Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    Hey Zoe, i've got a quick question and i'm really confused.
    Do you have a one week half term in June and then after that half term do you have the rest of your exams?
    If so, how are you planning to revise for those exams?
    Yes I do have it like that and I plan to relax my revision on the ones I have later on after that week, so I can concentrate on them in that holiday. But I plan to revise for them all the same - I actually really like the fact that we have that week

(Original post by MezmorisedPotato)
    Very productive as I've managed to get what I wanted done and now just reviewing everything since proper revision has been done. Managed to enjoy the time with some Masterchef and House of Cards! More on the work side but still did fun things too. Hope you're very productive on your holidays!
    That's good to hear well done and thank you

Good Evening
    UPDATE 08/04/16
    My Easter break has officially finished and it's gone too quick ... :headfire: At least I did revision
    1. 3 Past papers for Geography Unit 1 - A,A*,A
    2. Looked at weaknesses from past papers
    3. Learnt A* Climate Change Q&A (1-15) for a test
    4. Chemistry Unit 1 paper marked - A*
    5.Questions on Biology Unit 1 - Drugs and Adaptations
    6.Tropical rainforest and describing shape & settlement - Review
    4. Learnt more of A* climate change (15-22)
    Wow well done - and as mentioned you still have the weekend I just hope I can do as much as you have done - it is very impressive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    Yes I do have it like that and I plan to relax my revision on the ones I have later on after that week, so I can concentrate on them in that holiday. But I plan to revise for them all the same - I actually really like the fact that we have that week

That's good to hear well done and thank you

Wow well done - and as mentioned you still have the weekend I just hope I can do as much as you have done - it is very impressive
    Oh ok I was planning to concentrate for the exams before the june half term more and nearly all the time like after school and weekends but do you think that's good?I'm confused and then on Sunday's I would do 4-5 hours of revising for the exams after June
    Thank you You will , i'm sure you'll do more than me
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Oh ok I was planning to concentrate for the exams before the june half term more and nearly all the time like after school and weekends but do you think that's good?I'm confused and then on Sunday's I would do 4-5 hours of revising for the exams after June
    Thank you You will , i'm sure you'll do more than me
    To be honest, you revise how you think it will suit you best, if that means getting it all done now, then do that, but if you want to space it out to the last minute then that is up to you we all work differently
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    UPDATE FOR 08/04/16
    I'm actually happy with what I have done today - for once
    • German past paper and marked with new vocab listed to practice
    • Made 34 ICT revision cards - revising health and safety, security with computers and anti-virus/protection, Computer misuse act
    Notes on
    • Falling objects and roller coasters,
    • kinetic energy,
    • plate tectonics,
    • volcano formation,
    • Economic boom in USA (factors with industrial strength, WW1 etc),

Studied
    • 30 Chemistry Cards,
    • 30 Biology,
    • 92 German vocab,
    • 30 Physics,
    • 36 Geography,
    • 15 History,
    • 25 General knowledge

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, you revise how you think it will suit you best, if that means getting it all done now, then do that, but if you want to space it out to the last minute then that is up to you we all work differently
    Ok thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE FOR 08/04/16
    I'm actually happy with what I have done today - for once
    • German past paper and marked with new vocab listed to practice
    • Made 34 ICT revision cards - revising health and safety, security with computers and anti-virus/protection, Computer misuse act
    Notes on
    • Falling objects and roller coasters,
    • kinetic energy,
    • plate tectonics,
    • volcano formation,
    • Economic boom in USA (factors with industrial strength, WW1 etc),
    Studied
    • 30 Chemistry Cards,
    • 30 Biology,
    • 92 German vocab,
    • 30 Physics,
    • 36 Geography,
    • 15 History,
    • 25 General knowledge
    Wow well done you've done a lot It has finally come to the point where your Easter break starts Excited !! I wondered why you weren't on TSR for a long time today guess you were revising a lot
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Wow well done you've done a lot It has finally come to the point where your Easter break starts Excited !! I wondered why you weren't on TSR for a long time today guess you were revising a lot
    Thank you - I'm sooo happy we have 2 weeks off now, and I feel soooo motivated again

And yes I was revising like crazy because I had just got on a roll so I thought I may as well continue and make the most of it

ReputationRep:
    Today I did an extract question, two past pares on maths which I scored 99/100 and 97/100. Getting closer to my goal:-). Also, I revised crumple zones, fuel consumption, advantages and disadvantages of fuel. Finally finished my French speaking. Took almost the whole day.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is seriously impressive! I'm predicted 11 A*s and an A in maths A level this year and I'm doing around an hour a day, this puts me to shame... Since you seem to be the experts, would anyone care to share some of your revision wisdom? I work Saturdays and Sundays, and see my boyfriend whenever I can which is every night apart from Tuesday and Thursday (unwise, I know). So in reality, In a normal school week I have Tuesday evening and most of Thursday evening (I volunteer at a care home for an hour) to get everything done including washing my hair and generally getting my life together. Oh and I always have a productive hour on a Saturday after finishing work.

Am I really slacking? Where I come from my revision is above and beyond, for example my triple science teacher has set only one past paper for a two week break, and has discouraged us from doing anything else in case we have nervous breakdowns😂 Help!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by sahra30013)
    Today I did an extract question, two past pares on maths which I scored 99/100 and 97/100. Getting closer to my goal:-). Also, I revised crumple zones, fuel consumption, advantages and disadvantages of fuel. Finally finished my French speaking. Took almost the whole day.
    Wow well done - keep it up

(Original post by Littleone2000)
    This thread is seriously impressive! I'm predicted 11 A*s and an A in maths A level this year and I'm doing around an hour a day, this puts me to shame... Since you seem to be the experts, would anyone care to share some of your revision wisdom? I work Saturdays and Sundays, and see my boyfriend whenever I can which is every night apart from Tuesday and Thursday (unwise, I know). So in reality, In a normal school week I have Tuesday evening and most of Thursday evening (I volunteer at a care home for an hour) to get everything done including washing my hair and generally getting my life together. Oh and I always have a productive hour on a Saturday after finishing work.

Am I really slacking? Where I come from my revision is above and beyond, for example my triple science teacher has set only one past paper for a two week break, and has discouraged us from doing anything else in case we have nervous breakdowns😂 Help!
    Hi thank you and honestly don't worry. Revision is unique to everyone and if you feel like you need to revise, then make a timetable and plan what you are going to do for the times you are free (it's impressive that you volunteer, I must add). If you agree with your teacher, then make sure that is your decision and you are happy with it. My revision style is probably too excessive for some and I revise even when it isn't necessary, just so I know I have covered it. What subjects do you do and do you feel you have any particular weaknesses?

ReputationRep:
    Wow well done - keep it up

Hi thank you and honestly don't worry. Revision is unique to everyone and if you feel like you need to revise, then make a timetable and plan what you are going to do for the times you are free (it's impressive that you volunteer, I must add). If you agree with your teacher, then make sure that is your decision and you are happy with it. My revision style is probably too excessive for some and I revise even when it isn't necessary, just so I know I have covered it. What subjects do you do and do you feel you have any particular weaknesses?
    I do double English, triple science, IT, French, psychology, AS maths and business studies (already sat maths and statistics in year 10). It's not so much that I struggle with business and psychology, more that I dislike them. For psychology we do the WJEC exam board (we aren't even Welsh) and the mark schemes are ambiguous and the spec is just frustrating! The qualification is being discontinued with the GCSE changes and I completely agree with that-it's awful. Depending on the mood and personal opinion of the examiner, the same paper could be marked as a C or an A*! Also, the whole department consists of one teacher, who isn't very smart at all, so it scares me that she has sole responsibility for the whole subject. Oh and did I mention we're the Guinea pig year- the first year to sit psychology at GCSE at my school. So yeah that scares me😂.

Back to the point, I really need to revise science as its a lot of content and I've been putting it off. I'm alright at English, I just can't motivate myself to write the responses at home! And I tend to procrastinate by doing maths as it requires the least concentration and I quite enjoy it, that's why I'm well ahead in maths.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you - I'm sooo happy we have 2 weeks off now, and I feel soooo motivated again

And yes I was revising like crazy because I had just got on a roll so I thought I may as well continue and make the most of it
    Your welcome
    Haha that's good keep it up
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I do double English, triple science, IT, French, psychology, AS maths and business studies (already sat maths and statistics in year 10). It's not so much that I struggle with business and psychology, more that I dislike them. For psychology we do the WJEC exam board (we aren't even Welsh) and the mark schemes are ambiguous and the spec is just frustrating! The qualification is being discontinued with the GCSE changes and I completely agree with that-it's awful. Depending on the mood and personal opinion of the examiner, the same paper could be marked as a C or an A*! Also, the whole department consists of one teacher, who isn't very smart at all, so it scares me that she has sole responsibility for the whole subject. Oh and did I mention we're the Guinea pig year- the first year to sit psychology at GCSE at my school. So yeah that scares me😂.

Back to the point, I really need to revise science as its a lot of content and I've been putting it off. I'm alright at English, I just can't motivate myself to write the responses at home! And I tend to procrastinate by doing maths as it requires the least concentration and I quite enjoy it, that's why I'm well ahead in maths.
    We do WJEC for English (because that makes sense!) and I know completely what you mean about the ambiguity. What exam board do you do for science, because I have some flashcards which cover all the topics I study and I could link you to them if you like

For English, rather than write whole essays just plan what you would include, as this takes less time and still highlights where you need to focus. Spend 20-30 minutes making a detailed plan rather than trying to sit for an hour and write page upon page.

As you say you procrastinate with your easy subjects, I really think you need to plan your revision and stick to subjects which are your priority, which may mean the subjects you dislike first. I also understand what you mean about teachers not being the most wise too, so I got around this by trying to revise in a way which makes it more intersting to me. So, if there are diagrams, make diagrams for the wall, or make a colourful mindmap - also do reading around the subject in areas which actually interest you. Even if it is only a small interest it should make the stuying that bit more bearable.

I really hope this helps you

ReputationRep:
    We do WJEC for English (because that makes sense!) and I know completely what you mean about the ambiguity. What exam board do you do for science, because I have some flashcards which cover all the topics I study and I could link you to them if you like

For English, rather than write whole essays just plan what you would include, as this takes less time and still highlights where you need to focus. Spend 20-30 minutes making a detailed plan rather than trying to sit for an hour and write page upon page.

As you say you procrastinate with your easy subjects, I really think you need to plan your revision and stick to subjects which are your priority, which may mean the subjects you dislike first. I also understand what you mean about teachers not being the most wise too, so I got around this by trying to revise in a way which makes it more intersting to me. So, if there are diagrams, make diagrams for the wall, or make a colourful mindmap - also do reading around the subject in areas which actually interest you. Even if it is only a small interest it should make the stuying that bit more bearable.

I really hope this helps you
    Thank you, yes that's very helpful, especially about English- I never really considered that. In all honesty my walls are covered in post its, mindmap and revision cards and it doesn't seem to work for me. Earlier this year, I did make a revision timetable however it never seemed to work e.g. I'd get homework for another subject meaning that I couldn't stick to it on that night. I do OCR gateway B for science (not 21st century).

ReputationRep:
    today
    +create a plan for my third essay response
    +write the first paragraph

and again like i said, i can't sleep until i have done all of that!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Thank you, yes that's very helpful, especially about English- I never really considered that. In all honesty my walls are covered in post its, mindmap and revision cards and it doesn't seem to work for me. Earlier this year, I did make a revision timetable however it never seemed to work e.g. I'd get homework for another subject meaning that I couldn't stick to it on that night. I do OCR gateway B for science (not 21st century).
    Glad I could help and yes, pictures don't work for everyone. I also do OCR gateway B for science so I can give you the links to my flashcards if you want to use them. They require you to sign up with an email but that's it

https://www.brainscape.com/packs/687...ferrer=1904487

ReputationRep:
    today i managed to complete a detailed plan for my third essay, woo
    Spoiler:
    Show
    really lacked motivation though - so it took ages :/
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    UPDATE FOR 09/04/16
    • Inspector Goole character profile added to
    • Crooks profile - description added
    • German past paper and new vocab noted (37/40)
    • 31 biology cards
    • 27 Chemistry
    • Made 44 biology B4 revision cards

Notes on:
    • US system of gov
    • WW1 economic trade
    • Laissez faire
    • Tariffs
    • Low taxation
    • Trusts
    • Women after new deal
    • African Americans after New Deal
    • Wall Street Crash factfile
    • Native Americans and the New Deal
    • Problems in the farming industry
    • New industries, New methods
    • Motor car industry
    • State of mind

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE FOR 09/04/16
    • Inspector Goole character profile added to
    • Crooks profile - description added
    • German past paper and new vocab noted (37/40)
    • 31 biology cards
    • 27 Chemistry
    • Made 44 biology B4 revision cards
    Notes on:
    • US system of gov
    • WW1 economic trade
    • Laissez faire
    • Tariffs
    • Low taxation
    • Trusts
    • Women after new deal
    • African Americans after New Deal
    • Wall Street Crash factfile
    • Native Americans and the New Deal
    • Problems in the farming industry
    • New industries, New methods
    • Motor car industry
    • State of mind
    WOoooW WELL DONE Keep it up !!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by hannahrobinsxn)
    today i managed to complete a detailed plan for my third essay, woo
    Spoiler:
    Show
    really lacked motivation though - so it took ages :/
    Well done that's great to hear, keep it up and enjoy the rest of your weekend

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.