Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Football League thread II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TornadoGR4)
    It's a shame for him, but was there any point in getting rid of Sannino?
    Just don't think it can have done their players any good to have managers going in and out every month. Maybe do a proper medical on the next one.

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame for him, but was there any point in getting rid of Sannino?
    Watford fan here.

Sannino was supposedly bat**** crazy, although he actually resigned, but most of us believed it was similar to Zola's resigning in he jumped before he was pushed. Garcia came in, lost his first game aand disappeared for a while, came back to the training ground for a day supposedly then quit. If he has ill health, then that can't be helped. McInklay is a weird appointment, although most believe a British coach is normally helpful to getting out the league, as statistics have proven.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    They've replaced him with Billy McKinlay. He wouldn't be in charge come May, guarantee it.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...-away-end.html

What do we think about this? I think it's great to see an owner with passion for the club for once, however I can't help feeling that it may be a little forced. A stunt to get the fans on his side & backing him. And how helpful is that for the boss and players knowing that the owner of the club, nicknamed the 'coach killer' in Italy is watching them perform? He recently sacked a Leeds United consultant for moving the game with Reading back by 24 hours due to Reading's televised game with Wolves on Sunday.

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    They've replaced him with Billy McKinlay. He wouldn't be in charge come May, guarantee it.
    He was only employed by the club on Thursday, now he's the head. Supposedly Garcia recommended him in the case he couldn't come back. Whether he'll be here in May is a mystery, but I think having 4 head coaches in 2 seasons isn't as bad as it might look, considering the coaches we've had. Zola couldn' play the game his way any more as we were figured out by every other team, and he seemed to be a very one-style man. Sannino got results but was supposedly insane, I'm all for managers destroying player power but to have a player run over to you and call you expletives for a goal celebration shows you're doing something wrong. Garcia had health problems, not much could be done about that really.

What do we think about this? I think it's great to see an owner with passion for the club for once, however I can't help feeling that it may be a little forced. A stunt to get the fans on his side & backing him. And how helpful is that for the boss and players knowing that the owner of the club, nicknamed the 'coach killer' in Italy is watching them perform? He recently sacked a Leeds United consultant for moving the game with Reading back by 24 hours due to Reading's televised game with Wolves on Sunday.

Spoiler:
    Show

Fair play to the guy really, seems like he genuinely has the club's interests at heart. Bit confused as to what attracted him to Leeds in the first place though. Nothing against Leeds, just wondering why.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by CraigWM)
    Fair play to the guy really, seems like he genuinely has the club's interests at heart. Bit confused as to what attracted him to Leeds in the first place though. Nothing against Leeds, just wondering why.
    In fairness, they look a pretty decent investment if you can get them running properly - outside the prem, and at the time a bit of a mess so quite a bit cheaper than buying a Stoke or a West Ham, but everything except the playing side being set for premiership football, it looks quite appealing if you want to be the owner of a premiership club, but aren't willing to pay premiership prices to buy the club.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    In fairness, they look a pretty decent investment if you can get them running properly - outside the prem, and at the time a bit of a mess so quite a bit cheaper than buying a Stoke or a West Ham, but everything except the playing side being set for premiership football, it looks quite appealing if you want to be the owner of a premiership club, but aren't willing to pay premiership prices to buy the club.
    I suppose, I guess they will probably have some good facilities there still from their Premier League days, Elland Road included.

Glad to see Leicester are handling the PL well also. Seems like you still the basis of last year's squad, a lesson to most newly promoted teams probably. Hope to join you up there next year.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Spoiler:
    Show

Leeds play Sheffield Wednesday at lunchtime on Saturday, little over two days after the Reading game. So that decision to move the game back is giving them less time to prepare for their next game. You can see where he's coming from by doing that.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Bye bye Dougie Freedman. Surely.

ReputationRep:
    I'd have taken a point before the game. Surprising to see Huddersfield overcome Wolves at Molineux too, that's what makes the championship great.

ReputationRep:
    Always think that 10 games in the leagues should be settling down, but the Championship is still very tight. Beyond saying that the bottom couple of teams are unlikely to be getting promoted, and the top teams are unlikely to get relegated it's still very much to play for. A few teams must be starting to look over their shoulders now. As a Norwich fan I know I am, thinking that we can't afford too many more slipups with teams behind really starting to pick up points. Forest fans must be thinking the same. Expect Forest fans like the thought of Derby's season picking up and them being in position to overtake at the weekend is as unappealing as Norwich being in the same position with Ipswich. At the other end, Wigan fans must be getting a little anxious, seeing the bottom teams starting to recover and themselves now just above the relegation zone. Just shows how hard the league with so many of the bottom sides being in the Premier League in the fairly recent past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluttershy)
    Always think that 10 games in the leagues should be settling down, but the Championship is still very tight. Beyond saying that the bottom couple of teams are unlikely to be getting promoted, and the top teams are unlikely to get relegated it's still very much to play for. A few teams must be starting to look over their shoulders now. As a Norwich fan I know I am, thinking that we can't afford too many more slipups with teams behind really starting to pick up points. Forest fans must be thinking the same. Expect Forest fans like the thought of Derby's season picking up and them being in position to overtake at the weekend is as unappealing as Norwich being in the same position with Ipswich. At the other end, Wigan fans must be getting a little anxious, seeing the bottom teams starting to recover and themselves now just above the relegation zone. Just shows how hard the league with so many of the bottom sides being in the Premier League in the fairly recent past.
    Blackpool win was a surprise. It does look a tight league at both ends.

The Bees will need to win to keep at the top of the Conference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Bye bye Dougie Freedman. Surely.
    I backed him all last season, but this year he can have no excuses. We need a fresh start , not sure who with though :/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ..DT..)
    I backed him all last season, but this year he can have no excuses. We need a fresh start , not sure who with though :/
    Steve Clarke or Neil Lennon imo.

I think the likes of McDermott, Mowbray, Hughton would all be sound, natural appointments, but it's quite uninspiring. Maybe take a punt on someone from League One - Karl Robinson and Steven Pressley spring to mind.

ReputationRep:
    Coventry City Council voting on whether to let London Wasps buy a 90% stake in ACL next week, reported £30m bid. When will this Ricoh madness end?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Steve Clarke or Neil Lennon imo.

I think the likes of McDermott, Mowbray, Hughton would all be sound, natural appointments, but it's quite uninspiring. Maybe take a punt on someone from League One - Karl Robinson and Steven Pressley spring to mind.
    Forget Pressley. His delight at surrendering a 2-0 lead at home to Crawley should say all you need to know about his ambition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Former Chelsea midfielder Slavisa Jokanovic has replaced Billy McKinlay as Watford boss, only eight days after the Scot was put in charge.

The 46-year-old won back-to-back Serbian titles as Partizan Belgrade manager and joins the Hornets from Spanish third division side Hercules.

He becomes the Championship club's fourth head coach in 37 days.

The **** is going on here. Is this some kind of ''find the most obscure manager'' competition?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Former Chelsea midfielder Slavisa Jokanovic has replaced Billy McKinlay as Watford boss, only eight days after the Scot was put in charge.

The 46-year-old won back-to-back Serbian titles as Partizan Belgrade manager and joins the Hornets from Spanish third division side Hercules.

He becomes the Championship club's fourth head coach in 37 days.

The **** is going on here. Is this some kind of ''find the most obscure manager'' competition?
    We've decided we're going to hold our own Manager of the Month award from now on, that's all!

In all seriousness though, it's not like we've been hiring and firing managers, more of a chain of different events occuring. Sannino really should've left at the end of last season if the supposed dressing room issues were as bad as claimed, Garcia's heart problems couldn't really be foreseen and McKinlay supposedly never even had a contract as Head Coach and rumour has it he might be back at Fulham in a few days anyway.

Completely unimpressed with the new guy though really. Going unbeaten as Muangthong United in the Thai top flight and winning two Serbian leagues sounds like a very Football Manager-esque CV. In Pozzos we trust though
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Midlander)
    Coventry City Council voting on whether to let London Wasps buy a 90% stake in ACL next week, reported £30m bid. When will this Ricoh madness end?
    [/SIZE]
    Christ. It only affects the football club if you believe Sisu would buy the Ricoh though, doesn't it? And they evidently never would.

ReputationRep:
    Christ. It only affects the football club if you believe Sisu would buy the Ricoh though, doesn't it? And they evidently never would.
    The bid has now been accepted by the Council, the Labour members of which I have told they can no longer expect my vote. It removes any chance of the club, be it under SISU's ownership or otherwise, from using the Ricoh in any capacity other than as tenants.

Wasps owe no loyalty to Coventry based sports teams-to some extent, the council did need to as their voters and taxpayers would also be City fans. We must now choose between giving Wasps a few hundred grand every year or actually building a new stadium. Rock, hard place, fecked etc

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 22, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.