Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WinterApproaches)
    10A* 2As
    AAAB (Extenuating circumstances throughout the year, which worsened during exam season as well as unexpected tragedy)
    Is it worth applying for PPE?
    Definitely worth applying. Make sure you ace the TSA.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WinterApproaches)
    10A* 2As
    AAAB (Extenuating circumstances throughout the year, which worsened during exam season as well as unexpected tragedy)
    Is it worth applying for PPE?
    Good luck, I'm applying too. What A levels are you taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecconomist)
    Are you saying Durham and Bristol will offer you a place of your choice because you have done their summer schools?
    Indeed, I am. :ahee:
    All I need to do is get the grades now.
    "Guaranteed OffersAny student who is accepted onto and participates in Durham University’s Sutton Trust Summer School will receive a guaranteed standard offer if they subsequently apply to Durham University. For students to be eligible to receive a guaranteed standard offer, it is expected that they will meet or be in a position to meet all the general entry requirements (e.g. required A-level subjects) for their chosen programme. Some exceptions or additional requirements may apply (e.g. satisfactory admissions test performance or satisfactory interview for those programmes that require it)." -Taken off Durham's website.
    And, the Bristol summer school was in year 11, so it isn't the Sutton Trust one - but they sent out documents which confirm this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olax98)
    Indeed, I am. :ahee:
    All I need to do is get the grades now.
    "Guaranteed OffersAny student who is accepted onto and participates in Durham University’s Sutton Trust Summer School will receive a guaranteed standard offer if they subsequently apply to Durham University. For students to be eligible to receive a guaranteed standard offer, it is expected that they will meet or be in a position to meet all the general entry requirements (e.g. required A-level subjects) for their chosen programme. Some exceptions or additional requirements may apply (e.g. satisfactory admissions test performance or satisfactory interview for those programmes that require it)." -Taken off Durham's website.
    And, the Bristol summer school was in year 11, so it isn't the Sutton Trust one - but they sent out documents which confirm this.
    Fair enough, not heard of that before. That's so useful to fall back on, especially for competitive subjects such as law.

Good luck then!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm a little concerned about how i go about writing the personal statement: i'm applying for history and politics at oxford, politics at exeter, durham and warwick and government at lse. how do i write the personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    anyone know what it's like studying English Lit at St John's or LMH?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    Hi everyone,

I'm a little concerned about how i go about writing the personal statement: i'm applying for history and politics at oxford, politics at exeter, durham and warwick and government at lse. how do i write the personal statement?
    Depending on which place you want most, focus heavily on your enthusiasm and ability for that subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivoryfall)
    Depending on which place you want most, focus heavily on your enthusiasm and ability for that subject.
    Ok. thank you. I would in any case focus mainly on politics but also give a substantial paragraph about history, though this would be smaller due to the fact that my passion and enthusiasm for politics is greater.

Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iBall)
    Do you have grade profiles for E&M
    I would also like to see this. Has it been posted - I can't seem to find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    The distributions are all pretty similar. Many very strong GCSE profiles but some have lower numbers of A*s than you probably expected - this reflects the impact of very good admissions test performances, the consideration given to contextual information, or a combination of both.

Anyway, for Classics (applied to Brasenose, interviewed any college, with a GCSE profile of at least one GCSE);

10A* 10A* 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 11A* 11A* 11A*-1A 12A* 12A* 12A*-1A 1A*-12A 1A*-3A-2B-1C-1E 1A*-5A-2B-1C 2A*-1A-5B 2A*-2A-4B-1C 2A*-2A-6B-1C 3A*-3A 3A*-7A 4A*-6A-1B 4A*-7A 5A*-3A-3B 5A*-4A 5A*-5A-1B 5A*-7A-1B 6A*-3A-1B 6A*-4A 6A*-4A 6A*-5A 6A*-6A 7A*-2A-1B 7A*-3A 7A*-3A 7A*-3A 7A*-3A 8A*-1A-1B 8A*-5A 9A*-1A 9A*-1A 9A*-1A 9A*-1A 9A*-2A 9A*-2A
    Thank you, that is very interesting and just goes to show that GCSE's are in fact only a small factor.

Specifically, by giving 6 points to an A* and 1 point to an E, there is a massive range of 77 points to 33!

Also, as there are 42 offers here, and the BNC website says you make just 8 offers across all Classics courses, the vast majority of offers made to BNC applicants must end up in other colleges.

Now, I know that BNC is popular but I am really surprised by that statistic. Logically there must be lots of colleges with very few, if any, successful Classics applicants.

This does not change my view on where I will apply, but it does put things in context.

I guess it is unfair to ask, but it would be interesting to see the GCSE's attained by those not offered a place! Can you even say how many applicants BNC receives?

Thank you again for providing this data, most enlightening.

Gerry.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Also, as there are 42 offers here, and the BNC website says you make just 8 offers across all Classics courses, the vast majority of offers made to BNC applicants must end up in other colleges.

Our post explains that we have listed the GCSEs of applicants with this qualification who applied to us and who were interviewed by our selectors or at another college.

ReputationRep:

Our post explains that we have listed the GCSEs of applicants with this qualification who applied to us and who were interviewed by our selectors or at another college.
    Could you shed any light on my previous question in regards to weighing Irish Junior Certificate against GCSE? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Would you be able to provide the GCSE profiles for Economics & Management please?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hh510)
    Could you shed any light on my previous question in regards to weighing Irish Junior Certificate against GCSE? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We've read your post. There are a few Irish students at Brasenose at the moment reading PPE, Biochemistry, English, and Modern Languages. There are also a number of graduates, as well as Tutors.

We would take advice when assessing the Irish Junior Certificate from Oxford's Undergraduate Admissions Office and suggest you do the same. Although you are based in the Republic of Ireland, it is possible that the Admissions or Schools Outreach Officers at New College of St Catherine's can help since these colleges lead on outreach in Northern Ireland and probably have a good knowledge of the qualification as well.

We have a sense of what the expectation would be but prefer not to put down a guesstimate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by econam)
    Would you be able to provide the GCSE profiles for Economics & Management please?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Here you are (applied to Brasenose, interviewed by us or at another college, with at least one GCSE qualification):

10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-2A 10A*-3A 11A* 11A*-1A 11A*-1A 11A*-1A-1B 11A*-2A 4A*-4A-2B 5A*-6A 5A*-6A-2B 7A*-1A 7A*-2A-2B 7A*-3A 7A*-3A 7A*-4A 8A*-2A 8A*-2A-1B 8A*-2A-2B 8A*-4A 9A* 9A*-1A-1B 9A*-1B 9A*-2A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gerald DGrilla)
    Thank you, that is very interesting and just goes to show that GCSE's are in fact only a small factor.

Specifically, by giving 6 points to an A* and 1 point to an E, there is a massive range of 77 points to 33!

Now, I know that BNC is popular but I am really surprised by that statistic. Logically there must be lots of colleges with very few, if any, successful Classics applicants.

This does not change my view on where I will apply, but it does put things in context.

I guess it is unfair to ask, but it would be interesting to see the GCSE's attained by those not offered a place! Can you even say how many applicants BNC receives?

Thank you again for providing this data, most enlightening.

Gerry.

96% of applicants for Classics are interviewed, and 37% roughly gain a place. So from 42 only 15 would statistically get a place. Which means only 6 theoretically should be successful elsewhere - obviously it doesn't work precisely.

It also includes people interviewed at other colleges, I doubt BNC could house 42 applicants - probably closer to 20.

BNC is just very popular - or had a very large number of good applicants last year. Unfortunately the statistics for the 2015 cycle haven't been published generally yet.

ReputationRep:
    We've read your post. There are a few Irish students at Brasenose at the moment reading PPE, Biochemistry, English, and Modern Languages. There are also a number of graduates, as well as Tutors.

We would take advice when assessing the Irish Junior Certificate from Oxford's Undergraduate Admissions Office and suggest you do the same. Although you are based in the Republic of Ireland, it is possible that the Admissions or Schools Outreach Officers at Wadham or Worcester can help since these colleges lead on outreach in Northern Ireland and probably have a good knowledge of the qualification as well.

We have a sense of what the expectation would be but prefer not to put down a guesstimate.
    Ok, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi does anyone know how much oxford cares about predicted grades and as results? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azula)
    Hi does anyone know how much oxford cares about predicted grades and as results? Thank you
    Your AS grades and predicted grades need to show you're capable of meeting the standard offer (AAA - A*A*A)

Apart from that they're not used holistically in the application process. Whereas GCSE'S, admissions tests and then interviews are

ReputationRep:
    We would take advice when assessing the Irish Junior Certificate from Oxford's Undergraduate Admissions Office and suggest you do the same. Although you are based in the Republic of Ireland, it is possible that the Admissions or Schools Outreach Officers at Wadham or Worcester can help since these colleges lead on outreach in Northern Ireland and probably have a good knowledge of the qualification as well.
    :confused:

It's New and St Catz that link with Northern Ireland.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.