Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What grades are you expecting on results day?
    A*A*A* (A2 only)
    5.80%
    A*A*A (A2 only)
    5.11%
    A*AA (A2 only)
    8.61%
    AAA
    10.88%
    AAB
    14.14%
    ABB
    12.30%
    BBB
    5.44%
    BBC
    6.16%
    BCC
    5.05%
    CCC
    1.75%
    CCD
    4.08%
    A*AB (A2 only)
    4.86%
    A*BB (A2 only)
    1.42%
    ABC
    5.89%
    ACC
    1.48%
    Other
    7.04%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    I'd like to know how teachers react when getting the students results like if they ***** about that kid they knew was gonna fail ect ; would be interesting to see what goes on
    I've always wondered that too, do they go to the other teacher like, "Look at this, Bill! Tom got an E! Where's that fiver we bet on?!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudentInSociety)
    I've always wondered that too, do they go to the other teacher like, "Look at this, Bill! Tom got an E! Where's that fiver we bet on?!"
    yhhhhh trust me I bet teachers have lots of banter surrounding results especially when its some gcse grade which really doesn't matter, and yh i wanna go into teaching and i will try and place some bets hahahahah . I do think sometimes teachers are a bit clueless as to what results their students are actually going to get cause you can't really tell who revises outside of lessons ect so i bet they get quite a few surprise grades appearing and realise they judged a student wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Yeah, it seems more spiteful than anything else. Unless they can make you still pay the £9k a year dispite not going?
    Pretty sure that's illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Yeah, it seems more spiteful than anything else. Unless they can make you still pay the £9k a year dispite not going?
    (Original post by Pato1)
    Pretty sure that's illegal.
    They can't do that because you're legally bound to pay £9k to the uni you'll physically be studying at. If you dont end up going to that uni then student finance can transfer the money to whichever uni you end up in

Also you can claim that £9k back if they have taken it by mistake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Altun63)
    I signed up to that recent UCAS clearing which was emailed to me but I'll have to cancel insurance before I'm eligible to use it.

Do you think there's a possibility they may refuse to scrap my application for the purpose of shortages on students? As silly as it may sound aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's a possibility they could refuse to release you to clearing - or just not prioritise it and take 2+ weeks to get it sorted (so after the bulk of clearing places are gone). Even universities that prioritise it take on average 48 hours to sort it out - that's 2 days into clearing before you can officially contact any other universities.

If you know NOW that you would rather go into Clearing than go to your insurance then do EVERYONE a favour and ring them NOW to tell them that. Ask if they need confirmation in writing.

It is MUCH better to go into results day with no insurance than with one you don't want to go to...sorting this stuff out on results day (when you should be on the phone to clearing universities) is deliberately adding extra stress to an already stressful situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    They can't force you to attend - but they're under no obligation to put extra effort in to make life easy for an applicant that doesn't want to attend. They can hold your application and prevent you entering Clearing in this application cycle and force a gap year. Or just take their time so that by the time they get round to putting you into clearing the vast majority of places are gone - even a days delay can make a big difference about what's on offer (often universities offering accommodation to clearing applicants will give out most hall places in day 1).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    They can't force you to attend - but they're under no obligation to put extra effort in to make life easy for an applicant that doesn't want to attend. They can hold your application and prevent you entering Clearing in this application cycle and force a gap year. Or just take their time so that by the time they get round to putting you into clearing the vast majority of places are gone - even a days delay can make a big difference about what's on offer (often universities offering accommodation to clearing applicants will give out most hall places in day 1).
    So unis can be as spiteful as they like? That seems very unplesent and surely can't help their reputation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    So unis can be as spiteful as they like? That seems very unplesent and surely can't help their reputation?
    It's no more spiteful than accepting an offer as insurance with no intention to take up a place. Especially if you don't inform a university until after results that you won't be going. At that point they've already rejected some firm students (because they're obligated to take you) and might not have placed the course into clearing to fill your place up with other applicants.

Don't forget your insurance universities get your results too. And can see both your firm offer conditions and whether your firm have rejected you as soon as the decision goes to UCAS. They might have technically been your firm choice from the Monday before results and made decisions on other applicants with your place already taken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It's no more spiteful than accepting an offer as insurance with no intention to take up a place. Especially if you don't inform a university until after results that you won't be going. At that point they've already rejected some firm students (because they're obligated to take you) and might not have placed the course into clearing to fill your place up with other applicants.

Don't forget your insurance universities get your results too. And can see both your firm offer conditions and whether your firm have rejected you as soon as the decision goes to UCAS. They might have technically been your firm choice from the Monday before results and made decisions on other applicants with your place already taken.
    I get what you are saying, although most people would accept it and change their mind later I suppose...

So if you decide to reject your insurance you should do it before results? Not that I plan on doing that either!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I get what you are saying, although most people would accept it and change their mind later I suppose...

So if you decide to reject your insurance you should do it before results? Not that I plan on doing that either!!!
    The sooner the better.

The earlier you let universities know if you've changed your mind then the more time they have to sort things out for you. On results day someone who has changed their mind is bottom of a very long priority list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    The sooner the better.

The earlier you let universities know if you've changed your mind then the more time they have to sort things out for you. On results day someone who has changed their mind is bottom of a very long priority list.
    Hey! Apologies for intruding on your conversation however, I have a question. If I get rejected by newcastle for medicine, is it possible to get into St. George's through clearing? (As they have medicine in clearing) OR are you only allowed to try and enter 1 medical school per annual intake? For example, if I get A*AB (Chem, geography and biology) and Newcastle reject me, is there a possibility St. George's can still accept me? Is it purely the universities choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sacred Ground)
    Hey! Apologies for intruding on your conversation however, I have a question. If I get rejected by newcastle for medicine, is it possible to get into St. George's through clearing? (As they have medicine in clearing) OR are you only allowed to try and enter 1 medical school per annual intake? For example, if I get A*AB (Chem, geography and biology) and Newcastle reject me, is there a possibility St. George's can still accept me? Is it purely the universities choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    since when was medicine in clearing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maggie43)
    since when was medicine in clearing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Since PQ informed me that medicine applications dropped 15% this year and St. George's is in clearing haha

ReputationRep:
    Since PQ informed me that medicine applications dropped 15% this year and St. George's is in clearing haha
    I'm guessing the whole pay and contract issue has started to make people think twice about medicine careers

ReputationRep:
    Medicine I'm clearing?! Next it will be Oxbridge!!!

ReputationRep:
    imppoosssiibruuuiu!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I noticed when looking through clearing that York was in clearing for History but when I looked on their website it wasnt on their clearing list. Do you think its likely it was just put in clearing by accident?

You sure it's St George's in Tooting and not the St George's in the Carribean? Because the latter is usually in Clearing (I've not looked at the lists however so done know).*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    You sure it's St George's in Tooting and not the St George's in the Carribean? Because the latter is usually in Clearing (I've not looked at the lists however so done know).*
    I'm not sure mate, I just seen PQ say that medicine was in clearing at St. George's

I'm not sure mate, I just seen PQ say that medicine was in clearing at St. George's
    fair enough but I'll keep my fingers crossed that you don't need it either way

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.