The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by georgegabriel
Rodgers will get better, but that's hardly a bold prediction. He's younger than the other top QBs, has a great receiving corp and an incredible defense to support him.

What makes Brady and Brees stand out though, is the fact that time and time again they've done it with average receiving corps, and/or small-name guys. Manning not so much as he's had Wayne, Clark and Harrison for most of his time but he's an exceptional quarterback anyway.

Agree with both points.

I don't know what the stat is now, but I remember that at the end of the 2007 season, Peyton Manning was 1-1 in the Superbowl after having a total 19 pro bowl appearances from his receiver/running back core, whereas Tom Brady was 3-1 in the Superbowl after having a receiver/running back core that had only 4 pro bowls between them.

Brady achieved more with less, consistently.
I don't get how you can say Rodgers has many weapons around him. Only one of the receiving corp featured in the Top 100 ("the definitive list") which was Jennings at like no.70. Driver, Nelson, Jones, Kuhn and Finley were all left out. According to the players themselves, A-Rod doesn't appear to have a lot to work with. I think it's an injustice of the highest order for Driver to not be on that list. He holds a club record for consecutive games with at least one catch and his incredible touchdown against the 49ers shows he still has it.
Original post by Scott129
I don't get how you can say Rodgers has many weapons around him. Only one of the receiving corp featured in the Top 100 ("the definitive list") which was Jennings at like no.70. Driver, Nelson, Jones, Kuhn and Finley were all left out. According to the players themselves, A-Rod doesn't appear to have a lot to work with. I think it's an injustice of the highest order for Driver to not be on that list. He holds a club record for consecutive games with at least one catch and his incredible touchdown against the 49ers shows he still has it.

The list left out his weapons because it was career based.

Jennings, Nelson, Finley were absolutely class this season, as was Ryan Grant.

Admittedly, 2 of those guys weren't playing the whole season due to injury, but he still benefited from them.

A-Rod has lots to work with. Jennings and Driver are both top quality receivers, and Nelson is a very good third option (as shown by his beast of a TD in the Super Bowl).

Ryan Grant was great while he played, and John Kuhn was a great fill in.

Also, lets not forget that beast of a defense that kept the Green Bay offense on the field for so long, and the quality offensive line that kept Rodgers off his arse.

Donald Driver was a snub btw, he has had a crazy good career.
Original post by The Patriot
The list left out his weapons because it was career based.

Jennings, Nelson, Finley were absolutely class this season, as was Ryan Grant.

Admittedly, 2 of those guys weren't playing the whole season due to injury, but he still benefited from them.

A-Rod has lots to work with. Jennings and Driver are both top quality receivers, and Nelson is a very good third option (as shown by his beast of a TD in the Super Bowl).

Ryan Grant was great while he played, and John Kuhn was a great fill in.

Also, lets not forget that beast of a defense that kept the Green Bay offense on the field for so long, and the quality offensive line that kept Rodgers off his arse.

Donald Driver was a snub btw, he has had a crazy good career.

Finley got an injury at the beginning of the season. :fyi:

Jennings is a great WR, Driver is not as good as he used to be but is still a valuable player. Nelson was pretty good last season indeed. There were several times while watching a Packers game when I was like 'how the **** could you have not caught it?!' (usually Jones or Nelson) though.

Nonetheless Aaron does have some good guns on the field. It's not an outstanding receiving unit but still, it is pretty damn good.
Anybody going to be watching the American Football World Cup over the next week? Coverage kicks off today on Eurosport 2. If my exam results were out already I was hoping to go out to Vienna next week for the final.
Original post by RabbitCFH
Finley got an injury at the beginning of the season. :fyi:

Jennings is a great WR, Driver is not as good as he used to be but is still a valuable player. Nelson was pretty good last season indeed. There were several times while watching a Packers game when I was like 'how the **** could you have not caught it?!' (usually Jones or Nelson) though.

Nonetheless Aaron does have some good guns on the field. It's not an outstanding receiving unit but still, it is pretty damn good.

I was so looking forward to seeing Finley play, I honestly thought this would be his breakout season.

Haha, I know what you mean about the dropped catches. Check out this one from Jones. Still makes me cringe. A-Rod wasn't impressed either.

Original post by Scott129
I was so looking forward to seeing Finley play, I honestly thought this would be his breakout season.

Haha, I know what you mean about the dropped catches. Check out this one from Jones. Still makes me cringe. A-Rod wasn't impressed either.

Totally. He had a few more dropped catches like that in the playoffs.
On QB's I would still go for:

Payton (people say he's on a downward curve after one bad season in which all his options got injured, had zero protection and a shocking defense. He still threw 4,700 yards and 33 TD's (17 INTS) which isn't exactly crap... Lets not forget he's a 4 time MVP and was MVP a season ago)
Brady (Incredible player and you can't fit a paper between him and Payton. Not as good a QB or 'coach on the field' but more of a winner.)
Rogers (Has something the other two don't-mobility- and can throw as well as all the others. Threw for around 4,000 yards for the last 3 years.)
Rivers (Not his fault that the chargers have never managed anything in the playoffs and his statistics are ridiculas.)
Brees (I'm still not totally convinced by him-he had a poor season last year and I'm not convinced he has the smarts of those above him. Only had 2 seasons with a QB rating above 100.)
Original post by WharfedaleTiger

Brees (I'm still not totally convinced by him-he had a poor season last year and I'm not convinced he has the smarts of those above him. Only had 2 seasons with a QB rating above 100.)

I'm sorry but just..no. I wholeheartedly disagree with you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1649
Original post by WharfedaleTiger

He designed NOs offence with Peyton. He deffo has the smarts.
I'm not sure about Brees. He appears to be a great leader and schemer to the Saints but I'm not sold on his actual QB skill. He's clearly very talented but apart from 09, I don't think he's achieved his potential at all.
Original post by Mufasaa
He designed NOs offence with Peyton. He deffo has the smarts.

I don't doubt him off the feild but on it? I don't see the same level of reading the defense, seeing schemes and audables as with the other top QB's.
I guess I'm the only one here following the American Football World Cup? :frown:
I see Desean Jackson is being his usual self again, this time calling a caller-in on a radio show a "gay ass-****er". Smooth.
Original post by Warrior King
I guess I'm the only one here following the American Football World Cup? :frown:

The quality isn't great... the teams hardly play together before the tournament and then Team USA, Canada and Japan just ruin everybody.
Original post by Hedgeman49
The quality isn't great... the teams hardly play together before the tournament and then Team USA, Canada and Japan just ruin everybody.

Oh yeah I gathered that much. It's not even on tv here as I originally had thought but the official website is showing live coverage incase anyone is interest. Just google the IFAF and then follow their links. I suppose this will have to do until the day American Football ever becomes and Olympic discipline and then truly a global game which will be like....never.
Oh yeah I gathered that much. It's not even on tv here as I originally had thought but the official website is showing live coverage incase anyone is interest. Just google the IFAF and then follow their links. I suppose this will have to do until the day American Football ever becomes and Olympic discipline and then truly a global game which will be like....never.

I mean, it's good that it's been organised and national teams are playing together. Unfortunately all those born outside the USA are **** compared to those who are naturalised. And I do literally mean all, there is not a single British player playing in this country that is good enough to make it to the NFL. We're playing a totally different sport, they're galaxies ahead of us.
Original post by Hedgeman49
I mean, it's good that it's been organised and national teams are playing together. Unfortunately all those born outside the USA are **** compared to those who are naturalised. And I do literally mean all, there is not a single British player playing in this country that is good enough to make it to the NFL. We're playing a totally different sport, they're galaxies ahead of us.

Yeah it is rather strange that given our history of contact sports such as rugby we have never really taken to American Football and never really been able to produce the quality or talent to go onto the big colleges in the US or NFL. American Football is very much a elitist game and doesn't have a presence in Africa which is the stumbling block for it to ever be considered for inclusion into the Olympics.

Yeah it is rather strange that given our history of contact sports such as rugby we have never really taken to American Football and never really been able to produce the quality or talent to go onto the big colleges in the US or NFL. American Football is very much a elitist game and doesn't have a presence in Africa which is the stumbling block for it to ever be considered for inclusion into the Olympics.

I think our history with Rugby is precisely the reason we don't produce great football players. If you look at the top Rugby players and imagine they dedicated themselves to football instead, with top coaching etc., some of them are clearly good enough athletes to have made it. However Rugby had the infrastructure and the coaches. If League and Union both stopped existing tomorrow we would either turn into a nation of homos or football would get a massive boost. I think the latter.
Original post by burningnun
I think our history with Rugby is precisely the reason we don't produce great football players. If you look at the top Rugby players and imagine they dedicated themselves to football instead, with top coaching etc., some of them are clearly good enough athletes to have made it. However Rugby had the infrastructure and the coaches. If League and Union both stopped existing tomorrow we would either turn into a nation of homos or football would get a massive boost. I think the latter.

I think the biggest difference is staying low. We don't have any sports where you are required to stay low all the time, whereas it is taught from day 1 in the US. If you watch NFL linemen they are pretty much sprinting in a half squat, their leg strength is amazing. If you watch film of any BUAFL team you will see the linemen pop up almost straight away, this is one of the big reasons that we're **** in comparison.

Latest