Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How did you lot find Medify Mock 1? Is it meant to be the easiest? Just got 685 in it(according to medify) and 710(according to doing 33/55 = 0.6, 600x0.6 = 360 + 300 = 660 method) Not sure if that's good or bad

ReputationRep:
    what was the highest EVER ukcat score?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pra99)
    what was the highest EVER ukcat score?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewishier)
    VR: 820
    QR: 830
    AR: 870
    SJT: Band 1
    Average: 840
    Resources used: Medify, Kaplan, 1000Q, 1200Q UniAdmissions, Official UKCAT tests
    You're a genius

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaysinn)
    VR: 700
    QR: 800
    AR: 600 (lost track of time :-( )
    SJT: band 1
    Average: 700
    Resources used: mock tests on the website. I only did the first paper plus the ones that focused on each section. I prepared 1 day before my paper hahaha.

I would recommend not taking the decision making part seriously since its not marked. I used that time to rest my brain!!
    No prep until the final day? Yooooo how did u get them mad VR&QR scores?!

ReputationRep:
    How are u lot getting mad high scores in QR?

ReputationRep:
    FOR KAPLAN ONLINE USERS:
    is there any keyboard shortcuts like in medify and the actual exam? its wasting my time clicking using the mouse when I'm used to using the shortcuts

ReputationRep:
    Yaaas finally finished 😜
    VR: 640
    AR: 750
    Avg: 740
    Band 2

The VR was harder than Medify about the same as official practice tests l, QR was much easier than Medify and official tests and AR in my opinion was a bit harder than Medify but might just be that I drew harder questions. Good luck everyone 🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by medicapplicant)
    Yaaas finally finished 😜
    VR: 640
    AR: 750
    Avg: 740
    Band 2

The VR was harder than Medify about the same as official practice tests l, QR was much easier than Medify and official tests and AR in my opinion was a bit harder than Medify but might just be that I drew harder questions. Good luck everyone 🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well done on a fantastic score, and great insight for others after the test.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! Can some please give me any tips, tricks and potential resources regarding Abstract Reasoning. This in my opinion is my weakest area as I struggle to find the correct pattern especially under timed condition.

ReputationRep:
    I just did the test today!
    vr: 700
    Qr: 800
    Ar: 600
    Average: 700
    Stj: band 1

My greatest advice would be
    1. Track the time!! I lost track of time for AR hence the disappointing score
    2. Don't bother taking the decision analysis bit seriously. It's not computed so use the time to rest!
    3. Do the mock stj practices and read the explanations for the answers. Questions don't repeat themselves but TYPES of questions do. So figure out the correct answer for that type of question and you should be pretty good to go!
    4. Try the mock QR tests and get used to the online calculator. It took a few tries to get used to!
    5. If the question is too long/too complicated, click a random answer, flag it and move on. Go back to the question if you have time because chances are that there are easier questions behind. Inputting a random answer also ensures that you have a chance of getting the question right. I left at least 20 questions (i think) blank for AR because i forgot my own advice ._.

I did not purchase or use any other resource apart from those available on the ukcat website. In fact, I only did the first mock test. I didn't do the other 2. And I only started prep one day before my test!! So those with minimal time and have no idea where to start, I would recommend going straight to the ukcat website and doing the questions for each type (basically not the mock tests) and reading the explanations for all the questions!

Sorry for the ridiculously long post!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aamina_123)
    Hey guys! Can some please give me any tips, tricks and potential resources regarding Abstract Reasoning. This in my opinion is my weakest area as I struggle to find the correct pattern especially under timed condition.
    Hi, for me I use:
    Number (this can be number of sides, shapes, angles...)
    Shape (curved edges or straight edges and maybe size of shape)
    Symmetry (how many lines of symmetry and order of symmetry)
    Position (where are the shapes located in each set this is useful when both sets have exactly same shapes but in different positions)
    Colour (i keep this the last because in most cases its a distractor BUT sometimes its the pattern so dont rule it out completely)

i like to start with Number but some people prefer to strat with shape in the above mnemonic its up to you how you use it. Goodluck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aamina_123)
    Hi, for me I use:
    Number (this can be number of sides, shapes, angles...)
    Shape (curved edges or straight edges and maybe size of shape)
    Symmetry (how many lines of symmetry and order of symmetry)
    Position (where are the shapes located in each set this is useful when both sets have exactly same shapes but in different positions)
    Colour (i keep this the last because in most cases its a distractor BUT sometimes its the pattern so dont rule it out completely)

i like to start with Number but some people prefer to strat with shape in the above mnemonic its up to you how you use it. Goodluck

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    I am trying to register to the Ukcat and create a pearson VUE web account it's asking about my UKCAT ID. I don't know what that means. The option says: Do you know your UKCAT ID - Yes my UKCAT ID is
    No I don't know my UKCAT id
    Could someone explain please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potatoo)
    Hi.
    I am trying to register to the Ukcat and create a pearson VUE web account it's asking about my UKCAT ID. I don't know what that means. The option says: Do you know your UKCAT ID - Yes my UKCAT ID is
    No I don't know my UKCAT id
    Could someone explain please
    When I registered, I think I clicked 'no I don't know my UKCAT id

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by agahaga)
    No prep until the final day? Yooooo how did u get them mad VR&QR scores?!
    For VR, i tried to read the text fast but well. This way, you can answer the questions thoroughly without having to refer back to the passage. Towards the end, i was running out of time so i read the questions first then went back to scan the passage for keywords. If its taking too long, pick a random answer and move on!!!

QR was a surprise tbh. It was my worst aspect during the one mock test i did. But you really should just skip the questions that take too long LOL and practice online. Get used to the calculator. I hated it hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harpal10)
    When I registered, I think I clicked 'no I don't know my UKCAT id
    okay thanks mate

ReputationRep:
    Anyone using medify know if we get marks awarded in the real test if we get 'partially correct' answers in the situation judgement section?

ReputationRep:
    In the exam - for question 2 -

Athens plane has already flown 1,500km before London plane sets off due to timezone differences.

Athens plane flies a further 1 hour = 2,000 km / overall i.e. Paris
    London plane flies for 1 hour = 400 km i.e. Paris

1 hour flight from London to Paris, setting off at 1 PM London time = 3pm Paris time.

Try to avoid formula as you need to do these things in your head ideally.

That can be done in 90 seconds hopefully. You'll spend most time working out how many hours head-start has one plane over the other. Then do some trial and error (They could only possibly ever meet in Paris or Rome anyway - it would be super mean if it was half way between Paris and Rome. If the Athens plane had already passed Paris before the London plane got to Paris via your trial and error, you could then reasonably certainly choose an answer of Between London and Paris).

The idea is not to get bogged down in the details. Use speedy systems in your head to get an answer - and ask yourself does it sound a sensible answer.

ReputationRep:
    In order for activites 3,5, 6 and 7 to be completed, you need to identify if any other activies need to be completed.
    Make a very quick list with a piece of paper.

Activities required:

1 - 12 x 30k
    2 - 6k
    3 - 75k
    4 - 10k
    5 - 25k
    6 - 5k
    (Ignore activity 7 as it tells you to in the question)

SUM the above in your head ideally = 481k

--

Try to do it in 2 minutes, it's too wordy in my opinion for a 1 minute question.
    Notice I skipped writing the multiplication for activites 2 through 6 - it wastes time. You can do them in your head hopefully faster than you can write 5k x 2. And don't write 5,000. Waste of time. Write 5k if there's unlikely to be any small numbers involved. And if the answers are e.g. 430k, 460k, 481k, 500k. You can probably get away with k. If the possible answers are 10,064 and 11,931 , don't use k.

K meaning one thousand of course.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.