I get one... *@@#!!ng PAT
I'm in love with the college though. I actually was going to apply there, and put it in before changing it to open app, and then got allocated there. I've concluded that it's fate.
ThreeCheers
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by a.koe)
Hey guys do you guys know the dates when we get told to go for interview or rejected?? I need to start booking flights bt dno if i should wait till i kno for sure...
The latest we'll hear can be a week before the interviews are scheduled (I.e. A week before Dec 11th) but I read on here somewhere that it might be around November 25th.
Same problem. Cheap advance train tickets, might just book anyway to cut losses.
soutioirsim
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by a.koe)
Oooo that's a toughie, I found out the start of december so it's up to you I'm afraid.

That's IF I get one... *@@#!!ng PAT
I'm in love with the college though. I actually was going to apply there, and put it in before changing it to open app, and then got allocated there. I've concluded that it's fate.
Honestly dw about it, my heart sank when I heard we had a 71% cut off last year and was fully prepared for a rejection before interview. But now I'm sat here working on a problem sheet for my tutorial! Crazy times :rolleyes:

And yes, a very good college :yep: People are so friendly and fun here, we like to drink (And we came 5th in the norrington table)
a.koe
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oooo that's a toughie, I found out the start of december so it's up to you I'm afraid.

Honestly dw about it, my heart sank when I heard we had a 71% cut off last year and was fully prepared for a rejection before interview. But now I'm sat here working on a problem sheet for my tutorial! Crazy times :rolleyes:

And yes, a very good college :yep: People are so friendly and fun here, we like to drink (And we came 5th in the norrington table)
Dude when do u get to kno the cut-off mark then???
diddums
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've heard the 'physics' rumours as well. It might have been at trinity perhaps where i was told by one tutor that the chemistry tutor there would not consider gappers. But then there are always a lot of rumours around (and this was chemistry and a particular college)

St Catz has got a reputation for being very welcoming of gappers, even if they are 'sciency' students.
soutioirsim
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by a.koe)
Dude when do u get to kno the cut-off mark then???
Well basically when people were getting letters about interviews, one guy was given a report about the PAT as well. He ended up scanning it and posting it on this thread. I bet if you look for it, it will either be in this thread or the old Oxford applicants thread.
Zoedotdot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Due to tests being postponed in various countries, Cambridge Assessment have asked us to delay discussion of the PAT until 30th November. Apologies for the extended ban on discussion, and thank you for your co-operation.
a.koe
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Zoedotdot)
Due to tests being postponed in various countries, Cambridge Assessment have asked us to delay discussion of the PAT until 30th November. Apologies for the extended ban on discussion, and thank you for your co-operation.
???!!! Man I hope people on those countries havent read these threads cuz tht will giv them such a unfair advantage S is it possbile to get this thread temporarliy disabled so that other applicants dont get a unfair advantage?
Zoedotdot
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by a.koe)
???!!! Man I hope people on those countries havent read these threads cuz tht will giv them such a unfair advantage S is it possbile to get this thread temporarliy disabled so that other applicants dont get a unfair advantage?
I'm in the process of removing all posts pertaining to PAT discussion now
a.koe
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Zoedotdot)
I'm in the process of removing all posts pertaining to PAT discussion now
Thank you very much
Coast77
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Does anyone know how many have yet to sit the pat -one post said students in Thailand and USA haven't sat it.
wcm
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thats ridiculous....................
They have already allowed the discussion as 'all test have been set'

It may be too late already
wcm
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Coast77)
Does anyone know how many have yet to sit the pat -one post said students in Thailand and USA haven't sat it.
There was one student from USA who had the test posted here (now deleted).
game well and truly over
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
With luck, they'll disregard the PAT!!
Zoedotdot
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by wcm)
There was one student from USA who had the test posted here (now deleted).
Unfortunately the message took a while to filter through and we were only informed of the extra delays today, which is why it's taken until now to stop discussion again. It's not all students in the USA, just some who were affected by snowstorms. We can't take any chances though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (412)
37.83%
No - but I will (83)
7.62%
No - I don't want to (75)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (519)
47.66%

Watched Threads