The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hi there ! I also had a hard time deciding which school to pick but going to my BCU interview definitely helped me decide what I wanted to do and where I wanted to be, I'm currently doing my masters at BCU this year and it's been a great experience. As for the cost there are scholarships available you can apply for :smile: hope this helps ! and best of luck in your interview !

-Rishma
Hi there,
I've been living and studying in Birmingham for the past five months and the bus systems are very reliable and there are many buses to the main BCU campuses. If you were wondering about other accommodations you could check out more here http://www.bcu.ac.uk/student-info/accommodation. BCU has lovely campuses and I really like the atmosphere, and there's lots to do at the city centre. :smile:
Two unis have got back to me after my interviews to tell me I'm 'being pooled' so basically my interviews weren't that great... Fab
Does anyone have a direct number for admissions at BCU? I can never seem to get through to the appropriate person? Thanks.
Original post by schmee2
I have now been offered questionnaire and interview from both unis I applied to but I'm really unsure whether I'm going to continue with my application... I've been desperate to do this course but honestly I don't think I could study full time for that long, I would miss my job too much. I'm considering going to the BCU interview to at least have a look. I also don't think I could afford to study full time and six years to study part time seems so long.
I wondered if anyone knew of any shorter or block courses (ie. distance learning where you attend a few weekends a year) in a similar field to achieve a certificate or diploma or so. This would be without the clinical placements. I found the Sheffield postgrad. I would have to save up but think I'd prefer to study this way. Anyone else feel this way?

I don't know of any distance learning options. I had the same dilemma and ended up quitting my lovely job in Spain and moving back to the UK just to attend the interviews. I applied for Sheffield MMedSci and Newcastle MSc and didn't get either. Postgrad courses are all really competitive and most of the interviewees were applying for the second or third time. Lots had been rejected when they had great experience working as SLT assistants. So yeah.. postgrad is really difficult and really competitive! Not to put you off but just to prepare you!!
Original post by shropshirelass51
Does anyone have a direct number for admissions at BCU? I can never seem to get through to the appropriate person? Thanks.

just checked their website - main admissions number is 0121 331 6295 and the number for the dept is 0121 331 6045 - don't know if this helps
Original post by soufflekitty
My tables discussions were on driving tests and D of E! It's whatever you think made you resilient x

Were you there on the 3rd? If so i think you were on my table! :L
Original post by eskimok1
Two unis have got back to me after my interviews to tell me I'm 'being pooled' so basically my interviews weren't that great... Fab

Which unis are these - never heard of applications being pooled outside of Cambridge applications!
Original post by eskimok1

Don't you already have offer from Reading & City? They re both hard ones to get into as they are so popular so you must be doing something right at interviews! Each uni looks for something different so it probably isn't something you did or didn't do at interview. They also haven't ruled you out yet so it could still be positive news!
Original post by Savyannah
Were you there on the 3rd? If so i think you were on my table! :L

No I was there on the 20th! :smile:
Original post by AmyPilot
just checked their website - main admissions number is 0121 331 6295 and the number for the dept is 0121 331 6045 - don't know if this helps

Thanks, I've tried two different numbers and so far not managed to find anyone available from the department to talk to me, so was hoping for a direct number to SaLT admissions. Will try your two numbers and hopefully will get lucky!
Original post by shropshirelass51
Thanks, I've tried two different numbers and so far not managed to find anyone available from the department to talk to me, so was hoping for a direct number to SaLT admissions. Will try your two numbers and hopefully will get lucky!

Fingers crossed - keep us posted!
I want Marjon and City to reply, I'm sat on a knife edge :s Not had a Track Update since the 23rd December...I'm going insane :x
Marjons said at their interviews yesterday that they would make their decisions on who to offer to on the same day and that we would hear by track soon. I have obsessively (more so than normal, which I didn't think was actually possible!) been checking track and my emails and nothing has come through today. Wish they would hurry up and put us out of our misery if they have already made their minds up lol! I will never claim to be a patient person ever again!!
Original post by soufflekitty
No I was there on the 20th! :smile:

oh just two people on my table also talked out their driving test and D of E! What are the chances!
Original post by AmyPilot

I've just had my Leeds interview. I personally feel like it went really bad and I don't stand a chance! Starting to reconsider my career. Again! Haha this is so stressful it's unreal.
Original post by nesca89
I've just had my Leeds interview. I personally feel like it went really bad and I don't stand a chance! Starting to reconsider my career. Again! Haha this is so stressful it's unreal.

I'm sure you'll have done fine!! All you can do is wait! Did they say how long before a decision? What was the listening test like?

Hopefully if they start making decisions soon it shouldn't be too long before I hear back about an interview!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by speechtherapy01
Hi,
The course is at the City South Campus, the surrounding area is very nice, you have Broad Street nearby which has a lot of restaurants and sociable things to do there. A short bus ride can get you into the city centre (less than 5 minutes!). A lot of people on the course staying in accommodation do get buses to the campus, so you probably won't be alone.
Overall,I am genuinely enjoying my time at the uni, it is a very comfortable, relaxed, friendly atmosphere as it is a healthcare campus.
I recommend you visit for an open day(if you havent already!) to help make your decision!

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Rabiya

I liked the open day I went to - the tutors seemed friendly too! It's so difficult deciding!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
I'm sure you'll have done fine!! All you can do is wait! Did they say how long before a decision? What was the listening test like?

Hopefully if they start making decisions soon it shouldn't be too long before I hear back about an interview!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The listening test was short and fine lol. But the group interview just went awful for me! They didn't say when they were giving out decisions to be honest. Hopefully you'll hear very soon :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest