Edexcel Chemistry A2 Unit 5 ~ Wednesday 19th June 2013 (Now Closed) Watch

Poll: How pumped up are you for this exam?-(warning)-(bad jokes arene this poll!)
"Titanium-I'm not going to corrode (even at high temperatures)" (A*) (22)
16.67%
"Benzene's my middle name, give me the paper in a week and I'll ace it!" (A) (27)
20.45%
"Yeah, I'm fairly electrophillic (positively charged) about the exam" (B) (27)
20.45%
"I'm in the middle of the salt bridge, but I will pass-eventually" (C) (21)
15.91%
"I'm feeling rather electroNegative about this exam" (D) (18)
13.64%
"Benzene, what's that?" (E) (6)
4.55%
"Chemistry, what's that?" (F) (11)
8.33%
This discussion is closed.
Lgambo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Me going to the exam hall tomorrow will be like trying to put a cat in a cat carrier on the way to the vets.
anony.mouse
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bubblegummer)

Guess your teacher went nuts looking for the answer :P We have too many stuff to remember from unit 1 to 5 and sometimes i have no idea which one to apply
To be fair on him, he's never taught edexcel chemistry before, so isn't entirely familiar with the data book and thus didn't realise that that page is in it.
lewiss111
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ghostcommand99)
Does anyone know how to explain why there's 196g of Chromium (III) sulfate in Jan 2013 paper Question 2C? Shouldn't it 392g at 1mol/dm3?
its dichromate if you look in the question, so a 1 mol dm3 conc of chromium comes from half of 392
doodledee1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
on the jan 2013 paper there are a couple of multi choice questions I am confused about, firstly question 2c (i thought was C, correct answer B) and also question 11 (I thought was B, correct answer D). Could someone please explain them , thanks!
Bord3r
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Does anyone know how to explain why there's 196g of Chromium (III) sulfate in Jan 2013 paper Question 2C? Shouldn't it 392g at 1mol/dm3?
There's two chromium ions per chromium sulfate molecule so in order to get 1 moldm^-3 you need only half of 1 mole of chromium sulfate.
Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
clydeshen411
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kabOOmm)
but they said in the mark scheme
Copper (formed (by disproportionation)) is oxidized(by nitric acid) must be stated in words
stand alone mark

does this mean that copper(pink solid) did form but got oxidized? why couldn't this happen with the sulphuric acid too?
Yeah I was wrong, CuI should form as well.

1. [4H+(aq) + SO􏰋-(aq)], [H2SO3(aq) + H2O(l)]|Pt , E=+0.17V

Cu2+(aq) + 2e- 􏰓 Cu(s) E=+0.34V

0.17- 0.34 <0 so only disproportionation occurs with sulfric acid. But nitric acid is able to oxidise cu to cu2+ since +0.94>+0.34

Lgambo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You all sound so clever I wish I were all of you
ChooChooCherry
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
can u please send me the link for the jan 2013 paper and ms? thank yoouu
clydeshen411
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ChooChooCherry)
can u please send me the link for the jan 2013 paper and ms? thank yoouu
Links are on page 80
paddyroddy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by anony.mouse)
To be fair on him, he's never taught edexcel chemistry before, so isn't entirely familiar with the data book and thus didn't realise that that page is in it.
the reason scientifically (not just the data book ) is that there is a big gap between 7th & 8th which suggests this removing the 3p6 electron which is a much higher energy than the 3d.

the other one with a big gap was A between 1st & 2nd which would mean not transition metal as needs at least 3 from 4s2 rd1

and B has 2nd and 3rd which again is the same reason as A
posthumus
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by clydeshen411)
I think the colour should be lighter. Greater splitting means more energy absorbed, so light with shorter wavelength (darker colour) is absorbed, then the complementary colour should be lighter maybe?
You make a really good point, now I am unsure!

Hope they give us a color wheel in the exam
Bubblezzzz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LeaX)
thank you so much so does the anhydrous calcium chloride remove the ether too?
no it doesn't, CaCl2 only removes water, the ether can then be distilled off by gentle heating (it will very often have a boiling point much less than that of the organic substance you want) x
orange94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Planning on recapping on all the organic mechanism for the whole of chemistry unit 1 - unit 5! And going over transition complexes and colours! And some nasty titration questions and weird error questions! Good approach for today?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bubblezzzz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by posthumus)
You make a really good point, now I am unsure!

Hope they give us a color wheel in the exam
Yhh that would be extremely helpful, but we all know edexcel, they will try and make this the worst exam experience of our lives
Bubblezzzz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah I was wrong, CuI should form as well.

1. [4H+(aq) + SO􏰋-(aq)], [H2SO3(aq) + H2O(l)]|Pt , E=+0.17V

Cu2+(aq) + 2e- 􏰓 Cu(s) E=+0.34V

0.17- 0.34 <0 so only disproportionation occurs with sulfric acid. But nitric acid is able to oxidise cu to cu2+ since +0.94>+0.34

yhh this question was really weird because I was trying to understand what role sulfuric acid played in the initial reaction they gave us, i.e. the disproportionation. As far as I can see, disproportionation always occurs, provided the two half-equations when combined, give a positive E cell value. The acid then is involved in the second step, as an oxidising agent, which in the case of nitric is able to convert the Cu back to Cu2+ - Here Cu+ isn't reformed since the nitric is sufficiently positive to make the reaction 'go all the way' back to Cu2+ resulting in the blue solution.
Sulfuric acid however, has a more negative half cell value, so is unable to oxidise the Cu solid formed.
Hope that provides some clarification x
orange94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
HELP HELP HELP NEE CONFORMATION!! B

E cell is directly proportional to LnK so if you were to be Given the e cell value can you work out K from it?

Is it like the same in the entropy calculations when Stotal is directly proportional to LnK and you can work out K by rearranging the equation!

Posted from TSR Mobile
clydeshen411
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Bubblezzzz)
yhh this question was really weird because I was trying to understand what role sulfuric acid played in the initial reaction they gave us, i.e. the disproportionation. As far as I can see, disproportionation always occurs, provided the two half-equations when combined, give a positive E cell value. The acid then is involved in the second step, as an oxidising agent, which in the case of nitric is able to convert the Cu back to Cu2+ - Here Cu+ isn't reformed since the nitric is sufficiently positive to make the reaction 'go all the way' back to Cu2+ resulting in the blue solution.
Sulfuric acid however, has a more negative half cell value, so is unable to oxidise the Cu solid formed.
Hope that provides some clarification x
yeah this is a much clearer explanation! My english sucks
clydeshen411
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by orange94)
HELP HELP HELP NEE CONFORMATION!! B

E cell is directly proportional to LnK so if you were to be Given the e cell value can you work out K from it?

Is it like the same in the entropy calculations when Stotal is directly proportional to LnK and you can work out K by rearranging the equation!

Posted from TSR Mobile
No we dont know the ratio between E cell and lnk, while Stotal = R lnk where R = 8.31 (a constant). I think they will only test u on how will k change if Ecell changes.
LeaX
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Bubblezzzz)
no it doesn't, CaCl2 only removes water, the ether can then be distilled off by gentle heating (it will very often have a boiling point much less than that of the organic substance you want) x
(Original post by bubblegummer)
It removes iodine from ether so it forms solid calcium iodide. ether will be seperated by it. You're welcome
thank you both.
orange94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No we dont know the ratio between E cell and lnk, while Stotal = R lnk where R = 8.31 (a constant). I think they will only test u on how will k change if Ecell changes.
Lol silly me! So since ecell is directly proportional to entropy that means as ecell increases K increases too and vice-versa

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads