Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Physics PHYA2 thread! 5th June 2013 watch

• View Poll Results: What mark do you think you got out of 70?
    0-20
    3.00%
    21-40
    6.00%
    41-50
    14.50%
    51-60
    39.50%
    61-70
    37.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _JasmineMistry)
    Aeronautical, but with my grades I'd probably go into Mechanical:P
    Oooh that just made me realise that I can change Engineering disciplines if my grades aren't good enough. Interesting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bookaky)
    Moments are lovely juicy questions I relish the opportunity and take it when a juicy 8 marker comes up on moments
    I know! Love them aha, I think doing M1 and M2 has helped with that though....

Hoping for at least 115 UMS, originally got 91

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryTinker)
    What did everyone get for the spring constant
    Was roughly 1100-1150.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyNameIsRay)
    What I did wrong:
    4c) - I counted the blocks under the graph, but I did 0.5 x Force x extension for the WD of each block. I should have just got the area, not halved it... Maybe 1 mark for counting the blocks under the graph at least. I hate myself for that mistake T_T

4d) - I thought it was it was asking to show the line as the material stretches and breaks, so that was totally off...

6a) - 2nd phase differance, I said 3/4 pi instead of 3/2 pi :l

Not sure?
    7b) - I did the red light with larger fringes than blue, but the same intensity. (is this correct?)

Just looked at the grade boundaries for an A for the last 9 PHYA2 exams, and it has never been higher than 50/70.

Was feeling quite bad about that exam but seeing the grade boundary I am feeling a bit more confident.

Next up phya4
    Size of the bright fringe STAYS THE SAME

however intensity decreases because it is further away from the central maxima I think!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NabRoh)
    See if we hadn't argued about it yesterday I may have forgotten the criteria to TIR.
    Thanks to you all I gained two marks. Cheers
    When I saw that question, I remembered our little argument haha! :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Always go with your gut instinct !
    Usually in exams when I have a debate by 2 answers, I leave my original answer on and then people tell me it was the other answer.

This time, my gut instinct was telling my that the original answer is the answer to double slit inference, and so I decided to change it. What I should of realised is that "describe the changes to the pattern" clearly means there is still a pattern.

Maybe if I get a nice examiner, he will give me a mark or two, as I didn't completely cross out my whole first answer, just did a small line across some of the text. Then again, he would have to be an extra nice examiner since the answer I put afterwards contradicts the original.
    I think I have a higher chance that the grade boundaries are low (like they tend to be), and I got most of everything else roughly correct than having a cool examiner though :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J Dilla)
    yes exactly!! there were two squares between 0.02 and 0.03 so each square represents an increase of 0.005
    Thanks. I made a stupid mistake there. I got 3J as my final answer. HAHA But, I would get 2/3 marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StalkeR47)
    Thanks. I made a stupid mistake there. I got 3J as my final answer. HAHA But, I would get 2/3 marks.
    yeah if your method is sound it will be fine

ReputationRep:
    For question 2 (or 3, can't remember) with the efficiency, if I did the right method but got part a) wrong, thus getting part b) and c) wrong, would I only lose marks for the first part?

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou you have proved to be most useful.

(Original post by NabRoh)
    The amount of raw marks needed for 120 UMS:
    62 Jan 13
    60 Jun
    58 Jan 12
    59 Jun
    62 Jan 11
    57 Jun
    60 Jan 10
    70 Jun
    61 Jan 09

If we count June 09 as anomalous, not been higher than 62 and as low as 57.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dorrez2k12)
    In the first half of the cycle, B moves up, and in the second half, participle B moves downwards.

Is this correct? Thanks in advance,
    That wouldn't be right. it moves up 1/4 of the cycle, then down 1/2, then up 1/4. Since it started at equilibrium position, right?

I wrote something like, B moves up until it reaches max (+) displacement then moves down until it reaches equilibrium position and continues down till it reaches max (-) displacement and then moves up again until it returns to equilibrium position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lebron_23)
    Yeah they had me stumped for ages. I started thinking resolving, but then I remembered it wasn't M1 :rolleyes:
    I resolved vertically and horizontally, then used Pythagoras to find the resultant force and got the right answer. What did you do?

ReputationRep:
    FML I soo failed that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    60 is a little generous for full ums

64 I think seems right for this sort of paper

This paper was slightly harder than June 2011/Jan 2012, and they were 59 and 60 marks for 120 UMS respectively. Paper 1 is usually 66-67/70 for 120 UMS, and paper two is considerably lower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonny7bell)
    I resolved vertically and horizontally, then used Pythagoras to find the resultant force and got the right answer. What did you do?
    More or less the same as you, but the resolving that i was thinking about was parallel/perpendicular to the plane. I soon realised that it was futile as no angles were given. In the end I just subtracted my forces, constructed a triangle of forces and the used to Pythagorus. I got 6082N I think, which rounds to 6100N.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy20002012)
    FML I soo failed that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Jimmy! How did you find it? I think it was more difficult paper than normal ones. Grade boundary I recon will be around 44-46 for an A. I think I got 57/70 in that one. Not happy with myself I made stupid mistakes and I needed full ums. But I think I got 65 in unit 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonny7bell)
    7200-1200=6000N

2500-1500=1000N (I think those were the two forces, answer was definitley 1000 though)

(6000^2+1000^2)^1/2=6083

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lebron_23)
    More or less the same as you, but the resolving that i was thinking about was parallel/perpendicular to the plane. I soon realised that it was futile as no angles were given. In the end I just subtracted my forces, constructed a triangle of forces and the used to Pythagorus. I got 6082N I think, which rounds to 6100N.
    Ah, ok. Did you get 9.2 degrees or something around that for the next part of the question?

ReputationRep:
    Unofficial mark scheme yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StalkeR47)
    Hi Jimmy! How did you find it? I think it was more difficult paper than normal ones. Grade boundary I recon will be around 44-46 for an A. I think I got 57/70 in that one. Not happy with myself I made stupid mistakes and I needed full ums. But I think I got 65 in unit 1.
    Found the waves bit easy, but then the mechanics was something else....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.