The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
It needs members from 3 parties to support the move. It won't happen.
Does it?
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Oh wow - I didn't know that...
Ell now you do, so no VoNC will happen.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Does it?
Yeah, pretty sure it does.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Yeah, pretty sure it does.
Doesn't say anything here about it needing other parties... just an MP to start, and an MP to second - unless I'm being stupid...

Attached files
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Doesn't say anything here about it needing other parties... just an MP to start, and an MP to second - unless I'm being stupid...

Yes, I just saw that weird, we need to get that changed, it should at least need cross-party support.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Yes, I just saw that weird, we need to get that changed, it should at least need cross-party support.
Is that because that's what it ideally should be, or because that's what should actually happen though...?
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is that because that's what it ideally should be, or because that's what should actually happen though...?
GD is just that, guidence. So in theory the speaker can add extra stipulations if he so wished.
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Ah fantastic!

Looks like the VONC lives!
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nebelbon)
Ah fantastic!

But it'll get shot down, And if I amend first...
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
GD is just that, guidence. So in theory the speaker can add extra stipulations if he so wished.
I have no wish for such VoNC to come about, however, it is not right that an MP is denied the right to call a VoNC if the guidance allows them to, and for Birch to add extra stipulations at this point would be un-speaker like. The VoNC will in no way work, but lets at the same time, not play 'dirty'...

Ah fantastic!

Why? VoNC adam who has let down your entire party...
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have no wish for such VoNC to come about, however, it is not right that an MP is denied the right to call a VoNC if the guidance allows them to, and for Birch to add extra stipulations at this point would be un-speaker like. The VoNC will in no way work, but lets at the same time play 'dirty'...

Aye, but would you second an amendment which can stop the VoNC dead in it's tracks?
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
But it'll get shot down, And if I amend first...
I know it won't pass and i don't intend for it to.

If Birch allowed that to happen then it is another reason for a VONC because he is interrupting the democratic process.

After my VONC, and hopefully if i am allowed to do some bills, i'd happily support and amendment to make it harder to VONC as 2 people is ridiculously low.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have no wish for such VoNC to come about, however, it is not right that an MP is denied the right to call a VoNC if the guidance allows them to, and for Birch to add extra stipulations at this point would be un-speaker like. The VoNC will in no way work, but lets at the same time, not play 'dirty'...

I don't care. I like adam and i won't vonc him.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So this VoNC is personal not professional?
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Aye, but would you second an amendment which can stop the VoNC dead in it's tracks?
It depends - whilst a VoNC shouldn't be so easy for a single party to be able to launch against the Speaker, I don't think it should be so hard in case so unfair rulings have gone on.

If I were to second one, it would have to say this:
A VoNC must be seconded by three MPs, from at least two different parties.

Yeh, so you're only VoNCing Birch because you don't like him... whereas adam has done more wrong, but as you like him you won't VoNC - getting a bit personal here...
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
So this VoNC is personal not professional?
This VoNC against Birch is making the point that his punishment was harsh and shouldn't apply to all members; it isn't personal. I don't know Birch as a person.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This VoNC against Birch is making the point that his punishment was harsh and shouldn't apply to all members; it isn't personal. I don't know Birch as a person.
It's a shame I can't VoNC adam then, because I think that what he did as party leader is harsh...
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It depends - whilst a VoNC shouldn't be so easy for a single party to be able to launch against the Speaker, I don't think it should be so hard in case so unfair rulings have gone on.

Yeh, so you're only VoNCing Birch because you don't like him... whereas adam has done more wrong, but as you like him you won't VoNC - getting a bit personal here...
Not at all. I believe Birch has made a major error so i will VoNC him; that is not personal.

I won't VoNC adam because i like him and he has done many more good things than bad and this does not warrant a VoNC; this is partially personal.

As i said to Aph i don't know Birch as a person so it is unfair to say i don't like him. I was completely fine with him as Speaker until the Birkenhead incident and this. I don't think he is fit to be Speaker, however i'm sure he is a lovely chap.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I'd want 5 MP's from 3 parties... Just because like that it's harder to amend the GD then call a VoNC.

exactly UKIP are only ever personal.
then you should VoNC Adam for failing to protect you and submitting it as a party motion.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I'd want 5 MP's from 3 parties... Just because like that it's harder to amend the GD then call a VoNC.

exactly UKIP are only ever personal.
then you should VoNC Adam for failing to protect you and submitting it as a party motion.
I wouldn't second, so obviously would Nay that amendment - I think there can be circumstances where having too many MPs from 3 separate parties can be unfair against those wanting the VoNC - I think MPs should have a good chance of getting a VoNC in if they want to (without being ridiculous of course...) It's at the division stage where it should be stopped if it comes to that...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (120)
64.86%
No I haven't decided yet (39)
21.08%
Yes but I might change my mind (26)
14.05%

Watched Threads