The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ki Yung Na
Get well soon! What subject? I had one for physics.

Mine was for pharmacy
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by Radville
That's the point, i'm leaning towards both!:biggrin: they have different features that attract me and it's so hard to decide..:biggrin: maybe you know if i could learn a new foreign language in manchester, although i didnt choose a course with a modern language?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, you can definitely learn a new language at Manchester, through one of two routes
The university's LEAP programme, which may be a part of degree, if you want it to be http://www.ulc.manchester.ac.uk/languages/information/faqs/#d.en.152173
The International Society, which is on campus and which has strong links to the uni, but which isn't a part of it. Courses there aren't part of your degree http://www.internationalsociety.org.uk/Classes.html

The work placement is a fantastic opportunity - it's something that will give you the skills and experience that graduate employers want to see, and it will make you far more employable when you come to graduate. Indeed, it's fairly common for people to get a graduate job in the same place where they did their placement.
Original post by Origami Bullets
Yep, you can definitely learn a new language at Manchester, through one of two routes
The university's LEAP programme, which may be a part of degree, if you want it to be http://www.ulc.manchester.ac.uk/languages/information/faqs/#d.en.152173
The International Society, which is on campus and which has strong links to the uni, but which isn't a part of it. Courses there aren't part of your degree http://www.internationalsociety.org.uk/Classes.html

The work placement is a fantastic opportunity - it's something that will give you the skills and experience that graduate employers want to see, and it will make you far more employable when you come to graduate. Indeed, it's fairly common for people to get a graduate job in the same place where they did their placement.

Thank you very much for the info! I'm pretty much sure now i'm firming manchester:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you very much for the info! I'm pretty much sure now i'm firming manchester:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww great news :biggrin: Feel free to ask if you've got any more questions :h:

Next step is choosing your accommodation, if you haven't done so already! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2091577

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking of firming Manchester too :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SezEquestrian
I'm thinking of firming Manchester too :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same, waiting on rest of decisions then Manchester it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply 1667
Anyone else applied for Medical Biochemistry? Just got in :u:
Reply 1668
Is it unusual to have not heard anything back by now? I'm a mature student applying for Computer Science - I don't have particularly relevant A Levels (Chemistry, Biology, Geography) but I've worked in Industry for 7 years (IT Support/SysAdmin stuff) and have some OU credits in Maths, Engineering and Science (inc. Physics) amounting to 110 credits.

I'm paranoid that without an A level in Maths it'll be an automatic rejection - I'm now thinking I should have applied for the Foundation year and progressed from there :frown:
Original post by BenDM
Is it unusual to have not heard anything back by now? I'm a mature student applying for Computer Science - I don't have particularly relevant A Levels (Chemistry, Biology, Geography) but I've worked in Industry for 7 years (IT Support/SysAdmin stuff) and have some OU credits in Maths, Engineering and Science (inc. Physics) amounting to 110 credits.

I'm paranoid that without an A level in Maths it'll be an automatic rejection - I'm now thinking I should have applied for the Foundation year and progressed from there :frown:

You should email or phone the admissions office they'll be able to help you.
Original post by BenDM

It's not unusual at all, but if you're concerned, you can contact the computer science department. It might be worth mentioning to them that if you're unsuccessful for the main degree, you'd be interested in the foundation year.
I have firmed university of Manchester and need to start looking for accommodation. Just wondering if anyone has any information on which is the best campus for accommodation. My course is held in city centre, however have heard Fallowfield is the best student area. Thanks for any help :smile:
Original post by pepperonipizza
I have firmed university of Manchester and need to start looking for accommodation. Just wondering if anyone has any information on which is the best campus for accommodation. My course is held in city centre, however have heard Fallowfield is the best student area. Thanks for any help :smile:

Have you looked at the Accommodation FAQ? It's got loads of information on various aspects of the accommodation available, including campuses etc.

When you say your course is based in the city centre, do you mean Sackville Street/North Campus?
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Have you looked at the Accommodation FAQ? It's got loads of information on various aspects of the accommodation available, including campuses etc.

When you say your course is based in the city centre, do you mean Sackville Street/North Campus?

No I haven't, thank you will check that out now!

It is at Sackville Street :smile:
Original post by pepperonipizza
No I haven't, thank you will check that out now!

It is at Sackville Street :smile:

Ok, cool. Wright Robinson and Weston Hall are by far the most convenient as they're right next to the Sackville Street campus. However, they (and the city halls in general) have a reputation for being less social with a large number of international students. Fallowfield, on the other hand, is much further away but also a lot more social and Victoria Park is kind of in between in both respects. Which campus you choose depends on whether you favour convenience or social life.

My course is based at Sackville Street but I think if I was to live in halls, I'd find living in the city halls slightly depressing (particularly Weston Hall and Wright Robinson). I'd prefer Victoria Park or Fallowfield, personally.
Reply 1675
Original post by Origami Bullets
It's not unusual at all, but if you're concerned, you can contact the computer science department. It might be worth mentioning to them that if you're unsuccessful for the main degree, you'd be interested in the foundation year.

Thanks (and to Ki Yung Na as well) - Phoned them but none of the Admission Officers were there, guy who took my call said he's pass on my details and they'd call me back. If I don't hear back on Monday I'll chase them up.

I guess worse case if I do get a rejection I could see about going through Extra (If I decline any other offers I might get).
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Ok, cool. Wright Robinson and Weston Hall are by far the most convenient as they're right next to the Sackville Street campus. However, they (and the city halls in general) have a reputation for being less social with a large number of international students. Fallowfield, on the other hand, is much further away but also a lot more social and Victoria Park is kind of in between in both respects. Which campus you choose depends on whether you favour convenience or social life.

My course is based at Sackville Street but I think if I was to live in halls, I'd find living in the city halls slightly depressing (particularly Weston Hall and Wright Robinson). I'd prefer Victoria Park or Fallowfield, personally.

Thank you so much! This has been really helpful!
Anybody already applied for accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheGemini
Anybody already applied for accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sent mine off last Sunday :smile:

Original post by TheMysteryMan
Sent mine off last Sunday :smile:

How do you even apply?
Idk what to do ahaha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending