Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NFL talk? Questions about American football? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgegabriel)
    The Bucs played at Wembley in 2009 and they are returning this year, if the NFL season goes ahead.
    Just saw you play for Cambridge. Were you at the Caesars game a couple of weeks back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    Just saw you play for Cambridge. Were you at the Caesars game a couple of weeks back?
    I wasn't bro I play youth/junior whatever it's called nowadays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgeman49)
    The GB Lions is a very poorly-run team right now, they were much better in the past. A combination of lack of talent, poor organisation and other European squads being better than us leads to us not qualifying.

Japan are good as they are obsessed with American sports culture, they are also very good at baseball. Japan is also a very popular emigration destination for Americans, no doubt some decent coaches will be amongst those who arrived. The Japanese on the whole are not a big race but they sure as hell have enough big people to put on a football field.

Also I don't understand all of this "rugby heritage" stuff, rugby has sweet F.A. to do with American football. Before somebody says it's high contact, yes it is but if you tackle like you should in rugby whilst playing AF then you are tackling very poorly indeed. AF is a game of inches and if you just hang onto a guy's legs until he falls over like you do in rugby then you may have just lost your team a crucial three yards. If your man doesn't go backwards when you hit him then you're doing it wrong. The exception to this rule is if you are the last man between the ball carrier and a TD, if this is the case then just get him down however you can!

All other aspects of rugby are nigh on irrelevant, other than kicking and generic tackler evasion for those unlike me who are inclined to touch the ball.
    There is some overlap between American Football and Rugby after all am I not right in saying that American Footy has it's origins in Rugby (Union)?

By heritage I meant that British sporting culture has experience of contact sports and in a similar vein to the Americans, Canadians and Aussies, it shouldn't appear to be so difficult to put together a strong enough squad to qualify for the world championships. The French are regulars in this and perhaps owing to their interest in Rugby and also maybe in no small part due to the fact the IFAF is based in Paris so has an opportunity to develop the sport there.

It's goign to sound pedantic but every year I get irked when the Superbowl winners declare themselves "the world champions" when in reality they're only the best team in the US. Ok given that there isn't much competition outside the US/Canada and I am aware the superbowl was originally referred to as the "NFL and AFL World Championship game" as in those days teams from both sides didn't routinely play each other.

But yeah I'm a traditionalist and in that sense you have to beat the rest of the world irrespective of how good or bad they are before you can declare yourself the World Champions or the best team on the planet etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warrior King)
    There is some overlap between American Football and Rugby after all am I not right in saying that American Footy has it's origins in Rugby (Union)?

By heritage I meant that British sporting culture has experience of contact sports and in a similar vein to the Americans, Canadians and Aussies, it shouldn't appear to be so difficult to put together a strong enough squad to qualify for the world championships. The French are regulars in this and perhaps owing to their interest in Rugby and also maybe in no small part due to the fact the IFAF is based in Paris so has an opportunity to develop the sport there.

It's goign to sound pedantic but every year I get irked when the Superbowl winners declare themselves "the world champions" when in reality they're only the best team in the US. Ok given that there isn't much competition outside the US/Canada and I am aware the superbowl was originally referred to as the "NFL and AFL World Championship game" as in those days teams from both sides didn't routinely play each other.

But yeah I'm a traditionalist and in that sense you have to beat the rest of the world irrespective of how good or bad they are before you can declare yourself the World Champions or the best team on the planet etc.
    Well I guess the main argument against that is that the 32 teams that make up the NFL are unquestionably the best 32 teams in the world; in the same way that if you win the FIFA world cup, you are better than the 31 other countries in the tournament. Whilst you haven't beaten every country/team in the world, you have beaten the best the world has to offer. I realise there's not much competition from other countries but could that be because simply the level of talent in America is so good?

If a team from outside the USA was good enough to play in the NFL, they could do, much like the NBA, the NHL, MLB and MLS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    I've not been out of the country so not been to see them. :p:

If they come to Wembley any time soon I may venture though. I was hoping to join our Uni's American Football team next year, but breaking my ankle and leg over Easter has put paid to that. :sad:
    They're at wembley this season! They're playing the bears...

Ofc with the lockout, things are uneasy atm, but I doubt we will lose 7 games tbh..

ReputationRep:
    Btw, just posting this video for the pure lol value...

This years superbowl. For anyone who missed it, here's Rashard Mendenhall absolutely killing an NFL films cameraman...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Patriot)
    Btw, just posting this video for the pure lol value...

This years superbowl. For anyone who missed it, here's Rashard Mendenhall absolutely killing an NFL films cameraman...

Mendenhall destroyed our defence that night Every run seemed to go for 10+ yards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott129)
    Mendenhall destroyed our defence that night Every run seemed to go for 10+ yards.
    I know. The Steelers offense was on fire.

It's a testament to the Green Bay defense that they didn't score 30 plus though, seeing as the steelers were playing so well...

ReputationRep:

It's a testament to the Green Bay defense that they didn't score 30 plus though, seeing as the steelers were playing so well...
    All credit goes to Matthews tbf. That forced fumble won the game for us I reckon. They had the momentum and that killed it. Plus it got us 7 more points which basically put the game out of reach for them.

ReputationRep:
    The D didn't do much wrong on that play, Mendenhall got a lucky cut and a good block by the RT on Clay.

I'm afraid I am a Mendenhall hater, the guy is a total idiot off the field and a very average player on it. Oh and he's a Steeler. :P

ReputationRep:

Big Ben was bad that game though, I thought he was mr.clutch and would stamp his ticket to the hall of fame with another ring but he was a total let down pretty much, rumours he got concussed by BJ Raji early doors but dunno if they have any substance and they are quiet rumours because they undermine the leagues new concussion policy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott129)
    All credit goes to Matthews tbf. That forced fumble won the game for us I reckon. They had the momentum and that killed it. Plus it got us 7 more points which basically put the game out of reach for them.
    Exactly what I said to my mate. Agree totally. Steelers had momentum, and quality veterans on their offense (ward, roethlisberger, holmes, miller, mendenhall) who would have made it happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Big Ben was bad that game though, I thought he was mr.clutch and would stamp his ticket to the hall of fame with another ring but he was a total let down pretty much, rumours he got concussed by BJ Raji early doors but dunno if they have any substance and they are quiet rumours because they undermine the leagues new concussion policy
    Disagree. Big Ben played well.

25/40 passes.
    263 yards.
    2 TDs
    2 INTs. (one of which should have been caught over the middle)

all that against an incredible green bay defense!

not to mention his prior injuries (concussion rumours, ankle sprain before the game and again in the game).

and straight after that ankle sprain, he ran about 15 yards for a first down!

plus, the touchdown passes were clutch, and brilliantly done!

his passer rating 77 (murdered by the interceptions) wasn't a fair reflection of his play tbh. He faired admirably with some very important plays against an incredible defense.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, immediately after the game, I thought Big Ben had a pretty shocking game. But then I looked at the stats after and that proved me wrong. Obviously the interceptions will stick in the mind for a while. And on the last play, I think it was Miller that was open down the sideline and that would have got the 1st down - completely missed him.

Just found this out - James Starks had a better per-carry average than Mendenhall in the SB. Mendenhall 14 for 62 compared to Starks with 11 for 52. Pretty damn good for a rookie against the Steel Curtain.

ReputationRep:

25/40 passes.
    263 yards.
    2 TDs

not to mention his prior injuries (concussion rumours, ankle sprain before the game and again in the game).

his passer rating 77 (murdered by the interceptions) wasn't a fair reflection of his play tbh. He faired admirably with some very important plays against an incredible defense.
    The stats looked decent but I'm not convinced-my impression coming away from the game was that Big Ben had missed the clutch passes late on when it really counted and that the two INTs where killers. (One, admittedly, wasn't his fault but the other was a damn bad throw)

IIRC he missed 2 straight when the Steelers where driving at the end.

ReputationRep:
    Thought I'd just post this-probably not something for everyone but still one of my favourate videos on youtube (even if bits of it make me cringe)...

ReputationRep:
    If I remember correctly (it's been 5 months since the game), Ben didn't play well at first, getting an interception, but he got his **** together and made that game a real thriller.

ReputationRep:

25/40 passes.
    263 yards.
    2 TDs

My main memory of him that game was him underthrowing into double coverage and getting intercepted for a pick 6 but I just looked again and he got hit as he threw, and as you say those stats aren't indicative of a poor game by any means, strange how I just remembered him as being poor for seemingly no reason its not like I hate him or anything either, must be because they lost

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    My main memory of him that game was him underthrowing into double coverage and getting intercepted for a pick 6 but I just looked again and he got hit as he threw, and as you say those stats aren't indicative of a poor game by any means, strange how I just remembered him as being poor for seemingly no reason its not like I hate him or anything either, must be because they lost
    People either remember brilliant plays or mistakes. Big Ben made a few mistakes on the night and unfortunately, because of that, that's what people will remember, not his stats. Rodgers on the other hand, threw 3 TD's, converted at crucial times and arguably should have had a much higher completion % (I'm looking at you Jones and Nelson :mad:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RabbitCFH)
    If I remember correctly (it's been 5 months since the game), Ben didn't play well at first, getting an interception, but he got his **** together and made that game a real thriller.
    Nothing to do with football but I can I register my love for your signiture...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.