Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucie987)
    not for a while i have 2 exams tomorrow
    I'm not going to sleep or Il get a U. Red bull it is for me all night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mujtaba.khokhar)
    I have this in my notes
    Gel electrophoresis is used to separate the fragments bysize. The gel is immersed in alkali to separate the double strandsof DNA. Each single strand is transferred by southern blotting ontoa nylon membraneSouthern blotting is achieved as follows:A nylon membrane is laid over the gel. Absorbent paper is them placed over the nylon membrane. Theliquid containing the DNA is soaked up by capillary action. This transfers the DNA fragments to the nylon membrane inexactly the same position as they were in the gel. Ultraviolet light then fixes the DNA to the membrane
    (Original post by bioevangelist)
    Run a gel in an alkaline buffer so that the DNA is single stranded
    Blot onto a nylon or nitrocellulose membrane
    Treat with UV to fix the DNA onto that membrane
    Wash over with radioactive or fluorescent probe (single stranded with complementary sequence to the target sequence that you are probing for)
    Wash off any unbound probe
    Expose to film
    Okay, thank you

Is southern blotting part of gel electrophoresis or is it a seperate process?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biojames)
    I'm not going to sleep or Il get a U. Red bull it is for me all night
    me too! on the verge on giving up now though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucie987)
    me too! on the verge on giving up now though
    Same other exams went fine but biology just aint for me maybe in the olden days when they asked biology but now they dont GL anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bustamove)
    Okay, thank you

Is southern blotting part of gel electrophoresis or is it a seperate process?
    im sure its part of Genetic fingerprinting, but im not too sure.

i know when gel electrophoresis is done the gel is either dyed with a fluorescent pigment (so it glows under UV Light) or a radioactive isotope. (this can be 'photographed' on photographic paper)

ReputationRep:
    Same other exams went fine but biology just aint for me maybe in the olden days when they asked biology but now they dont GL anyway
    Tell me about it hahaha! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I have this in my notesGel electrophoresis is used to separate the fragments bysize. The gel is immersed in alkali to separate the double strandsof DNA. Each single strand is transferred by southern blotting ontoa nylon membraneSouthern blotting is achieved as follows:A nylon membrane is laid over the gel. Absorbent paper is them placed over the nylon membrane. Theliquid containing the DNA is soaked up by capillary action. This transfers the DNA fragments to the nylon membrane inexactly the same position as they were in the gel. Ultraviolet light then fixes the DNA to the membrane
    (Original post by bioevangelist)
    Run a gel in an alkaline buffer so that the DNA is single strandedBlot onto a nylon or nitrocellulose membraneTreat with UV to fix the DNA onto that membraneWash over with radioactive or fluorescent probe (single stranded with complementary sequence to the target sequence that you are probing for)Wash off any unbound probeExpose to film
    I'm so confused... does gel electrophoresis happen first, and then southern blotting? Is southern blotting part of gel electrophoresis or is it seperate? help?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys who are still awake could anyone please explain gene therapy to me? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I'm so confused... does gel electrophoresis happen first, and then southern blotting? Is southern blotting part of gel electrophoresis or is it seperate? help?
    sorry if i confused you, heres what i have in terms of notes on this topic, maybe this well help you
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx gel and genetic fingerprinting.docx (402.4 KB, 156 views)

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh I see, thanks for clarifying it for me

so technically gel electrophoresis and southern blotting are different processes... it's just that in genetic fingerprinting, gel electrophoresis takes place first... then southern blotting.... I see now, thanks
    sorry if i confused you, heres what i have in terms of notes on this topic, maybe this well help you

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh I see, thanks for clarifying it for me

so technically gel electrophoresis and southern blotting are different processes... it's just that in genetic fingerprinting, gel electrophoresis takes place first... then southern blotting.... I see now, thanks
    Yepp thats it Well done!!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone quickly tell me if this is correct? Thanks

Genetic Fingerprinting Stages
    -Sample of DNA extracted and put in PCR
    -PCR makes copies of areas of DNA containing repeated sequences
    -DNA cut into fragments by restriction endonucleases
    -Fragments are separated using gel electrophoresis
    -They get separated according to size and due to electrical voltage

Southern blotting takes place
    -Gel immersed in alkali to separate double strands into single strands
    -Thin nylon membrane laid over gel-Membrane covered with sheets of absorbent paper
    -Draws up liquid containing DNA
    -DNA fragments transferred to nylon membrane
    -DNA fragments fixed to membrane using UV light

-DNA probes are added to label fragments
    -Radioactive probes attach to specific fragments
    -X ray shows dark bonds where radioactive DNA probes have attached

Gel Electrophoresis
    -DNA fragments placed on gel
    - Gel immersed in alkali to separate double strands into single strands
    -Electric current is applied through gel
    -Small Fragments travel further through gel and faster
    -Large fragments do not travel as far and moves slower
    -DNA fragments viewed as bands under UV light

Southern blotting
    -Gel immersed in alkali to separate double strands into single strands
    -Thin nylon membrane laid over gel
    -Membrane covered with sheets of absorbent paper
    -Draws up liquid containing DNA
    -DNA fragments transferred to nylon membrane
    -DNA fragments fixed to membrane using UV light

ReputationRep:
    Anyone still up ?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone still up ?
    Yup, memorising essays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ibrahimbasar)
    Yup, memorising essays
    Are these online essays ? Send me the link if they are I'm so bad at them hehe

ReputationRep:
    Ah screw this exam
    It's gonna be about hsw anyways ....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are these online essays ? Send me the link if they are I'm so bad at them hehe
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...iiDfwKEToghRpw

Here ya go, not sure if the link works, i googled structure of cells related to their function and its the first link

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ibrahimbasar)
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...iiDfwKEToghRpw

Here ya go, not sure if the link works, i googled structure of cells related to their function and its the first link
    Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me with negative and positive feedback :/

ReputationRep:
    Negative feedback is when the response to the change is to oppose the change ( normally turning off the corrective measures), positive feedback is when the response to the change is to continue the change(the corrective measures are normally turned on)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.