Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by reubenkinara)
    I hope you do get an A*, you deserve it
    Thanks! Same to you too and it would be rather nice to be able to say I got an A*, although it would also be nicer to say I got more than one

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    Thanks! Same to you too and it would be rather nice to be able to say I got an A*, although it would also be nicer to say I got more than one

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Besides maths, what subjects would you say you have a good chance of getting an A* in. Further maths perhaps?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Besides maths, what subjects would you say you have a good chance of getting an A* in. Further maths perhaps?
    I'd say Further Maths and maybe even possibly Chemistry as its all going to be based on my results from this June so I might do well enough to get the A* in that too! But I definitely want it in Maths and Further Maths at least

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I'd say Further Maths and maybe even possibly Chemistry as its all going to be based on my results from this June so I might do well enough to get the A* in that too! But I definitely want it in Maths and Further Maths at least

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same. As you know, I'm repeating the AS maths so the A* doesn't really seemed earned (assuming I get it), whereas in FM it would be
    It's STEP 1, 2 and AEA you also doing right?
    Are you doing those this yr, or next?
    Also, how's the prep going? Is it distracting you from the syllabus maths or does it reinforce it?

ReputationRep:
    Same. As you know, I'm repeating the AS maths so the A* doesn't really seemed earned (assuming I get it), whereas in FM it would be
    Also, how's the prep going? Is it distracting you from the syllabus maths or does it reinforce it?
    Well, you're repeating the AS Maths, not the A2... it's the A2 that counts for the A*, so I'm sure it's still well "earned"!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    That's fair enough and I've only resat like 2 Maths exams including the C3 I'm doing so its a bit different for me.

Yeah those are the 3 I'm doing and I'll be sitting them this year in just under a month! I feel the prep is going okayish but could be better if I wasn't incredibly distracted by my Chemistry units!

I've hardly looked at AEA, but there's always a really big vectors question which might pull me down quite a bit, so I'm probably just gonna try my best in STEP to see if I get in and I feel since I've tackled the style of questions which are asked in them it's made the normal stuff seem very simple and straightforward in comparison, which I feel is a good position to be in as I just have to be careful about stupid mistakes now and not understanding the content correctly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by justinawe)
    Well, you're repeating the AS Maths, not the A2... it's the A2 that counts for the A*, so I'm sure it's still well "earned"!
    What are you doing STEP/AEAwise?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    That's fair enough and I've only resat like 2 Maths exams including the C3 I'm doing so its a bit different for me.

Yeah those are the 3 I'm doing and I'll be sitting them this year in just under a month! I feel the prep is going okayish but could be better if I wasn't incredibly distracted by my Chemistry units!

I've hardly looked at AEA, but there's always a really big vectors question which might pull me down quite a bit, so I'm probably just gonna try my best in STEP to see if I get in and I feel since I've tackled the style of questions which are asked in them it's made the normal stuff seem very simple and straightforward in comparison, which I feel is a good position to be in as I just have to be careful about stupid mistakes now and not understanding the content correctly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Will the AEA vectors be akin to FP3 vectors? Perhaps you could look at that as a resource?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Will the AEA vectors be akin to FP3 vectors? Perhaps you could look at that as a resource?
    I'm not sure as they can only ask us about content on C1-4 so that shouldn't happen, however they say a diagram is incredibly helpful and I'm absolutely terrible about drawing the diagrams as I can't understand it in my head, so I wouldn't be able to draw a diagram on it, plus the log questions they ask confuse me with the use of the sigma symbol, I'll probably look back at logs into more detail soon and same about series too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What are you doing STEP/AEAwise?
    STEP I-III next year, I expect.

I was considering doing STEP I early, but by the time I starting considering this, I was about halfway through March, so I wasn't confident I could get myself up to the level required in time.

AEA Maths is significantly easier than STEP I, and I would have sat for it this year if I could, but it appears that AEA Maths is not available in my country.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I'm not sure as they can only ask us about content on C1-4 so that shouldn't happen, however they say a diagram is incredibly helpful and I'm absolutely terrible about drawing the diagrams as I can't understand it in my head, so I wouldn't be able to draw a diagram on it, plus the log questions they ask confuse me with the use of the sigma symbol, I'll probably look back at logs into more detail soon and same about series too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I see

STEP I-III next year, I expect.

I was considering doing STEP I early, but by the time I starting considering this, I was about halfway through March, so I wasn't confident I could get myself up to the level required in time.

AEA Maths is significantly easier than STEP I, and I would have sat for it this year if I could, but it appears that AEA Maths is not available in my country.
    I see. For you, which would be preferable: an A*A*A offer with 1, 2 in Step 1 and 2 respectively. Or A*AA offer with 1, 1 in Step 2 and 3?

ReputationRep:
    I see. For you, which would be preferable: an A*A*A offer with 1, 2 in Step 1 and 2 respectively. Or A*AA offer with 1, 1 in Step 2 and 3?
    The former, easily. Did you mean 1, 2 in STEP II and III, for the first one? Either way, I'd take that one.

I'm far more confident of an A* in Further Maths than two 1s in any two STEP papers :lol:

ReputationRep:
    My god, that's very last minute then! And I'm hoping come results day we'll both be celebrating our A*'s in Maths!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I really hope so!

Business was okay

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369139912.917404.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  173.0 KB on this hypothesis I get how it's two tailed and I get how 10 is the test stat but I don't get how p is greater than 10 and not less than 10 anyone know why ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone have a go at this question please?

i can do part A

i know how to find the acceleration in part B but i cant get the rest

and then for part C i dont get where they are getting the constant from

Name:  q1.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  41.9 KB

grr.... exam tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanb97)
    Remember the particle starts out at the point \displaystyle (2 , 0) .

When you find the co-ordinates of P for when it is at instantaneous rest, you have to then take into account that it has moved that distance from point \displaystyle (2 , 0) .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanb97)
    Could anyone have a go at this question please?

i can do part A

i know how to find the acceleration in part B but i cant get the rest

Name:  q1.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  41.9 KB

grr.... exam tomorrow!
    For part b:

a = \dfrac{dv}{dt} = -10\sin 2t

What's the maximum value of -10\sin 2t ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scientific Eye)
    Remember the particle starts out at the point \displaystyle (2 , 0) .

When you find the co-ordinates of P for when it is at instantaneous rest, you have to then take into account that it has moved that distance from point \displaystyle (2 , 0) .

For part b:

a = \dfrac{dv}{dt} = -10\sin 2t

What's the maximum value of -10\sin 2t ?
    oh ... max @ 10 grrr

ive worked out how to find C now

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Noob question alert: how do you integrate tanx im stuck on a long q and this came up i forgot how to do it havent done much c4 for the past 2-3 weeks:/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revisionbug)
    Noob question alert: how do you integrate tanx im stuck on a long q and this came up i forgot how to do it havent done much c4 for the past 2-3 weeks:/
    Urmmm... Google it :mmm: I think it's a little long

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.