Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Football League thread II watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Kit Symons for Fulham job with Danny Murphy as his number two.

ReputationRep:
    What are everyone’s thoughts with regards to “bubble” football matches, especially at a lower level?

Tomorrows Chester-Wrexham derby is a bubble match and because of this it means I can’t go to the game as I can’t finish work early to pick the coach up from Wrexham, whereas if this been treated like a normal game I would have easily made the journey. The match kicks off at 8pm and the coach leaves Wrexham at 5:45 and it will take a total of 2 hours 15 minutes to travel 13 miles to Chester, which can take less than 20-25 minutes on a normal commute. For the majority of time on the coach you will be stationary before pulling up to the stadium.

Out of our 1,200 ticket allocation it’s been said that only half of the tickets have sold as there seems to be a few people in the same boat as myself or other fans are simply boycotting the game as they don’t want any of these bubble match restrictions.

For a game that receives less than 5,000 fans, are measures like this really needed? Last season it cost over £40,000 for policing costs for this fixture and there was said to be one officer for every 19 fans, whereas apparently for the Manchester derby there is one officer for every 190 fans.

Obviously the match against your local rivals is one of the fixtures you most look forward to and I actually don't remember the last time i missed a Chester away trip but for this one I'm going to have to make do with watching it on BT Sports, which will feel bizarre as it's only being played in Chester! :closedeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluttershy)
    Championship is really hotting up at the top with so many teams dropping points. Think Norwich need to really get their first 45mins sorted out though soon if they want to remain on track for automatic promotion. Second game in a week where they have gone in at half time 2-0 down, and this time it cost 2 points. Home form is not what it could be either, but away form is compensating.
    Personally I think we were unlucky to be 2-0 down at half time because we started the first half a lot brighter than the previous 2 games and both goals carried deflections (although Ruddy should do better with the first goal).

ReputationRep:
    Surely Wolves can't have two good seasons in a row, what is this shiz?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by hskjlclcn)
    Back-to-back promotions are pretty common these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hskjlclcn)
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Aye, Man City & Southampton & Norwich being recent examples. I also heard that Fleetwood achieved 6 promotions in 10 seasons, not sure whether that's true or not though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by TornadoGR4)
    Aye, Man City & Southampton & Norwich being recent examples. I also heard that Fleetwood achieved 6 promotions in 10 seasons, not sure whether that's true or not though.
    It's definitely something along those lines. Madness.

Back in the day Rushden and Diamonds went from formation to Division Two (now League One) in nine years.

I was feeling all happy and confident, then we conceded seven in two games. Hopefully we'll beat Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    Things don't work out that well for us, it's not natural having positivity around the place

I feel a lot of sympathy for Orient fans at the moment.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by TornadoGR4)
    I also heard that Fleetwood achieved 6 promotions in 10 seasons, not sure whether that's true or not though.
    Back in the day Rushden and Diamonds went from formation to Division Two (now League One) in nine years.
    Not that hard to do when you have a rich benefactor funding everything. Fleetwood spent £200,000 on transfers during their two years in the Conference, which is a ridiculously high sum at that level. When Fleetwood were still a non league club, loads of clubs wanted Jamie Vardy in the January transfer window, yet they were able to turn down really high bids for him until the summer when they had secured promotion. Most clubs in League One wouldn't have been able to turn down a bid of that size.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Not that hard to do when you have a rich benefactor funding everything. Fleetwood spent £200,000 on transfers during their two years in the Conference, which is a ridiculously high sum at that level. When Fleetwood were still a non league club, loads of clubs wanted Jamie Vardy in the January transfer window, yet they were able to turn down really high bids for him until the summer when they had secured promotion. Most clubs in League One wouldn't have been able to turn down a bid of that size.
    Southampton owed it all to the Liebherrs as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The Canaries top the Championship
    The Robins top the third division (as I call it)
    The Bees top the Conference
    Do the Brewers feel the odd one out?

ReputationRep:
    Happy chappy at the moment.
    Top of the Football League!

Not sure how long it will last to be fair...

ReputationRep:
    Disappointed to not pick anything up at Brentford, particularly after getting 10 points from our previous 12. Apparently they absolutely battered us & ran the show in midfield.

ReputationRep:
    Awful first half but all the fighting spirit and teamwork that Sir Kenny has bought in evident in the second half. A draw was fair, and we are still on course!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Freedman will be gone if Bolton fail to get anything at Craven Cottage in midweek. Has the whiff of a six-pointer about it, even though we're only in September.

ReputationRep:
    Oscar Garcia resigns at Watford due to ill health.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Freedman will be gone if Bolton fail to get anything at Craven Cottage in midweek. Has the whiff of a six-pointer about it, even though we're only in September.
    Fulham are in a false position I think. Bolton on the other hand...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    Oscar Garcia resigns at Watford due to ill health.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's a shame for him, but was there any point in getting rid of Sannino?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 22, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.