Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erinni)
    If I got the data wrong from questions but the idea was right, can I get some marks?
    very anxious...
    I did the same.

ReputationRep:
    Can Cambridge see your MAT scores?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SM-)
    Can Cambridge see your MAT scores?
    No

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    hi guys i was just wondering i'm a gap year student and will start uni in 2018. I did the MAT and graduated from Sixth Form with 4 A*s and a grade 1 in STEP 1. However I don't think i did great in the MAT, probably 55-65 range. Will i still be considered a strong applicant for Oxford/Imperial considering my results and given circumstances? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pressurize)
    What does it mean if you are at the shortlisted average in terms of your overall chance of getting an offer? How about if you're at the average of successful? Above the average? I'm struggling to see what these mean since there are many people above and below these averages who are getting offers. Could anyone give some in depth explanations?
    If you really want to estimate this kind of thing, I think your best bet is to have a look at the graph at the end of https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/fi...ack%202015.pdf

For example, in 2015 the average score for getting an interview was 56. By eyeballing the 55-59 column, it looks like such a candidate had about a 1 in 3 change of getting an offer (given that they got an interview).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    No

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    Are you sure? Isn't there any way of sending them the score?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guessing a few people here did the senior maths challenge today. How was it? I thought it was a lot easier than normal. If I qualify for the BMO, can I send an email to the Oxford college I applied to, telling them that I qualified? Or even if I qualify for the Kangaroo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathematician99)
    Guessing a few people here did the senior maths challenge today. How was it? I thought it was a lot easier than normal. If I qualify for the BMO, can I send an email to the Oxford college I applied to, telling them that I qualified? Or even if I qualify for the Kangaroo?
    I sat it as well today - I didn't know we were sitting it until yesterday! I think it went relatively well - depending on the boundaries I think I'm either on the cusp of a Gold/Kangaroo or a very high Silver. I tend to like the number theory and logic stuff, but I'm not too keen on geometry, and UKMT stuff tends to have a lot of it (but one of the perks of applying for Maths/CompSci is you don't do a geometry question in the MAT - instead I did a question where the only mathematical knowledge I needed was knowing whethe something was odd or even). There was this one question that was easy, yet I missed something really obvious (not going to talk about it yet - I believe it's still under embargo), but aside from that I feel it went well.

In terms of telling them, I don't think you can, as AFAIK they don't accept supplementary info like that, but you could maybe tell them if you get an interview or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewman99)
    I think it went relatively well - depending on the boundaries I think I'm either on the cusp of a Gold/Kangaroo or a very high Silver. I tend to like the number theory and logic stuff, but I'm not too keen on geometry, and UKMT stuff tends to have a lot of it (but one of the perks of applying for Maths/CompSci is you don't do a geometry question in the MAT - instead I did a question where the only mathematical knowledge I needed was knowing whethe something was odd or even). There was this one question that was easy, yet I missed something really obvious (not going to talk about it yet - I believe it's still under embargo), but aside from that I feel it went well.
    Wow. We are in almost exactly the same situation. I am also a Maths+CompSci applicant, who was very grateful to avoid question 4; I enjoy the number theory and logic most out of UKMT questions; and I think I got maybe a gold/kangaroo in the SMC today.

By the way, I believe we can talk about the maths challenge - in fact, there are several pages of discussion at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4393828, with several people listing their answers. I'm pretty sure the UKMT is only sat in the UK, so no time zone issues, and certainly no school will be making pupils sit it at 9pm.

I put down on my personal statement that I got a silver in 2015, although I was fairly disappointed I didn't get a gold that year. I'm hoping I qualify for the Kangaroo this year and I was also thinking about trying to show off to Oxford about that. But I'm afraid I don't think they would accept any info, now your personal statement has been finalised, and interviews aren't really a chance to talk about yourself, more about thinking about maths problems they give you. It's unfortunate the SMC wasn't a month earlier, but it's probably too late now.

ReputationRep:
    so if you were to not do too good at MAT is there still a chance to get an offer or interview?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone estimate what I would get for Q5 if I did all the way to the part where they asked for An expression for Tn. Did not have time to find Un or the subsequent part

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard from Oxford yet about interviews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bsimmons)
    A friend of mine has an interview for chemistry, but I think most maths applicants get a reply a week before interview.

ReputationRep:
    Question 7 part (iv)......... Why is it every second fibonacci number? If that isn't the solution what is? Maths guys don't be scared give it a shot XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bsimmons)
    A friend of mine has an interview for chemistry, but I think most maths applicants get a reply a week before interview.
    They'll start coming out around the 25th of November.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    They'll start coming out around the 25th of November.
    2 weeks... eeek!

ReputationRep:
    I was made an offer from Imperial before taking the MAT. Is this possible or is it a mistake?

ReputationRep:
    Any good books anyone would recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisforrest)
    Any good books anyone would recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In terms of just reading maths for interest?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 30, 2017

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.