Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know about not reinventing the wheel, but I just feel as though its cheating to use prior resources! I hear so much about how you should experiment in your training year because you'll never have the time again (which sounds very ironic to me!)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the replies everyone, it has been great to hear your thoughts and advice. I will definately try and emphasize to them next week that there will be a 'theme' to my learning each week.

Just to stress, I do totally agree with all the things my teachers are telling me I need to consider and improve on, it was the fact that Teacher C, seems to be annoyed that I am not implementing these things immediately, and it sometimes seems to me that she thinks I have forgotten or not taken on board her comments.

Oh and to starbabycat I am doing secondary Modern Languages.

ReputationRep:
    I think the theme to focus on is a great idea. Otherwise its just so much to take in! There's so much to think about in lessons its just mind-boggling!

ReputationRep:
    Teaching my first lesson this week! Petrified isn't the word but its with a really nice year 7, shame I have a topic that I have no idea on! Scared I've under pitched it but I have no idea what they can and can't do. Luckily it's a class that after this week I'll be teaching until march so I have time to modify quickly if its too easy! Seems a little late for me to start compared to everyone else but it's only the 6th time I've been to school.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Keep going people!! Everyone keeps telling me that the run up to Christmas is the hardest bit and if we can get past it we're good, I hope they're right!!

Had my first week of teaching last week, some bits went better than others (glitter and fluroscent paint do not a stress free teacher make). My ULT came and observed my maths lesson and she was happy with it so I guess that's good.

Next week I'm doing a two hour literacy lesson on a Guy Fawkes recount, making peppermint creams with 5 classes (I've already made 4 batches to try and get it right as we only have 15 minutes to make them in so I'm sick of them already). I'm also teaching a science class. We're doing a dancing raisins experiment - where you put raisins in a glass and watch them go up and down. It's with year 2s and I'm struggling to see how I can make it last an hour and a half. Any ideas would be much appreciated!!

Anyway, hope everyone is doing ok and smartarse1983, Teacher C sounds a little unreasonable, just focus on one or two things at a time, and when you've got those down, move on to the next ones. Trying to become perfect straight away is nigh on impossible and way too stressful!! My mentor's given me a focus for each observation which helps me know what she is looking for. Monday's is behaviour management which I'm a bit worried about because I've got a class full of rather large personalities but fingers crossed I can do my teacher death stare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smartarse1983)
    Thank you for the replies everyone, it has been great to hear your thoughts and advice. I will definately try and emphasize to them next week that there will be a 'theme' to my learning each week.

Just to stress, I do totally agree with all the things my teachers are telling me I need to consider and improve on, it was the fact that Teacher C, seems to be annoyed that I am not implementing these things immediately, and it sometimes seems to me that she thinks I have forgotten or not taken on board her comments.

Oh and to starbabycat I am doing secondary Modern Languages.
    This makes me wonder if you're in my old department, it seems so similar to my experience :p:

ReputationRep:
    Taught my first full day of topic last week, and have planned the next 2 weeks of literacy...hope they go well! I'm really, really enjoying it at the moment. Working very hard but I enjoy hard work so that doesn't bother me. I'm beginning to think that just maybe I can cope with this...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Sarang_assa)
    Keep going people!! Everyone keeps telling me that the run up to Christmas is the hardest bit and if we can get past it we're good, I hope they're right!!

Had my first week of teaching last week, some bits went better than others (glitter and fluroscent paint do not a stress free teacher make). My ULT came and observed my maths lesson and she was happy with it so I guess that's good.

Next week I'm doing a two hour literacy lesson on a Guy Fawkes recount, making peppermint creams with 5 classes (I've already made 4 batches to try and get it right as we only have 15 minutes to make them in so I'm sick of them already). I'm also teaching a science class. We're doing a dancing raisins experiment - where you put raisins in a glass and watch them go up and down. It's with year 2s and I'm struggling to see how I can make it last an hour and a half. Any ideas would be much appreciated!!

Anyway, hope everyone is doing ok and smartarse1983, Teacher C sounds a little unreasonable, just focus on one or two things at a time, and when you've got those down, move on to the next ones. Trying to become perfect straight away is nigh on impossible and way too stressful!! My mentor's given me a focus for each observation which helps me know what she is looking for. Monday's is behaviour management which I'm a bit worried about because I've got a class full of rather large personalities but fingers crossed I can do my teacher death stare.
    Assuming you're doing a proper write up of the experiment, you would be surprised how long that would take Year 2s

ReputationRep:
    I´m really struggling at the moment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    November is the worst month. It's definitely a pit of despair on the graph of ITT year enjoyment! Stick it out, everything goes much faster after Christmas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    What's happening? As Becca said November is the worst month.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/i

ReputationRep:
    The pit of despair has definitely arrived here...

I have 10 hours per week on my timetable, and had agreed with my co-tutor that after my observation week, I'd go straight in and teach. But planning has just been taking me forever. I thought I could do a couple of lessons the same, because I have 2 similar year 10 classes, but after teaching one and evaluating the lesson I end up completely changing the lesson for the other class based on my reflections and feedback.

So whilst on Sunday night I was confident that I'd planned most of the week, I spent Tuesday night replanning for Wednesday, and Wednesday night replanning for Thursday. I ended up pulling out of a Y13 lesson I should have been teaching today (their usual teacher will take the lesson instead) to focus on planning my other 2 lessons for today.

So glad it's nearly the weekend! And I've spoken to some teachers and agreed to cut back a bit next week by team-teaching some lessons.

ReputationRep:
    Well I've been told by one teacher that its good I'm asserting my authority more and another not to do it so much! My mentor keeps reassuring me a lot of it will come with experience so I'm not too worried and to be honest the slightly authoritarian route seems to be paying off as I had a lovely class yesterday where I didn't need to get angry...Just s confusing being told to do a million different things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodles!)
    What's happening? As Becca said November is the worst month.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/i
    I'm not actually doing the real PGCE, I'm teaching English. The practical aspect is similar though. I get little support or training from school- granted its only a small academy with 3 full time teachers including me. My kids, especially p5 and year 7 seem to walk all over me. My classroom management is rubbish. If I shout too much I loose my voice. I've also had 2 complaints from parents about the way I teach, yet they haven't been in my classes.

ReputationRep:
    Skills tests done now time to start actually teaching. I taught my first lesson this week and got formally observed on it! Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Start my 12 weeks placement as of Wednesday, no more university sessions which is scary!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone! By reading this thread I am reassured that a lot of people are in the same situation as me. My university tutors are telling me the opposite of the school, in every single aspect (including class management). I am following more the university guidance and it's sort of working with class management tips (with year 8 better than year 9). I was given both bottom sets and I am teaching languages. I am very confused by the different guidance from subject mentor and university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxie)
    Hello everyone! By reading this thread I am reassured that a lot of people are in the same situation as me. My university tutors are telling me the opposite of the school, in every single aspect (including class management). I am following the more the university guidance and it's sort of working with class management tips (with year 8 better than year 9). I was given both bottom sets and I am teaching languages. I am very confused by the different guidance from subject mentor and university.
    What are the two different things you are being told?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    What are the two different things you are being told?
    About class management, lecturer saying I should only tactically ignore if minor and to build a good class environment might take 3 weeks and I need to reinforce the rules. The sm is saying I should carry on with the objectives...! I should keep delivering the lesson even if noisy. I think the lecturer is right, but I am being pressured by delivering what I have planned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxie)
    About class management, lecturer saying I should only tactically ignore if minor and to build a good class environment might take 3 weeks and I need to reinforce the rules. The sm is saying I should carry on with the objectives...! I should l keep delivering the lesson even if noisy. I think the lecturer is right, but I am being pressured by delivering what I have planned.
    I'd largely agree with the lecturer too.

You can choose to ignore little annoying things (someone sitting with their head on the table, or uniform issues) when confronting them would just waste time and stop you teaching. But you cannot teach if everyone is talking, and there's no point trying as you'll just have to go over it again next lesson when you realise they didn't take anything in because they weren't paying attention.

I'm having difficulties delivering everything I have planned too, especially wiith quite chatty classes at it takes time to get them settled and then I can't fit in the whole lesson. I have a couple of high ability Y10 classes who are bright but noisy, and I'm struggling to fit in everything I'm supposed to teach them.

I've been recommended to find/make more reading and listening exercises which they can pick out and understand the language from, to avoid me having to spend so much of the lesson doing all the work. And that way, if there are issues with behaviour I'm free to go round and deal with individuals rather than being stuck at the front of the class.

I'm in a lovely school and behaviour isn't a big issue, but I'm just really struggling with planning lessons and then delivering everything that's in my plan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)
    I'd largely agree with the lecturer too.

You can choose to ignore little annoying things (someone sitting with their head on the table, or uniform issues) when confronting them would just waste time and stop you teaching. But you cannot teach if everyone is talking, and there's no point trying as you'll just have to go over it again next lesson when you realise they didn't take anything in because they weren't paying attention.

I'm having difficulties delivering everything I have planned too, especially wiith quite chatty classes at it takes time to get them settled and then I can't fit in the whole lesson. I have a couple of high ability Y10 classes who are bright but noisy, and I'm struggling to fit in everything I'm supposed to teach them.

I've been recommended to find/make more reading and listening exercises which they can pick out and understand the language from, to avoid me having to spend so much of the lesson doing all the work. And that way, if there are issues with behaviour I'm free to go round and deal with individuals rather than being stuck at the front of the class.

I'm in a lovely school and behaviour isn't a big issue, but I'm just really struggling with planning lessons and then delivering everything that's in my plan.
    Thanks Myrthylle, it's the usual debate about class management and still being able to deliver the lesson! I think it's ridiculous wanting the perfect lesson if I don't get them silent first.
    It's a difficult class, especially the year 9 and they seem even worst with their own teacher.....

Anyway I have emailed my tutor for some advice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.