Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If he has a clue, he will go abroad and have a half decent stint then come back to a lower prem side...
    No one will want to hire him so soon after the England fiasco!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarforaz)
    If he has a clue, he will go abroad and have a half decent stint then come back to a lower prem side...
    No one will want to hire him so soon after the England fiasco!
    It seems like he's having a bloody good time of things at present. Going to the US for some kind of coaching thingymajig, then going to South Africa for some other footballing thingymajig, then going around Europe, scouting talent...

All funded by the Football Association

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    McClaren interview in The Independent today.

He's aiming to bounce back. Bounce back from his disastrous reign as England manager and become a success, in his words, once again.

Where do you envisage this 'bouncing back' will take him? Lower depths of the Premiership in the future?
    I think we'll see him back at 'boro to be honest. They're probably the only team with in the Premier League who already have a manager as laughable as him. Why does Gibson keep churning out these idiots?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laevis)
    I think we'll see him back at 'boro to be honest. They're probably the only team with in the Premier League who already have a manager as laughable as him. Why does Gibson keep churning out these idiots?
    to be fair, he did reasonably well at Middlesborough. Anyway, i doubt Southgate will be sacked. I think Boro will stay up, Boro's chairman seems to be the type that sticks by and is loyal to the manager. Same cannot be said about Mr Mike Ashley of farcical Newcastle fame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    to be fair, he did reasonably well at Middlesborough. Anyway, i doubt Southgate will be sacked. I think Boro will stay up, Boro's chairman seems to be the type that sticks by and is loyal to the manager. Same cannot be said about Mr Mike Ashley of farcical Newcastle fame.
    Heh True. They're backing Southgate again this January with Boro said to make a £12m bid for Alofonso Alves. That isn't usually the case when a manager's departure is imminent. Boro do have more than enough quality to stay up.

I can't see many other Prem teams willing to take a chance with McClaren. Sven went to not exactly high flying (at the time) Man City after leaving England and there's two key differences between them even: 1- Sven actually got us qualified 2- Sven was a world class manager before England.

If we're going to use that to give us some sort of perspective, then i'd say McClaren will either be after a club struggling to stay up or a leading Championship side. I suppose Sven's move did have a lot to do with Thaksin and $$$, though.

ReputationRep:
    England start their World Cup 2010 qualifiers with trips to Andorra away and then Croatia away 4 days later

Andorra v England - September 6th
    Croatia v England - September 10th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamlan)
    At no point has "Is there daylight?" been a part of the offside rule, except in the imaginations of most crap commentators/analysts
    Indeed. It's just any part of the body from the oppisition that can score from when the player is ahead of the defence when the ball is played. Hope that explains what I mean. Found out what I was on about days age jamlan. It's just some assistants have waited for the player to touch the ball and raise their flag, especially if another team mate is nearby who was not in an offside decision, and others go straight away.

ReputationRep:
    i think we will beat andorra and then draw against croatia

ReputationRep:
    if capello plays the same formation as he did with real madrid, i think it would suit england down to a T.

green

richards ferdinand terry(c) a.cole

hargreaves gerrard

bentley rooney j.cole

a.s.h.t.o.n

ReputationRep:
    Ashton? No thanks. From that formation, this would be my preferred lineup:

James
    richards ferdinand(c) terry a.cole
    Hargreaves Barry
    bentley/Beckham Gerrard j.cole
    Rooney

But seems too defensive to me. Joe Cole would cut in so crosses would only come from the right the majority of the time.

ReputationRep:
    Why not give Barry a chance down the left? He might be good!

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps Capello can try SWP in central midfield as he plays in Chelsea lately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Perhaps Capello can try SWP in central midfield as he plays in Chelsea lately.
    What's the idea behind SWP in central midfield? It sounds like the more absurd tactical suggestion i have ever heard.

ReputationRep:
    What's the idea behind SWP in central midfield? It sounds like the more absurd tactical suggestion i have ever heard.
    The idea is to change defence to attack as quick as possible. Essien did this to an extent but has been absent many occasions for various reasons. Don't see the point of SWP trying to cross because they're usually poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    The idea is to change defence to attack as quick as possible. Essien did this to an extent but has been absent many occasions for various reasons. Don't see the point of SWP trying to cross because they're usually poor.
    Okay, the idea is good, but SWP is far from the ideal candidate for that job. Yep, Essien is the ideal one. If you put SWP in midfield, you're going to compromise that solid, hard to break down, Chelsea CM. SWP is not very good at tackling, offers nothing in the air, not the best at ball retention. I just can't see it working tbh. I assume it's only being used at Chelsea till Mikel and Essien get back?

Again, the idea is good. But i think any half decent team can nullify this threat by watching SWP closely, regardless of his pace.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, the idea is good, but SWP is far from the ideal candidate for that job. Yep, Essien is the ideal one. If you put SWP in midfield, you're going to compromise that solid, hard to break down, Chelsea CM. SWP is not very good at tackling, offers nothing in the air, not the best at ball retention. I just can't see it working tbh. I assume it's only being used at Chelsea till Mikel and Essien get back?

Again, the idea is good. But i think any half decent team can nullify this threat by watching SWP closely, regardless of his pace.
    These players you mention are not available for the England squad

I am unconvinced that Capello will include Richards at right back. He's too attacking minded, and for anyone who saw Liverpool vs Man City that saw how he handled Torres (i.e. by hacking him to bits constantly) you have to think that this is what he'd do at an international level also against the likes of Eduardo when we play Croatia.

1) He's too liable to give away a penalty/free kick because of the difference in refs attitudes at international level
    2) He's too liable to float out of his position to go forward. Not saying this is bad, but Capello is unlikely to approve.

See what the line up is next month I guess :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)
    These players you mention are not available for the England squad
    Is that a joke? :confused:

Me and NDGAARONDI were clearly talking about Chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    Is that a joke? :confused:

Me and NDGAARONDI were clearly talking about Chelsea.
    Yes I was aware of that :p: It was indeed a slight joke, nevermind :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I knew this would happen. I think it should be tried in a friendly, albeit for 30 minutes or when we're winning or something. There's no harm in looking at what players do at their respective clubs and try and replicate that for England. Sometimes it's different - Joe Cole on one wing for club, the other for country etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm for a full XI of Croucheys.

Would be awesome. Imagine if we scored, man... and he pulls out that robot... jeez, somebody'd be gettin' laid.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.