The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

R00NEY
I am kind of settled on reading economics/law, and I'm interested in the financial side of things,so I'm unsure about the hybrid/specialized route. I can't see myself working in a lab as a Chemical Engineer nor do i have aspirations in the medical field.

The hybrid combination i meant was History Econs Physics and Maths, not HELM haha. If i'm not wrong, I'm currently nominated for the moe humanities scholarship, so I think i'll go for HELM. What i dislike about the hybrid combination is the prospect of having a screwed up timetable.

ah i see. Physics, econs, history, math. Well you would be replacing lit with physics, which will, i assure you, be a lot more work. Lol. But beyond that, yes I can imagine why that combination might be weird-- you will be in neither a very strong arts class or a strong science class...sort of just floundering in between classes (because it is unlikely there will be a whole class of students with that combi.

Anyway good luck with your humans scholarship! May I ask whether you are in HCI/ RI?
Reply 1681
chronicles
ah i see. Physics, econs, history, math. Well you would be replacing lit with physics, which will, i assure you, be a lot more work. Lol. But beyond that, yes I can imagine why that combination might be weird-- you will be in neither a very strong arts class or a strong science class...sort of just floundering in between classes (because it is unlikely there will be a whole class of students with that combi.

Anyway good luck with your humans scholarship! May I ask whether you are in HCI/ RI?

why leh??
yonanz
why leh??

oh my sorry. I meant replacing physics with lit is a lot more work!! My bad.

The latter bolded bit: in many JCs, the top arts students are pulled into a humanities class. As for the science students, they tend to be ranked in some JCs.
Reply 1683
Hey wait i'm confused, did you edit your post, or all along you meant that physics is a lot less work compared to lit?
anyone else got the manchester university briefing thing on 11th november?
R00NEY
Hey wait i'm confused, did you edit your post, or all along you meant that physics is a lot less work compared to lit?

oh dear me. so sorry. I'm losing my marbles.. I'll state it clearly: Literature, is a lot less work than Physics. Partially because people need a 'flare' for literature (although it is possible to do well without this flare and a little extra work). Nonetheless, it is not a heavy-memorizing or heavy-concepts based subject, so you can imagine it is highly enjoyable (if you like that sort of thing) and some people get by on no work, and others a little more but still far less than chem/ history/ bio /econs etc

But like I said, beware of thinking it's an easy subject/ free-ticket to relaxation during A levels or anything. It can be unpredictable in the sense that studying all day and night can't quite assure you of your desired grade.
Isaacchan
Who else applying for medicine 2011?

Hey man I applied for Med 2011, am serving in the army now :biggrin:
kaiping_lin
Hey man I applied for Med 2011, am serving in the army now :biggrin:

same here dude, 2011 too... which unis u applied to?
Reply 1688
chronicles
oh dear me. so sorry. I'm losing my marbles.. I'll state it clearly: Literature, is a lot less work than Physics. Partially because people need a 'flare' for literature (although it is possible to do well without this flare and a little extra work). Nonetheless, it is not a heavy-memorizing or heavy-concepts based subject, so you can imagine it is highly enjoyable (if you like that sort of thing) and some people get by on no work, and others a little more but still far less than chem/ history/ bio /econs etc

But like I said, beware of thinking it's an easy subject/ free-ticket to relaxation during A levels or anything. It can be unpredictable in the sense that studying all day and night can't quite assure you of your desired grade.

did u take lit during a levels?
yonanz
did u take lit during a levels?

yeaps, I did! enjoyed it
Reply 1690
chronicles
yeaps, I did! enjoyed it

icic.so u did both physics and lit?
gi.
oxbridge may not be the best places for med, but surely its better than NUS?

i think NUS med's reputation and recognition is overhyped because well, it IS the only med school in Singapore, thus the best grades from singapore JC cohort will make it in and make it look good.

There are 2 medicine schools in NUS : Yong Loo Lin and Duke NUS. Both are good. One is based on the British model of medical education, and second is from US Duke University School of Medicine.

If you have a plan to work in Singapore or Asian countries ( Japan is not included ) after graduation, then NUS Schools of Medicine are good for you.

If you want to study medicine oversea then there are many choices of better medical education than Oxbridge.
Reply 1692
dorianhwang
There are 2 medicine schools in NUS : Yong Loo Lin and Duke NUS. Both are good. One is based on the British model of medical education, and second is from US Duke University School of Medicine.

If you have a plan to work in Singapore or Asian countries ( Japan is not included ) after graduation, then NUS Schools of Medicine are good for you.

If you want to study medicine oversea then there are many choices of better medical education than Oxbridge.

isn't the latter a grad school? the Duke one. or am i mistaken?

and what i meant by two med schools.. in the traditional sense. like Imperial has a med school, Cambridge has a med school. not Imperial has a MBBS and a MBBS at Graduate entry.
Reply 1693
gi.
isn't the latter a grad school? the Duke one. or am i mistaken?

and what i meant by two med schools.. in the traditional sense. like Imperial has a med school, Cambridge has a med school. not Imperial has a MBBS and a MBBS at Graduate entry.

i get wat u mean..but technically speaking..duke and yll are separate schools independent of each other...so we cant speak of them as if they are 'one' under the banner of NUS

in any case. i really dont think an oxbridge med education is great. i think the local training is v good already, at a v competitive rate [less than 20k a year]. oxbridge med education plus living cost cost 500000 upwards...if u ask me..for that kind of money would i still go to oxbridge med..my ans is no. there are better ways to spend that money if i can get into local med school..like buying a cheap car heh
yonanz
i get wat u mean..but technically speaking..duke and yll are separate schools independent of each other...so we cant speak of them as if they are 'one' under the banner of NUS

in any case. i really dont think an oxbridge med education is great. i think the local training is v good already, at a v competitive rate [less than 20k a year]. oxbridge med education plus living cost cost 500000 upwards...if u ask me..for that kind of money would i still go to oxbridge med..my ans is no. there are better ways to spend that money if i can get into local med school..like buying a cheap car heh

cmi for local med must go uk mah... like me...
Reply 1695
yonanz

of course, valid point. Singapore universities fees are very 'worth it' if you factor in the fees. well fees being primary concern for most people actually, so it will no doubt come into play when choosing universities (local vs overseas).

but its harsh to call an oxbridge med education not great, since well, as the name says it all. its oxford and cambridge. all rounder universities. NUS cannot even touch them with a yardstick in any subject except med and law. true, no?

and, im not slamming NUS or any local universities for that matter.
Please note that any discussion on the BMAT is strictly forbidden until 24 hours after the end of the exam.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=195&a=421
Yeah I agree; NUS is very worth it for the fees and the amount of things they cram into you everyday hahaha... still if you're applying because you really want to get in, and you get the offer, go for it =) Apart from the prestige, Oxford has a really strong sense of culture! Hmmm what else can i say..
Reply 1698
Oracle_163
Yeah I agree; NUS is very worth it for the fees and the amount of things they cram into you everyday hahaha... still if you're applying because you really want to get in, and you get the offer, go for it =) Apart from the prestige, Oxford has a really strong sense of culture! Hmmm what else can i say..

nov 07. eh. thats the same batch as me. may i know who you are? hahah
gi.
nov 07. eh. thats the same batch as me. may i know who you are? hahah

are you kidding? hahhaa you know me already la

Quick Reply

Latest