Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    https://goo.gl/nVvgw9

ReputationRep:
    anyone else bricking it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunnybeebee)
    TMS - calibrate the spectra with reference peak at 0 ppm

D2O - solvent to remove hydrogen from N-H, O-H by allowing them undergo proton exchange to remove them from spectra

CDCl3 - solvent for compound about to undergo analysis

Wrong or right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes but if you wan't the stock answers here they are.

TMS is used as the standard for chemical shift measurements

D2O undergoes proton exchange (with labile protons e.g. OH, NH)

CDCl3, a deutarated solvent, is used as it does not provide a peak

ReputationRep:
    do we need to know that halogenoalkanes + NH3 (or amines) would eventually turn into a quaternary ammonium salt if NH3 is not in excess (or the halogenoalkane is in excess ) ?????? p.s. i hate spelling the word quaternary !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rust Cohle)
    Yes but if you wan't the stock answers here they are.

TMS is used as the standard for chemical shift measurements

D2O undergoes proton exchange (with labile protons e.g. OH, NH)

CDCl3, a deutarated solvent, is used as it does not provide a peak
    Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lai812matthew)
    and solid amino acid = zwitterion ??
    A zwitterion is a dipolar but neutral amino acid from by the donation of the hydrogen atom from the carboxylic acid to the amino group

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In TLC how do you know about the solubility of compound? Like the higher the Rf the more soluble???? idk....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunnybeebee)
    A zwitterion is a dipolar but neutral amino acid from by the donation of the hydrogen atom from the carboxylic acid to the amino group

Posted from TSR Mobile
    got that one thx

ReputationRep:
    do we need to know that halogenoalkanes + NH3 (or amines) would eventually turn into a quaternary ammonium salt if NH3 is not in excess (or the halogenoalkane is in excess ) ?????? p.s. i hate spelling the word quaternary !
    You'll just be able to need to say that ethanolic ammonia is in excess to prevent further substitutions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haydenator)
    In TLC how do you know about the solubility of compound? Like the higher the Rf the more soluble???? idk....
    the greater the solubility, the slower the component moves, cause it will be more attached to the stationary phase. Rf= distance move by component/ distance move by solvent, so Rf is smaller. and retention time longer.

ReputationRep:
    the greater the solubility, the slower the component moves, cause it will be more attached to the stationary phase. Rf= distance move by component/ distance move by solvent, so Rf is smaller. and retention time longer.
    TLC has nothing to do with retention time. It's separation by adsorption.

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck everyone 🍀
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Does anyone know if dilute, excess acid or alkali is used in any of the hydrolysis reactions? It keeps popping into my head and I can't remember what it's used for!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suibster)
    TLC has nothing to do with retention time. It's separation by adsorption.
    lol yeah sorry. so it would be the stronger the adsorption, the component binds more strongly. travels in shorter distance. Rf= distance move by component/ distance move by solvent. therefore Rf value decreases.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck guys!! Hoping the h nmr is kinder than last year 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If in GC and the stationary phase is a solid, then it separates by adsorption right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Wolf)
    If in GC and the stationary phase is a solid, then it separates by adsorption right?
    Yes, that's correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Wolf)
    Yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lularose83)
    Does anyone know if dilute, excess acid or alkali is used in any of the hydrolysis reactions? It keeps popping into my head and I can't remember what it's used for!!
    almost every reaction uses conc acid except diazotisation which uses dilute HCl i think?

ReputationRep:
    almost every reaction uses conc acid except diazotisation which uses dilute HCl i think?
    All hydrolysis reactions use dilute acid and alkali

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.