Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    anyone got access/pictures of the paper ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saldudsjen123)
    Phew thankyou! I was really worrying about this because everyone else seemed to have put reflux,fingers crossed I will get the mark😬 I stupidly wrote filtration for the separation though
    I wrote filtration as unfortunatley

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomaarrss)
    would chromatography get you the mark for the seperation
    For separation of the alcohol from whatever the other thing was I wrote chromatography

(Original post by Aerosmith)
    If you put reagent: NaOH and conditions: aqueous would that get you the conditions mark? Or did you have to say dilute? I think I've dropped around 18-20 marks on this paper
    I'm going to be honest I have no idea

I'm trying to remember the paper to see how many marks I think I've dropped but I honestly don't know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ELCRE)
    I wrote filtration as unfortunatley

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought filtration was okay?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have or think they can get the CHEM paper anytime soon?

ReputationRep:
    did anyone else do a different way for proving the molecular formula for R other than the normal chem 1 way? i did 118 x percent of element , then divided that by the Ar of the corresponding element and proved it that way. would that still get me the marks? (eg, 118x0.61=71.98, then 71.98/12 = around 6, therefore 6 carbons, etc.)

(Original post by ravichauhan11)
    did anyone else do a different way for proving the molecular formula for R other than the normal chem 1 way? i did 118 x percent of element , then divided that by the Ar of the corresponding element and proved it that way. would that still get me the marks? (eg, 118x0.61=71.98, then 71.98/12 = around 6, therefore 6 carbons, etc.)
    Wrote C, H, O
    Then % underneath each
    Divided each % by Ar of each
    Then divided this value by smallest value from above (this was empirical formula)
    Then did Mr/sum of Ar of empirical formula = 2 then multiplied all the atoms by 2

ReputationRep:
    Did this too. Hope it's okay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thisshouldbeapun)
    Currently revising Chem5 after that atrocious chem4

How much do we need to know about reversible and irreversible cells? Do we need to know the half equations for examples etc or do we only have to know that the reaction can be reversed in rechargeable cells?
    I would try and know every single last thing there ever is on this planet in order to prepare. No but just revise like manganate autocatalysis because that might come up, the rest half equations should be given but you know aqa we might just get set a 45 marker on how acids are really bases and how random **** is better as a salt

ReputationRep:
    All your teachers will have the paper, just go to them and ask to see it and take photos or whatever,
    Now I hope everyone's in "AQA CHEM4 2016 Complaints" on Facebook? We've got replies from the daily mail so join and we will grow and sign the petition more and get fairer results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suits101)
    Wrote C, H, O
    Then % underneath each
    Divided each % by Ar of each
    Then divided this value by smallest value from above (this was empirical formula)
    Then did Mr/sum of Ar of empirical formula = 2 then multiplied all the atoms by 2
    Yeah that's the normal way, would my way still get the marks?

ReputationRep:
    It sounds as if there were alternatives - the mark scheme should be quite lenient. As long as you genuinely show the given result, you should get full marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alevels16)
    I thought filtration was okay?
    Filtration, but you'd need an inert solvent.
    I thought chromatography was the standard answer they wanted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ljm1998)
    All your teachers will have the paper, just go to them and ask to see it and take photos or whatever,
    Now I hope everyone's in "AQA CHEM4 2016 Complaints" on Facebook? We've got replies from the daily mail so join and we will grow and sign the petition more and get fairer results
    I don't think it was unfair. Yes it was tricky and a bit weird, but fair, and grade boundaries will be adjusted accordingly (i.e. my teacher thinks it will be 88 maximum for 120 UMS)

All the people moaning about it relied too much on past papers and not enough on understanding of the subject. Petitions and protesting will do nothing - just focus on smashing CHEM5!

ReputationRep:
    Since the separation one was on about separating getting the carboxylic acid from the carboxylic acid, wouldn't you just add HCl or something then filter out the salt? Thinking chromatography won't produce an acid from an ion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aethrell)
    Since the separation one was on about separating getting the carboxylic acid from the carboxylic acid, wouldn't you just add HCl or something then filter out the salt? Thinking chromatography won't produce an acid from an ion
    I don't think it was separating two carboxylic acids - I think one was an alcohol and the other had carbonyl (it may have been carboxylic acid). Since the alcohol is more polar, it would be attracted to the stationary phase and the carbonyl compound to the eluent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadherin)
    I don't think it was separating two carboxylic acids - I think one was an alcohol and the other had carbonyl (it may have been carboxylic acid). Since the alcohol is more polar, it would be attracted to the stationary phase and the carbonyl compound to the eluent.
    It was in the same 3 marker as the base hydrolysis right?

If it was then that was talking about an ester being hydrolysed to a carboxylate salt and an alcohol. If I remember correctly, the question asked how it could get the acid.

Could be very wrong though...

I don't see why not!

(Original post by Aethrell)
    Adding HCl would turn the salt into a carboxylic acid and NaCl - it would then still be mixed with the alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suits101)
    I don't see why not!

Adding HCl would turn the salt into a carboxylic acid and NaCl - it would then still be mixed with the alcohol.
    Ah ****, yeah. I see now.

I thought it meant getting an acid from the salt.

Completely disregarded the alcohol >.>

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.