Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm on week 3 of my first placement ( secondary school) and I am really doing battle with bottom set year 9s. I cannot get them to be quiet, especially as I do not want to shout, my voice cannot take it.

so - my question - does anyone have, or know where I can get - a good audio of nails being scraped down a blackboard? My plan, is next time they are not listening, is to play that audio, until they shut-up (and then tell them that they will hear said horrible noise everytime they ignore my requests to be quiet).

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smartarse1983)
    Hi

I'm on week 3 of my first placement ( secondary school) and I am really doing battle with bottom set year 9s. I cannot get them to be quiet, especially as I do not want to shout, my voice cannot take it.

so - my question - does anyone have, or know where I can get - a good audio of nails being scraped down a blackboard? My plan, is next time they are not listening, is to play that audio, until they shut-up (and then tell them that they will hear said horrible noise everytime they ignore my requests to be quiet).

Thanks
    Sorry to hear you're having a bit of trouble. My Year 2s are pretty rowdy but there's no major behaviour issues which I'm grateful for. Don't have any nails scraping sounds but I found having a timer up on the board and starting it every time they waste my time, and then keeping them back in their breaktime worked pretty well when I taught teachers. Just be careful not to punish the kids who are well behaved too!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Thanks
    Well you could find such a thing on YouTube but I wouldn't go down that road. Not fair on the good kids. I'm an NQT doing battle with 2 of my own groups of year 9 and the best advice I have for you is wait. Just wait, and you can be silently noting down time wasted and the names of those who are wasting it on the board. It will probably feel like a lifetime standing and waiting for them but it is worth it.

You're right not to shout, especially not over them. I have done that a couple of times in a vague attempt to let the kids who were listening know what to do, but it's not worth straining your voice over.

I do have one other thing that's vaguely worked for me- give them a starter on a sheet of paper outside the room when they're lining up- that way the expectation of work is set (and at the very least they will have probably done one useful thing). My 'starter' is pretty much always a worksheet consolidating last lesson.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/i

ReputationRep:
    Had my first PGCE related nightmare last night! I'm teaching 2 art lessons next week, making a bonfire and firework picture using collage and straw blowing paint. I've been pretty worried about not having enough materials at school for it so I've bought some bits like tissue paper and cellophane, but don't want to spend too much. Anyway, I'm teaching on Tuesday, but in my nightmare I got it wrong and was actually teaching on Monday, I'd bought none of the materials in, had no example to show them, didn't have my ppt ready and just couldn't do it, it was a disaster, in the end my mentor stepped in with a backup lesson she'd prepared because she expected me to mess up

On another tangent completely... I've decided I'd like to look for jobs in London. Does anyone know where to start with the job hunt? Beyond TES Jobs I haven't got a clue!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarang_assa)
    Had my first PGCE related nightmare last night! I'm teaching 2 art lessons next week, making a bonfire and firework picture using collage and straw blowing paint. I've been pretty worried about not having enough materials at school for it so I've bought some bits like tissue paper and cellophane, but don't want to spend too much. Anyway, I'm teaching on Tuesday, but in my nightmare I got it wrong and was actually teaching on Monday, I'd bought none of the materials in, had no example to show them, didn't have my ppt ready and just couldn't do it, it was a disaster, in the end my mentor stepped in with a backup lesson she'd prepared because she expected me to mess up

On another tangent completely... I've decided I'd like to look for jobs in London. Does anyone know where to start with the job hunt? Beyond TES Jobs I haven't got a clue!!
    I've had that before!

Other places to look for jobs... Eteach is somewhere schools might post if they don't use TES, and otherwise it's LEA websites.

ReputationRep:
    Frazzled is how you feel and I know cause I feel it too!!! I am exactly the same 2nd year PGCE, I keep hearing myself say is this really for me, I have never been as stressed in my life and I have been in youth work and social work. I was with friends at the weekend and all that I am thinking about are lesson plans, schemes and essays and trying to be creative too in the classroom, its like its took over my life. I keep making mistakes such as double booking myself which I have never done and I think its all because of stress, I am sure it will get better once the initial shock of the reality of teaching kicks in, I didnt realise there would be so much workload, sometimes the teachers are still at college at nine or ten at night, but saying that I think I would be gutted not to finish, I am going to grit my teeth get it done and then decide once I have the qual i have been told loads that it will get easier so hold on in there with me and remember its not life and death stuff its just a post grad

ReputationRep:
    Just on a lighter note, I wanted to share the example bonfire collage I made to show the kids. The first lesson I'm teaching is art on Tuesday and I'm quite proud of it lol!! Back at school tomorrow after being away for 2 weeks, I'm rather nervous!!

Name:  9cfe8d12269c11e28e5722000a9f195f_7.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  173.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    I am teaching my first lesson tomorrow to my year two class. I am absolotely petrified feel sick thinking about it! Trying to pull myself together, i know i will be so relieved once the first one is over!!

ReputationRep:
    i am interested in a secondary pgce for 2013 but hearing how tyring it is and having a 6 year old child and no help on chilcare from relatives I wonder if it is for me and if i will cope.
    Does any one know if a primary pgce is less stressfull?
    alternativelly is a part time secondary pgce more manageble?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cvbiopc)
    i am interested in a secondary pgce for 2013 but hearing how tyring it is and having a 6 year old child and no help on chilcare from relatives I wonder if it is for me and if i will cope.
    Does any one know if a primary pgce is less stressfull?
    alternativelly is a part time secondary pgce more manageble?
    I think strss is a relative thing, so it is impossible to say which is more or less stressful.

The primary pgce will feature slightly more university time and is often a bit longer than the secondary pgce [at my university, we were in for around 3/4 weeks longer]. You are preparing to teach up to 12/13 subjects and that alone can be stressful if you haven't studied the subjects in a while or you don't have a particular strength in them.
    Similarly, on placement, the stresses will be different. If you love your class, it can be fantastic [as my main placement was]. But, if there are problems or tensions, you are with the same children all day, every day. You don't have the variety of classes secondary teachers get.

Both are hard work. But they usually attract different people, so I would really think about [or better yet, observe/help in each school] which school is better for you personally. Neither primary or secondary is an easy option.

ReputationRep:
    Yup it is pretty stressful on the secondary front too but for wholly different reasons, the best thing to do is get out there and really make sure it's what you want to do as that's what keeps me going (especially in a hard lesson) if you really want to teach go for it but you may need to make contingency plans for emergencies and bear in mind it is something yu'll have to really dedicate yourself to!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, hope you don´t mind if I join you all. I´m not doing a PGCE yet, but I am teaching English abroad. Learning as I go so I can empathise with the majority of you.

If anyone needs to chat or vent, just message or quote me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarang_assa)
    Just on a lighter note, I wanted to share the example bonfire collage I made to show the kids. The first lesson I'm teaching is art on Tuesday and I'm quite proud of it lol!! Back at school tomorrow after being away for 2 weeks, I'm rather nervous!!

Name:  9cfe8d12269c11e28e5722000a9f195f_7.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  173.5 KB
    (Original post by MissLadyBird)
    How did your first lessons go? Well I hope! I was always really nervous before the first lesson too..but it goes away after the first few minutes and you just get on with it don't you!

ReputationRep:
    Thought I'd take the plunge and do my skills tests today....

Was so scared for the maths one that I didn't do any work on English and passed maths but failed the English paper (by 1 mark so would have passed last year!).

The mental maths one was slightly harder than the online tests but the calculator side wasn't that bad.

I'm really annoyed with myself over the English one as if I had just done a small amount of revision I'd have passed it but not have to spend £20 doing it again next week! Glad the maths one is out of the way, it's been plaguing me all year.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I have had a an awful week.

I keep getting conflicting advice from the teachers observing me. I've been informally observed about 6 times by 3 different teachers in the department.

Teacher A said that my lessons are well structured with a range of activites, i've made a good start but behaviour is a concern.Fine, I totally agree. Teacher B, said more or less the same thing, but added that I have a good, friendly, yet not too friendly way with the pupils. But Teacher C, everytime I get feedback its almost entirely negative, she told me my activities are pointless, that I entirely lack 'presence' (one lesson she told me I needed to be stricter with the behaviour, now she is telling me I am not friendly enough) and that I need to be louder ( I am trying not to be one of those teachers that shouts all the time). She also kept telling me 'I need to sort it out quickly,' because otherwise I will have a hell of a time on placement 2.

The thing is, I know what I need to improve on, but this was only my second ever week of proper teaching, I can't seem to apply it all at once.

I'm also confused, is Teacher C being too harsh? Or are Teachers A and B being too leniant, and have noticed the same things wrong as Teacher C, but are taking a 'lets just deal with one issue at a time' approach in telling me these things. Whats even more confusing, is that all my classes with Teacher C, are shared classes with Teachers A and B, so its not as if I have entirely different pupils with Teacher C.

confused.com!

ReputationRep:

I keep getting conflicting advice from the teachers observing me. I've been informally observed about 6 times by 3 different teachers in the department.

Teacher A said that my lessons are well structured with a range of activites, i've made a good start but behaviour is a concern.Fine, I totally agree. Teacher B, said more or less the same thing, but added that I have a good, friendly, yet not too friendly way with the pupils. But Teacher C, everytime I get feedback its almost entirely negative, she told me my activities are pointless, that I entirely lack 'presence' (one lesson she told me I needed to be stricter with the behaviour, now she is telling me I am not friendly enough) and that I need to be louder ( I am trying not to be one of those teachers that shouts all the time). She also kept telling me 'I need to sort it out quickly,' because otherwise I will have a hell of a time on placement 2.

The thing is, I know what I need to improve on, but this was only my second ever week of proper teaching, I can't seem to apply it all at once.

I'm also confused, is Teacher C being too harsh? Or are Teachers A and B being too leniant, and have noticed the same things wrong as Teacher C, but are taking a 'lets just deal with one issue at a time' approach in telling me these things. Whats even more confusing, is that all my classes with Teacher C, are shared classes with Teachers A and B, so its not as if I have entirely different pupils with Teacher C.

confused.com!
    Whats your subject? I'm curious, just thinking about it from a history perspective. My observers have said that my activities are good but need more scaffolding for year 7. I struggle with finding creative ways to provide them with the knowledge ie facilitating their own learning rather than just telling them it. It is difficult when you're getting different and opposing views from each side, I think we have to take knocks on the chin and roll with the punches, which is easier said than done I know. How can we expect to be perfect when we've only just begun! I think its a bit harsh to say you'll have problems in placement 2; that's months off and we're learning/ improving all the time!

ReputationRep:

Obviously it's hard to tell, but it sounds to me like Teacher C is being a bit too harsh, seeing as Teachers A and B are giving more positive feedback.

Maybe try and ask Teachers A and B about some of the issues Teacher C has raised, but not in a way that sounds like you're criticising them.
    eg: "Was I loud enough this lesson? Because on Thursday Teacher C said I was too quiet and I'm trying to work on that."
    "Do you have any suggestions of how I could improve this activity? It's just that Teacher C said it wasn't really relevant to my lesson objectives."

Obviously you can't go mad with this approach as it will soon become obvious, but it could be a way of gauging what they think, without directly asking if C is being harsh.

They might tell you they don't think you have a problem with those aspects in their lessons, or they might say it is a bit of a weakness but not a major issue so don't worry about it too much yet - focus on the main areas to improve. Either way, it's good to know.

My co-tutor has decided each observation (or even a week of observations) should have one focus, related to the Teacher Standards, ie: behaviour management, inclusion/differentiation, assessment, subject/curriculum knowledge. Maybe you could suggest this approach so that rather than C criticising every aspect of your lesson, they'll look at one thing next week and another the week after...

I'm teaching my first lesson on Monday (and then teaching all of my lessons from now on unless I decide I want to step back and team-teach/do parts of lessons for a while).

ReputationRep:

confused.com!
    This basically exactly the problem I had!
    What I would do (and what I ought to have done, with hindsight!) is pick ONE thing to focus on per lesson and tell that to the teacher and say that is what you would like them to focus on in the observation. Once you have that nailed then move onto the next thing. It's a much more efficient way of improving without everything being too overwhelming. Prioritise - what is is the most important thing for you to address?
    Don't let teacher C get you down, focus on what you need to do. I had way too much feedback in my ITT year, if I'd have prioritised and picked out things to focus on in a better way then the year would have been way easier!

ReputationRep:

confused.com!
    Yeah it is a lot to take on at once - if it were possible to fix everything you need to work on in one go, what's the point in training for a whole year?

What's annoyed me most about what teacher c has said was that you will have problems with behaviour on placement 2, with DIFFERENT pupils in a DIFFERENT school with most likely a different behaviour policy. You will also have had the experience of starting with new classes by the time you get there so ignore her.

Have a chat with your mentor and define some clear points you're going to focus on each week/fortnight, and tell the teachers you're working with that these are the things you would like them to give you the bulk of your feedback on.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't read this whole post so this might be completely irrelevant. But for all of you on PGCE courses, my best piece of advice is don't try to reinvent the wheel! If there's already resources which can be tailored to your lessons, use those, you don't have to create your own resources for every little lesson. Sure you might have to tailor them a bit or add on your own bits, but this is so much easier than doing it all from scratch! Ask teachers in your placement school or check online with various websites like TES.

I know how you all feel cos I did my PGCE two years ago, whilst battling some serious health problems, so it can be done. But I totally relate to the being too tired to do anything come the weekends and the days where you leave so early in the morning it's dark and returning so late in the evening it's dark!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.