Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techno836)
    21st August
    Heyy

Where can you find the official boundaries on the 21st? just like on a google search or what? hahaa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jatz07)
    Ah, I'm worried about Ocr biology and Aqa literature,

Which A levels are you picking for sixth form this year?
    ah 19 days , wow! I really hope the english language boundaries don't rocket for an A or A*
    I really want to do dentistry or medicine plus my parents want me to do well so I feel so pressurised

good luck with your grades x

Jatz
    3 Sciences, French, Spanish, Philosophy and Ethics (I'll drop 2 when I see my results), you?

Me either, but I'm on CIE for English.

I'm looking at medicine, but also languages and Philosophy...Aww that must suck my parents keep telling me not to worry, that I'm not doing subjects like English and History again so as long as I get a C or above it doesn't matter but it does matter, you know?

Worst case scenario is that we fail and we have to resit. A second chance

Good luck with your results Jatz! Let me know how you did (which I'm sure will be fine )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prof. Essional)
    i just got mine, failed badly
    How do you know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LjWol)
    Heyy

Where can you find the official boundaries on the 21st? just like on a google search or what? hahaa
    on your exam board website ..Im sure if you come on here though a Mod will have created a thread with all the links

*unless its WJEC , they're mean and will probably put them on they day after results :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Nice A-levels!! I'm doing: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, History + Extended Project

Ah, to be honest I spent most of my time on weaker subjects like English language and literature and I would be happy with As in both of them and A*s for other subjects ... Haha, I don't think I will be able to sleep properly either!... and then end up looking like Frankenstein on results day hehe

Thank you very much!!

Ah, I know how you feel ! at least you don't have a bit of pressure from your parents and your parents seem cool ... I think my mum is more strict than my dad ...

my dad is just like 'as long as you get the grades for dentistry//medicine then you're all set', and my mum is like 'you better exceed my expectations', I'm like grrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Thanks Mollie! You too!! I'll let you know on results day and you let me know your gcse results too..

Have you thought of any universities you want to apply to?

Jatz
    Haha, thanks wow, 5? What's extended project? :lol:

See, I spent so much time on the Englishes and History that I forgot I had Maths exams until my friend was like, 'revise with me' the night before 😰 I'm not TOO worried about Maths though...Same, even know I'm having really weird dreams about failing, and we're over a fortnight away!

My parents didn't ace their exams and they're successful at what they do, and they'd love me to pass with flying colours, but their definition of that is way different to mine and my friends'. I just really don't want the familiar 'oh that's good for you!' off my friends >.<

But pressurising parents would be my worst nightmare I'm sure you will meet her expectations and even if you don't,
    a) no one looks at UMS, only the grade (I learned that the hard way)
    b) you apply for medicine, an A in English rather than an A* isn't going to be much of a hindrance, providing your AS s are strong
    c) you write it on your CV as A*-A grade GCSEs and everyone will be equally as impressed

Okay ^.^

I'm looking at Oxbridge and Russell Group, so fingers crossed (yn) for medicine, languages or philosophy where are you looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    erm, firstly I do have a real passion for dentistry... I've wanted to become one since the age of eleven... I could write an essay about this but it'll take up too much time...

secondly, I didn't say I was doing it for social status or to please my family!... all I said was that my parents want me to get good grades!! And I'm sure everyone else's parents would want the same for their children too...

Jatz
    Yeah definitely! This wasn't directed at you by the way, I was just saying that lots of people go into medicine without a real passion for going into the area!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, the extended project is an As-level you take in Year 12 if you want to do medicine/dentistry/law, you research a topic you're interested in related to your career... e.g. if i was doing dentistry I would base my extended project on perhaps.. periodontal disease and gingivitis .... and then you write a 5000+ word report on it and you present your findings in front of a panel and get graded... it equates to an As level and an A* is achievable

You need A* and A at GCSE to do the EPQ, it's highly recommended if you're aiming for top universities like oxbridge or , king's , imperial, queen mary's etc.

lol, I retook my gcse maths 3 times!... in November I got an A, march I got an A and now I re-took it in june and after checking the mark scheme , I am fairly confident I have secured an A* in Maths...

As for the sciences, I liked chem/physics, but absolutely hated biology exam!! I would have rather had an A* in bio//chem as it would support my dentistry application (or medicine)

What grades are you aiming for at gcse??

Ah, I hate comparing grades with my friends!!... There is this other guy in my year who's been smart since year 7 and what annoys me is that everytime we do a GCSE exam, certain people in our year start comparing me and him... it's such a nuisance!! ...

medicine/dentistry are two of the most competitive degrees in UK, but all in all interview is very important...

One of my mates in my sister's year got 11 A* at GCSE and AAA at A level (no A* was avaliable before 2009) and got a very high UKCAT but after the interview he got rejected by all of his uni's, so ended up taking a gap year!!

Thank you very much, that made me feel better!

However, on the ucas application form, do we list our grades individually for each subject?

ok.. for dentistry I'm thinking:

1) Barts and London
    2) King's College London
    3) Liverpool
    4) Bristol

For Medicine:

1) Imperial
    2) Barts and London
    3) King's
    4) Durham//liverpool

I'm not thinking oxbridge because firstly, oxford and Cambridge don't do dentistry lol... and secondly for medicine, 80% of oxford applicants have usually straight A*s or nearly all A*s at GCSE plus interview is based more significance on gcse rather than predicted A2 grades , and cambridge want bio, chem, physics, maths at A level... and I don't like physics as much lol...

Barts (queen mary's), on the other hand, is very good because gcse's aren't as much significance , they look at UCAS points more ( AS//A2 grades) which is why I like it... + it has an excellent variety of activities other than studying

Hehe... :cool:

Have you done any work experience?
    what grades are you aiming for at gcse???

Have you done any revision over these holidays? I've done nothing properly yet :eek:

I need to start doing proper maths and chemistry tomorrow, and biology the day after...!!

School is in 1 month!! lol

Jatz
    Hiya, is the Extended Project only for English students?

ReputationRep:
    I'm predicted all A's and A*'s, soooo nervous for results though! I've taken biology, chemistry, psychology and English lit at A level- does anyone know roughly what I'll be targeted to achieve in these subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A minimum target C and aspirational target B/A I guess . Targets don't mean much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssargithan)
    HAHAHA LOOK AT THIS ARTICLE :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23290889

GREAT -___-
    Now I'm even more worried about my physics exam, I completely failed it :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Im worried about english our teacher never told us our coursework marks as she prefers that way and im dreading history I'll either get scrape an A* or ill be a couple marks away from it. How did people find the health and social care exam I found it quite easy. Originally I was taking bio chem physics and law but hopefull if the options fit I'll probably change this to biology physics psychology and possibly sociology still unsure of that though. Im expecting 2 Bs and the rest higher. Good luck to everyone only 19 days. Btw you know the results we get online will that appear like straight away at midnight on the day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanttobeadoc)
    I'm predicted all A's and A*'s, soooo nervous for results though! I've taken biology, chemistry, psychology and English lit at A level- does anyone know roughly what I'll be targeted to achieve in these subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, if you are getting A/A* in the subjects at GCSE then you can achieve A/A* at a level too !

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maths
    Economics
    Geography
    English Literature

Are they good A-Level choices?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taci)
    Dentistry or medicine? Why is everyone going for these just because they have the grades?? You have to have a real passion for it, and you have to have determination that you want to do it, not just for social status or to please your family! :confused:
    THIS is the truth, so many people want to be doctors for those exact reasons, pretty stupid if you ask me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedSchool)
    Maths
    Economics
    Geography
    English Literature

Are they good A-Level choices?
    Yes those are good, desirable A-Levels, you've Maths, English and a Science (Geography). What would you like to study at uni? You've a lot of choices with your subjects!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aasvogel)
    Yes those are good, desirable A-Levels, you've Maths, English and a Science (Geography). What would you like to study at uni? You've a lot of choices with your subjects!
    Thank you! I'm hoping to go on to investment banking, or working in a hedgefund. Otherwise, with the subjects I have chosen, I believe I could go into law.

ReputationRep:
    I still have no idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing exactly the same A-levels as you
    I'm guessing you want to go down the medical/dental field?

What grades are you aiming for at gcse?

Jats
    Awesome :007:

I thought i would go into Medicine/Dentistry but i have been looking into it more seriously and other careers but i have always had a passion for Criminology so i may do something within that area however is still love science but i am not sure if i do it will probably be something along the lines of Medicine.

At GCSE So far i have 1A, 1B, 1C
    I am hoping for another C (Arabic my worst subject )and the rest to be A's and 2/3 A* depending on how the grade boundaries fall.

ReputationRep:
    Really think I should look into what I want to do in the future. Will see what my gcse results get ne

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saywhatyoumean)
    Now I'm even more worried about my physics exam, I completely failed it :mad:
    Same and I'm taking it next year...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.