Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Arshavin/Squillaci leaving frees up 150k per week. Stick an extra 50k on top and we can easily afford the top players.

Sick of these excuses anyway. You cant win the league any more without having a few 150k+ a week players. Arsenal have signed deals which bring our revenues above that of Bayern Munich's and yet we're always told we cant afford these players?

I appreciate Wenger's style is to build players up rather than just doing a supermarket sweep but what exactly is the point of building up these huge cash reserves then?
    But that maths would involve the squad size shrinking, and no new contract bumps. Not too many coming up with summer but plenty hit the important 2 year mark this summer, meaning they will be coming up over the next year. My point being, the cost of bringing in Falcao alone would swallow 50% of the new kit deal money.

Yeah, I wasn't arguing you can I was just simply pointing out as with every year the statement of how much money the clubs has is irrelevant in bringing in top player if the wage structure doesn't change. Arsenal are two generations behind in terms of wages, you still haven't moved on to the Ballack era of £150k p/w let alone the new Yaya/Rooney era of £200k+. The move to buying a player like Falcao would be a huge shift for the club rather than a simple signing.

ReputationRep:
    Come back theirry

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MENDACIUM)
    Come back theirry

Premier League titles, Champion League, World Cup, European Championship - all this means nothing to him in his quest for that all elusive bicycle kick. And now the King feels complete :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoMathsPlease)
    From what I've seen of M'Vila he has looked solid (mostly when playing for France). I haven't seen every game he has ever played but I remember always thinking "he is what we need". If he had not shown a poor attitude at last year's Euro, which obviously put Wenger off him, I think he was set for a move here.

With regards to Viera I think I worded it badly. Yes he played a bit like Yaya in the sense that his runs from midfield were powerful and lethal, but he certainly proved a brilliant ball winner in the middle of the park. That's what we lack, Arteta Wilshere and Cazorla provide no real "umph", which is one of the reasons we get bullied around by teams like Chelsea. In my opinion.

Lastly on Arteta, while he might not have been a like-for-like replacement for Fab, he was drafted in last minute after his departure (unless my memory is failing me). The fact that he is a regular first team player for us, replacement or not, proves our lacking in the centre of the pitch. Don't get me wrong, he's good, but he isn't going to bring us trophies.

Apologies for huge posts.
    :facepalm2:

You mean the player that was soon beastly for France he got demoted to their u21 squad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MENDACIUM)
    Come back theirry

American commentators make me cringe. "Greatest goal I have seen". :lolwut: Thats not even Henry's greatest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Star)
    Do you have any evidence for that, or do you just think we will change formation depending on opposition?
    It's not fact it's just my opinion on what Wenger will do

ReputationRep:
    No offense but an American sees football very very differently to the way we do. It's like as if the sport just started last night for most of them.

"Goal of the year, goal of the decade."

"You can practise it, but you can't teach it."

Really?

Great goal nonetheless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Derrick1509)
    I wouldn't call Benteke or Jovetic 'great' strikers. For me that's players in the mould of Falcao, Cavani, RvP, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    rvp, falcao, cavani are world class not just great. Robbie fowler was a great striker not a world class striker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Smurf)
    American commentators make me cringe. "Greatest goal I have seen". :lolwut: Thats not even Henry's greatest.

(Original post by Spontogical)
    No offense but an American sees football very very differently to the way we do. It's like as if the sport just started last night for most of them.

"Goal of the year, goal of the decade."

"You can practise it, but you can't teach it."

Really?

Great goal nonetheless
    It's just commentators hyperbole. We get a fair share of them on this side of the pond. Nothing to do with nationality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    But that maths would involve the squad size shrinking, and no new contract bumps. Not too many coming up with summer but plenty hit the important 2 year mark this summer, meaning they will be coming up over the next year. My point being, the cost of bringing in Falcao alone would swallow 50% of the new kit deal money.

Yeah, I wasn't arguing you can I was just simply pointing out as with every year the statement of how much money the clubs has is irrelevant in bringing in top player if the wage structure doesn't change. Arsenal are two generations behind in terms of wages, you still haven't moved on to the Ballack era of £150k p/w let alone the new Yaya/Rooney era of £200k+. The move to buying a player like Falcao would be a huge shift for the club rather than a simple signing.
    Well the two I mentioned are fully fit and havent played 1 minute of PL football this season so our real squad size wouldn't change. And even if Falcao did cost 50% of our new shirt deal then so be it. That's what the money is there for, to make the club as competitive as possible. Not to pile up in the clubs bank account .

I agree with you but I dont understand why we dont just change our wage structure. We can afford 150k a week on a few players and yet Wenger/Kronke act as if we're impoverished. 2006-2012 we genuinely were skint because of the new stadium but those days are gone.

ReputationRep:
    Well the two I mentioned are fully fit and havent played 1 minute of PL football this season so our real squad size wouldn't change. And even if Falcao did cost 50% of our new shirt deal then so be it. That's what the money is there for, to make the club as competitive as possible. Not to pile up in the clubs bank account .

I agree with you but I dont understand why we dont just change our wage structure. We can afford 150k a week on a few players and yet Wenger/Kronke act as if we're impoverished. 2006-2012 we genuinely were skint because of the new stadium but those days are gone.
    Offering Walcott (who isn't even close to our best player) £100k a week just to let everyone know that we aren't going to sell anymore is a big statement imo. It also shows that we are willing to pay the market rate for players.

I'm pretty confident that we'll get a new highest earner at our club this summer but it's unrealistic to expect us to buy players with wage demands of £200k. It just isn't smart for our club to do that atm. The only clubs that could afford to do that are either getting obscene money injected into their club or are part of the four biggest clubs in the world (Barca, Madrid, Bayern, Man Utd).

ReputationRep:

The problem doesn't come with the amount we spend on wages, our wage bill is the 3rd/4th highest and its very very close to chelseas if not more I cant remember. Anyway its about the way the wages are distributed. The crap players are given around 50k a week while the top players are given like 80/90

It should be the top players get 150k and the crap ones like squilacci and santos get 15k a week. Plus we do have a pretty big squad just not a big squad of quality. Correct me if Im wrong but dont chelsea have like 25players out on loan or something?

ReputationRep:
    What is this about falcao agreeing to go Monaco, I hope this is a bunch of crap because thats ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Vader 7)
    I'm pretty confident that we'll get a new highest earner at our club this summer but it's unrealistic to expect us to buy players with wage demands of £200k. It just isn't smart for our club to do that atm. The only clubs that could afford to do that are either getting obscene money injected into their club or are part of the four biggest clubs in the world (Barca, Madrid, Bayern, Man Utd).
    Take the new Deloitte football wealth tables and add our new sponsor deals and Arsenal's revenue will be as much as Bayern's(they do not renegotiate their deals until 2018).

So if Bayern can afford to pay 30m every season then why cant Arsenal from now on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    What is this about falcao agreeing to go Monaco, I hope this is a bunch of crap because thats ridiculous
    I think that is a good outcome if he don't end up in the premier league, although it would be another nail in the coffin for modern football tbh

ReputationRep:
    Take the new Deloitte football wealth tables and add our new sponsor deals and Arsenal's revenue will be as much as Bayern's(they do not renegotiate their deals until 2018).

So if Bayern can afford to pay 30m every season then why cant Arsenal from now on?
    Bayern munich is a run by only football people so they are not their to pay shareholders in the way a normal business does. We cannot compete with a club like that unless tony adams becomes the owner

ReputationRep:
    Don't believe that Falcao to Monaco rubbish at all. Only plus is the tax and his wage. Monaco's attendances have been dreadful and he would be playing in an absolutely **** league. I call BS.

ReputationRep:

Because they have been doing it for years and have gradually increased the quality of the squad to the point that they can compete with anyone on wages and transfer fees.

We first need to get rid of all the deadwood in our squad before we can even think about competing with the "bigger" clubs. Buying a £200k a week player whilst still paying Chamakh £60k a week just won't work and we'll bankrupt the club. We need to steadily increase the quality of players we buy. It just isn't financially smart to make such a big jump.

We also need to convince players that signing for us means they'll win trophies in the long term. It is difficult to sell that when they can get the same wages at Bayern/Madrid/Barca and know they'll win the big trophies. They have the history of winning trophies consistently including the biggest of them all numerous times (which we haven't even won yet!). If we were to convince someone like Cavani to join us over Madrid (hypothetically), we'd need to pay him an extra £50k a week just to make sure he'll pick us (and even then, there's no guarantee).

If we give a player £200k a week then the likes of Cazorla, Wilshere and Koscielny (our best players) will start questioning why they can't have wages of £130k-£150k which again will make it difficult to be sustainable.

Like I've said, this has to be a gradual transition. But we can start signing players who'll cost £20m+ now. With Fergie retiring, hopefully signing for Arsenal will mean signing for the best manager in the Premier league and Wenger's knowledge and guidance will maybe sway it for certain players.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Don't believe that Falcao to Monaco rubbish at all. Only plus is the tax and his wage. Monaco's attendances have been dreadful and he would be playing in an absolutely **** league. I call BS.
    As listeners of Football weekly will know they have also just been had a 200m Euro bill by the French Football Federation as a result of the tax status of Monaco.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.