Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauren5690)
    Hi,
    I've recently submitted all my forms and it has now updated to say my academic reference is "requested" but my employment reference is "not requested", does this mean they won't bother checking it? Or maybe they will do it after the academic one? I only ask because my academic reference is just the head of my course who doesn't really know me (we don't get personal tutors), and I know my employment references would be much better!
    Same for mine. I have a feeling they might skip obtaining employment references if you're still at university, as your academic reference confirms that you've been at university over the past 3+ years and that you're likely to meet their entry requirement.

From Fast Stream site: 'Not requested' status: Reference or document not required or not applicable - No action.

ReputationRep:
    With the group exercise at FSAC, is it normal for the group to go through each of their standpoints in turn followed by more discussion, and do we think this this an advisable approach? :K: It's kinda what I'm picturing, but I have no idea

ReputationRep:
    what is the typical starting salary ? can someone who is on or about to start the grad scheme pm ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ07)
    Not to get ahead of oneself but I was just reading some of the FS material and I'm a bit confused over how the scheme works in terms of promotion. I've applied for the Diplomatic Scheme and central departments. I understand that you are on the FS for two years in four 6-month placements then two 1 year placements but -

Is there automatic promotion if you complete the scheme? (or how does it work when you finish?)

and is it possible to get promoted off the scheme earlier, i.e. after 2-3 years?

Do many FS's get promoted in within 2-4 years?
    Promotion isn't automatic, you have to apply to get a Grade 7 post, they don't just promote you as a reward for performance.

Up till recently the fast stream didn't 'finish', you just stayed as a fast streamer till you got promoted but as I understand it now (worth checking this though) after the designated number of years are up they just put you in to an HEO or SEO role, these are the two grades that the fast stream is equivalent to. Some people will find that even the lower one (HEO) pays better in some departments than being a fast streamer does!

You can get promoted after 2-3 years if you are good and some people do. Speed tends to depend on the department and the stream you are on, economists for instance have a higher number of fast promotees because there is generally more churn in that market with people leaving to go outside as well so there are posts coming up frequently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robboadam31)
    God, I'm so glad the AC is out the way. Brutal.
    I hope you get a positive response and it was worth the pain! I would be interested to know which parts you found the hardest.

ReputationRep:
    On the pre appointment checks page does the status "disclosure certificate rec'd" mean that my disclosure has been successful?

cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stevibobs)
    I hope you get a positive response and it was worth the pain! I would be interested to know which parts you found the hardest.
    Thanks, I hope so too. I have to admit, the Leadership exercise for me was really tough. You're supposed to do 10 mins of presenting, but because I spent so long reading the briefing, I had literally 10-15 seconds to do a really quick plan of what I was gonna say to the assessor, and it lasted 3m14. She wasn't looking too impressed for the rest of the 25 mins of questioning lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizman)
    On the pre appointment checks page does the status "disclosure certificate rec'd" mean that my disclosure has been successful?

cheers
    I think so given it says no action in the table below :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robboadam31)
    Thanks, I hope so too. I have to admit, the Leadership exercise for me was really tough. You're supposed to do 10 mins of presenting, but because I spent so long reading the briefing, I had literally 10-15 seconds to do a really quick plan of what I was gonna say to the assessor, and it lasted 3m14. She wasn't looking too impressed for the rest of the 25 mins of questioning lol.
    I thought the leadership task was the toughest too, but I had the opposite problem; managed to present for ten minutes but, because I'd spent too much time preparing that, I struggled to answer all the assessor's questions.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I think this question has already been answered in the negative, but I wanted to double check with one of you excellent people who has already done FSAC this year -

Do we have to redo the numerical and verbal reasoning tests at FSAC? The guide doesn't mention any.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProbablyNoGod)
    I think so given it says no action in the table below :-)
    cheers, didnt notice that table

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willjuice)
    Hi guys,

I think this question has already been answered in the negative, but I wanted to double check with one of you excellent people who has already done FSAC this year -

Do we have to redo the numerical and verbal reasoning tests at FSAC? The guide doesn't mention any.

Thanks
    I didnt have to do any re tests but maybe that is because oi am on the analytical faststream

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilyc393)
    what is the typical starting salary ? can someone who is on or about to start the grad scheme pm ?
    I think it varies a lot depending on location, stream and department; Im on the economist analytical stream and have been offered a position at DOT at £31.5k (I think this is slightly above the average amount)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParetoOptimum)
    Usual starting salary for a London based economist straight from undergrad is £28k if I recall correctly. Do you have previous professional work experience or a Master's? That could explain your higher salary. And what is DOT? I haven't come across that acronym before...
    Thought I would chime in quickly. My offer is higher from DECC as a fast stream economist, I assume his is from the Department of Transport. Part of the offer is a salary increase for being an economist which increases significantly for having a masters/graduate degree in economics (I only have a joint honours at an undergraduate level and no economics work experience.)

Also, to ProbablyNoGod who mentioned about starting after uni finished, my offer is to start in October but I was given the option of starting before that. How they phrased it very much implied that they greatly preferred if I started in October, which I'll do as I want to enjoy my last proper summer as much as possible, but it's probably possible to start before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParetoOptimum)
    Usual starting salary for a London based economist straight from undergrad is £28k if I recall correctly. Do you have previous professional work experience or a Master's? That could explain your higher salary. And what is DOT? I haven't come across that acronym before...
    I think 28ish is the salary for the generalist scheme and no I dont have any relevant experience/masters qualification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whiiii)
    Thought I would chime in quickly. My offer is £32k from the Department of Energy and Climate Change as a fast stream economist, I assume his is from the Department of Transport. Part of the offer is a £4k salary increase for being an economist which would be increased to £6.8k for having a masters/graduate degree in economics (I only have a joint honours at an undergraduate level and no economics work experience.)

Also, to ProbablyNoGod who mentioned about starting after uni finished, my offer is to start in October but I was given the option of starting before that. How they phrased it very much implied that they greatly preferred if I started in October, which I'll do as I want to enjoy my last proper summer as much as possible, but it's probably possible to start before.
    checked the contract my line manager sent on friday and it is indeed 32k, no idea where I got the 31.5k from.

Looks like I have a free £500 that needs to be spent on something ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I think 28ish is the salary for the generalist scheme and no I dont have any relevant experience/masters qualification.
    that is interesting thank you for sharing !

ReputationRep:
    Think today might be news day? Good luck to all

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The current rate for generalists is £25-27k and as far as I'm aware has always translated to £27k. There is no separate London weighting. Also as far as I'm aware, you'd only get higher than this if you're an existing civil servant currently earning more than that. Other schemes may differ and salary is always under discussion with unions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SalvioHexia)
    With the group exercise at FSAC, is it normal for the group to go through each of their standpoints in turn followed by more discussion, and do we think this this an advisable approach? :K: It's kinda what I'm picturing, but I have no idea

This is exactly what my group did - just make sure you listen to people's points and agree with the valid points they make - maybe try and expand on them? Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.