Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beautifulxxx)
    I love this. Though it is quite blunt:
    Surely Twelfth would rhyme better with wealth than tenth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    Ha ha, yes that is true. But forget the numbers...it's the message that counts. Friends can have a very negative impact on you.

ReputationRep:
    SubhanAllah sheikh Bin Baz May Allah bless his soul - a legend of Islam.
    Islamic scholar eventhough he was blind. Inspiring on so many levels. And when he died, hundreds and thousands of people attended his janaza prayer in masjid al Haram.
    I can imagine him lying in his grave, extremely happy - gazing at his place in jannah insha'Allah. I hope this is his situation. And may Allah make it our situation. Ameen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tawheed)
    A big gender divide exists between men and women in their 40s in belief in God and life after death, a poll suggests.
    Of the British men surveyed, 54% said they were atheists or agnostics compared with only 34% of women.
    The study also showed that Muslims in the survey had the fewest doubts about the existence of God and the afterlife.
    The research involving more than 9,000 British people born in 1970 was analysed at the University of Essex.

Belief
    However, only 33% of those who said they were Roman Catholics had no doubts. Among Anglicans and Methodists, the equivalent figure was 16%.
    The study also showed that belief or disbelief in God and the afterlife did not always go together.
    A quarter of those who called themselves agnostic said they did believe in life after death.
    However, nearly a third of those people who labelled themselves as "religious believers who have occasional doubts" did not believe in an afterlife.
    Professor Voas also highlighted the very high level of belief in both God and life after death among Muslims.
    Some 88% of Muslims in the survey said they knew God really existed and had no doubts.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30910342
    Interesting. Thanks for posting

ReputationRep:
    Hate The Sin Not The Sinner

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Hang on, but doesn't Islam claim that Allah created everything from nothing too?
    Yup. But in this case there was an external factor that caused the transition from nothing to something. Idk enough about deism, but VM me if you wish

(Original post by Up quark)
    I miss IdeasForLife

Brother ash, secretly unban him :fuhrer:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No can do :pierre:

I was praying, my baby brother flings a scarf on his head and prays next to me he he. #MenDon'tWearScarves

Alhamdulilah he can say Awah akbah, and ya iyaha illAllah lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

May Allah ta'ala bless him.

I'm not sure if this question is irrational or stupid but I've been thinking about this a lot lately.
    As Muslims, we believe that time going so fast is a sign of the last day. So my question is: What is the scientific reasoning behind time moving like wind ? Google has been a little useless btw.

Here's the hadith: And Ahmad narrated (10560) that Abu Hurayrah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Hour will not begin until time passes quickly, so a year will be like a month, and a month will be like a week, and a week will be like a day, and a day will be like an hour, and an hour will be like the burning of a braid of palm leaves.”

It's probably going down to relativity. Time seems to pass by quicker as our lives become more busier, as work takes more time and we spend less time being relaxed, doing nothing. As society becomes more work-central, so to do our lives - and by extension, us. One tends to not recall work as the time you hold on to, so you have less time in mind of when you did this or that. As well as this, as you grow older, a given amount of time seems less significant. When you were 8 years old, a year was an eighth of your life. A year ago, you could do so much less than what you can now, you knew so much less than you do now, you were significantly smaller than you are now. But at the age of 30, a year is merely a thirtieth of your life. You haven't really changed all that much, neither has your day to day life, neither has your way of thinking.
    I guess that's what it comes down to. Idk if that made sense.

(Original post by The Epicurean)
    I wrote a poem fairly recently :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatMuslimGuy)
    Hate The Sin Not The Sinner

He's talking about just minor sins right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    He's talking about just minor sins right?
    No. As his clear from his example of someone drinking alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatMuslimGuy)
    No. As his clear from his example of someone drinking alcohol.
    How can you not hate someone who committed murder or rape?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    How can you not hate someone who committed murder or rape?
    Mmn, both are despicable acts; but I suppose some people possess enough compassion or fear of Allah swt to not judge or hate like that. Personally, I know it would take me moths before I could even look at the person - but that's a lack of faith on my part. Someone who truly fears Allah is too concerned with his sins and can forgive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash92:))
    Yup. But in this case there was an external factor that caused the transition from nothing to something. Idk enough about deism, but VM me if you wish

No can do :pierre:

May Allah ta'ala bless him.

It's probably going down to relativity. Time seems to pass by quicker as our lives become more busier, as work takes more time and we spend less time being relaxed, doing nothing. As society becomes more work-central, so to do our lives - and by extension, us. One tends to not recall work as the time you hold on to, so you have less time in mind of when you did this or that. As well as this, as you grow older, a given amount of time seems less significant. When you were 8 years old, a year was an eighth of your life. A year ago, you could do so much less than what you can now, you knew so much less than you do now, you were significantly smaller than you are now. But at the age of 30, a year is merely a thirtieth of your life. You haven't really changed all that much, neither has your day to day life, neither has your way of thinking.
    I guess that's what it comes down to. Idk if that made sense.

I wrote a poem fairly recently :ninja:
    He he jazakAllahu khayran. Ameen.
    Yes alhamdulilah that made perfect sense. Thank you. :yy:

Share the poem...pwease

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Musab bin Umayr (ra) - He was a young sahabah when he was sent to Medina (with just one other older Muslim) to live and teach islam to the Muslims in Medina. As a result he also played a part in the increased number of converts by the time the hijra of the Prophet (saw) occurred. Khadija

Umm Ayman (ra) - one of the milk mothers of the Prophet (saw). She was very beloved to the Prophet (saw) and him to her. She used to lovingly call him Ahmed as the Prophet (saw) did. She eventually married Zaid bin Harith (ra)

Zayd bin Harith (ra) was the third person to accept Islam after seeing Khadija and Ali (ra) pray with the Prophet (saw). He was known as Zaid bin Muhammad until the regulations for adoption came about, then he was known as Zayd mowla Muhammad. The adoption regulations also makes him the only sahabi mentioned by name in the Quran.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if this question is irrational or stupid but I've been thinking about this a lot lately.
    As Muslims, we believe that time going so fast is a sign of the last day. So my question is: What is the scientific reasoning behind time moving like wind ? Google has been a little useless btw.
    I remember reading an article that gave a psychological view. Apparently it could have something to do with learning. IIRC, time seems to go more quickly when the new stuff you learn is a smaller proportion of what you already know, and conversely, when new information is a higher proportion compared to what you already know, time appears slower.

That's why, as a 5 year old, the new stuff you take in in one day is quite a lot compared to what you already know (this isn't just school but every bit of information that you take in) and time goes slowly. As we get older, each daily input represents a smaller and smaller proportion of our total knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    He he jazakAllahu khayran. Ameen.
    Yes alhamdulilah that made perfect sense. Thank you. :yy:

Share the poem...pwease

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I posted it on the last ISoc thread, but will repost :pierre:

Poem: ar-Rabb is He.

Who is He? Allah, الرّبّ.

He created us amongst His creations. He designed us amongst His designs.
    He provided for us amongst His dependants. He gave us guidance, He showed us His signs.
    He gave us a choice to worship Him; the universe is constrained under His command. Destined for all of creation, is that which the All-Wise has planned.
    He gave us intellect and understanding; all knowledge and wisdom is His. We observe, we think, we analyse; the best way will always be His.

From Him we ask that he provides for our needs. From Him we ask that He accepts our deeds. From Him we ask that He makes clear to us the right way. From Him we ask that He not let us go astray.

The Creator of the universe, to Him is all praise. He made the moon, the stars, the planets, the sun spreading its rays. The creatures on land, the fish in the sea - none would exist, were it not willed by He. From organisms beyond our sight, to birds flying overhead - had He not sustained us, all life would have been dead.

To Him we give thanks for allowing us to choose, in Him we seek refuge from this favour being misused.
    Him alone do we worship, not worshipping any other in between. We say إيّاك نعبد و إيّاك نستعين .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    I remember reading an article that gave a psychological view. Apparently it could have something to do with learning. IIRC, time seems to go more quickly when the new stuff you learn is a smaller proportion of what you already know, and conversely, when new information is a higher proportion compared to what you already know, time appears slower.

That's why, as a 5 year old, the new stuff you take in in one day is quite a lot compared to what you already know (this isn't just school but every bit of information that you take in) and time goes slowly. As we get older, each daily input represents a smaller and smaller proportion of our total knowledge.
    Oh how interesting. So there are several reasons then it seems.
    Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

He provided for us amongst His dependants. He gave us guidance, He showed us His signs.
    He gave us a choice to worship Him; the universe is constrained under His command. Destined for all of creation, is that which the All-Wise has planned.
    He gave us intellect and understanding; all knowledge and wisdom is His. We observe, we think, we analyse; the best way will always be His.

From Him we ask that he provides for our needs. From Him we ask that He accepts our deeds. From Him we ask that He makes clear to us the right way. From Him we ask that He not let us go astray.

The Creator of the universe, to Him is all praise. He made the moon, the stars, the planets, the sun spreading its rays. The creatures on land, the fish in the sea - none would exist, were it not willed by He. From organisms beyond our sight, to birds flying overhead - had He not sustained us, all life would have been dead.

To Him we give thanks for allowing us to choose, in Him we seek refuge from this favour being misused.
    Him alone do we worship, not worshipping any other in between. We say إيّاك نعبد و إيّاك نستعين .
    Ohh I remember, it was really nice reading it again though. I have to find a way to save it.
    :yy::yy::yy::yy::yy::yy::yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

SubhanAllah Amazing

ReputationRep:
    Ohh I remember, it was really nice reading it again though. I have to find a way to save it.
    :yy::yy::yy::yy::yy::yy::yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Incredible97)
    SubhanAllah Amazing
    :yy:

may Allah ta'ala accept from us. This (ar-Rabb) is my most favourite from the asma ul husna.

ReputationRep:
    Mmn, both are despicable acts; but I suppose some people possess enough compassion or fear of Allah swt to not judge or hate like that. Personally, I know it would take me moths before I could even look at the person - but that's a lack of faith on my part. Someone who truly fears Allah is too concerned with his sins and can forgive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think it's fair to say it means you have lack of faith.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.