University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Happy autumn everyone! (my fave season by far)

Is it worth going over A Level content before I go?
    I like winter more. Did your department not send you any work?

(Original post by 16Characters....)
    I like winter more. Did your department not send you any work?
    But...the colours...

Just some maths stuff, nothing related to bio or chem

ReputationRep:
    But...the colours...

Chem gets off to a fairly gentle start (well more gentle than other subjects).

(Original post by alow)
    Chem gets off to a fairly gentle start (well more gentle than other subjects).
    Do they try and ease you in?

I'm scared of turning up to lectures for the first time and having absolutely no idea on what the person is saying :lol:

ReputationRep:

I'm scared of turning up to lectures for the first time and having absolutely no idea on what the person is saying :lol:
    Freshers come from all sorts of school/education backgrounds, so they usually use the first few week or so to make sure everyone is on the same start line when they start revving up the teaching in earnest.

ReputationRep:

Kind of. In cells the first course was a lot more relaxed than the following courses, and chem starts by going over spectroscopy and then starting MO stuff. If you haven't read Why Chemical Reactions Happen it could be a good idea to flick through it as it is literally the same as some of the IA content.

ReputationRep:
    But...the colours...

I like black and white, so winter is great. I am in two minds if I want it to snow. On the one hand Cambridge will look very pretty. On the other it will be slippery.

(Original post by vincrows)
    Freshers come from all sorts of school/education backgrounds, so they usually use the first few week or so to make sure everyone is on the same start line when they start revving up the teaching in earnest.
    Yeah, makes sense to do that
    (Original post by alow)
    Kind of. In cells the first course was a lot more relaxed than the following courses, and chem starts by going over spectroscopy and then starting MO stuff. If you haven't read Why Chemical Reactions Happen it could be a good idea to flick through it as it is literally the same as some of the IA content.
    I'll have a look for that, it's on the recommended reading list
    I like black and white, so winter is great. I am in two minds if I want it to snow. On the one hand Cambridge will look very pretty. On the other it will be slippery.
    Buy snow boots with ice studs?

ReputationRep:
    It's written by a couple of people you'll have lectures from in IA. Also if you've been added to your courses on the VLE you could just look through some notes?

ReputationRep:
    Can you access to university library's digital catalogue already? If you can, I'm sure you can read the ebook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Can you access to university library's digital catalogue already? If you can, I'm sure you can read the ebook.
    I actually checked and couldn't find the eBook... despite the fact that it's written by two of our chem lecturers

ReputationRep:
    Buy snow boots with ice studs?
    I'd probably stand on someone with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    I actually checked and couldn't find the eBook... despite the fact that it's written by two of our chem lecturers
    lol it's definitely deliberate.
    They're making sure students have to pay the money for it.

ReputationRep:
    Less than a week left :woo:

Should probably start packing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Less than a week left :woo:

Should probably start packing...
    yea when dyu think the latest feasible time is before I have to start thinking about this stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    yea when dyu think the latest feasible time is before I have to start thinking about this stuff?
    let me whip out my lagrange multipliers and optimise that for you

(Original post by alow)
    It's written by a couple of people you'll have lectures from in IA. Also if you've been added to your courses on the VLE you could just look through some notes?
    Is that moodle? It says I can't enrol onto my courses yet (so can't access anything)
    I'd probably stand on someone with them.
    :lol:

When ur in the car there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    let me whip out my lagrange multipliers and optimise that for you
    lol just saw u were in the Warwick Mauritian fresher society. u an inside agent?

ReputationRep:
    lol just saw u were in the Warwick Mauritian fresher society. u an inside agent?
    Got invited for a lunch at Nandos with the Mauritian peeps, figure why not go and get free food. Ended up sleeping in too late and missed it tho :/

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.