Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hh510)
    Could you shed any light on my previous question in regards to weighing Irish Junior Certificate against GCSE? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    NI's link colleges are St Catz and New by the way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiaf)
    Hey I want to read English at Oxford too! This is just what my school has said but I think Oxford rank your GCSEs and ELAT test score, and look at your reference and PS to judge whether or not to give you an interview. Your GCSEs are solid, so if I were you I would focus on getting a good score in the ELAT (though that's not 'til November) and writing a clear PS. Just keep reading too: what I'm doing is focusing on a specific era/author to gain in-depth knowledge so I have something to talk about at an interview, were I to get one! Good luck
    Thank you! I'm so scared for the ELAT, how are you preparing for it? Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    Here you are (applied to Brasenose, interviewed by us or at another college, with at least one GCSE qualification):

10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-2A 10A*-3A 11A* 11A*-1A 11A*-1A 11A*-1A-1B 11A*-2A 4A*-4A-2B 5A*-6A 5A*-6A-2B 7A*-1A 7A*-2A-2B 7A*-3A 7A*-3A 7A*-4A 8A*-2A 8A*-2A-1B 8A*-2A-2B 8A*-4A 9A* 9A*-1A-1B 9A*-1B 9A*-2A
    Thank you. This seems noticeably higher than other courses - is this typical right across the university for E&M?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    :confused:

It's New and St Catz that link with Northern Ireland.
    Yes, that's right. We carelessly read across the columns for the link regions here:
    http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...erines-college

Thanks for correcting the mistake!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by econam)
    Thank you. This seems noticeably higher than other courses - is this typical right across the university for E&M?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We think it is, judging from the applications for Oxford as a whole. We can't filter for interviewees but reckon the same differential will apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claudiar99)
    Thank you! I'm so scared for the ELAT, how are you preparing for it? Good luck
    Hey thanks I haven't really started yet, just did a mini-paper and some critical commentary on poetry my teachers gave me. I'll probably begin preparing properly once we're back at school, just doing past papers. Idk how else to do it, such a scary paper! Have fun practising

ReputationRep:
    GCSE grades: 8 A*s, 2 As, 1 Distinction
    A-Levels: AAAA in Maths, Physics, Further Maths and German (hopefully will be predicted A*A*AA respectively
    Course: Engineering Science
    College: Oriel or The Queen's

The only thing is, one of my As at GCSE was in maths!! At AS I got 94% in Maths and 91% in Further Maths which I hope can compensate but I'm still terrified that with one look at my GCSE maths grade they may flat out reject me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    NI's link colleges are St Catz and New by the way
    As far as I know , NI schools follow a similar system to UK schools. Republic of Ireland then has a different approach in terms of not GCSE/A-Levels.
    I'm just wondering really what would be expected of students results wise who have sat Irish Junior Cert., will try get on to Irish alumni to give myself some idea.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    GCSE grades: 8 A*s, 2 As, 1 Distinction
    A-Levels: AAAA in Maths, Physics, Further Maths and German (hopefully will be predicted A*A*AA respectively
    Course: Engineering Science
    College: Oriel or The Queen's

The only thing is, one of my As at GCSE was in maths!! At AS I got 94% in Maths and 91% in Further Maths which I hope can compensate but I'm still terrified that with one look at my GCSE maths grade they may flat out reject me.
    They definitely won't flat out reject you, I promise! Make sure your UMS gets mentioned, that'll allay any worries your tutors might've had about your maths. To be honest, I think it'll have a very small impact anyway - PAT and interview are much more important, and your GCSEs and AS are otherwise really good.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE grades: ABBBBCCC (I have extenuating circumstances)
    A-Levels: AAA
    Course: History and Politics
    College: Oriel College

GCSEs are very low by Oxbridge standards but got an offer from Cambridge this year with them and Oxford have assured me that I could make a competitive application
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    GCSE grades: ABBBBCCC (I have extenuating circumstances)
    A-Levels: AAA
    Course: History and Politics
    College: Oriel College

GCSEs are very low by Oxbridge standards but got an offer from Cambridge this year with them and Oxford have assured me that I could make a competitive application
    Why did you decide to reapply to Oxford if you already have an offer from Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Why did you decide to reapply to Oxford if you already have an offer from Cambridge?
    I've potentially missed it (getting remarks atm to know for sure though)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    I've potentially missed it (getting remarks atm to know for sure though)
    Oh dear... Best of luck with the remarks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Oh dear... Best of luck with the remarks!
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KombatWombat)
    They definitely won't flat out reject you, I promise! Make sure your UMS gets mentioned, that'll allay any worries your tutors might've had about your maths. To be honest, I think it'll have a very small impact anyway - PAT and interview are much more important, and your GCSEs and AS are otherwise really good.
    Yep, I'm definitely looking to get my UMS mentioned as they were 90%+ for every subject (not good enough for Cambridge but good enough to mention, I'd reckon). Thanks but it's definitely a concern - at GCSE I made loads of silly mistakes and the topics covered were so broad which is why I did better at AS where the modules were very focused and easy to revise (and although the content was more difficult, this was good for me as I made fewer mindless errors like messing up on a highest common factor question at GCSE!!!)

ReputationRep:
    Would Oxford mind re-sits? Because i didn't do as well in Latin and German as i expected >-<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspirantPPE)
    Good luck, I'm applying too. What A levels are you taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks (': Maths, History, Economics and Further Maths (retaking S2 in further to get the A at AS but dropping it anyway). Wbu?

And how's the personal statement/tsa prep coming along?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WinterApproaches)
    Thanks (': Maths, History, Economics and Further Maths (retaking S2 in further to get the A at AS but dropping it anyway). Wbu?

And how's the personal statement/tsa prep coming along?
    Maths, History and English, but might also do further maths. Do you think it'll help when we get to uni? I'm also doing an evening course at Edinburgh uni, since Ill need a reference, it's been a while since I was at school.

I've already done a little personal statement, but it will need a lot of work to be Oxford Worthy! Tsa, not looked yet, waiting on my books coming.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any other potential medics?!

My GCSEs aren't bad, UMS much lower than hoped for so my predicted grades will be A*AAA I believe!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm asking on behalf of my brother who wants to do Economics and is thinking about Oxbridge. I am familiar with Cambridge application process but not with Oxford's. He got his GCSE results today which were 12A*s and 2As (he's remarking the 2As ) and I was wondering if these results would be good enough for Economics?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.