Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    Guys what text books did you use for AS?
    The best textbook you could use is:

Essentials of UK Politics Textbook by Andrew Heywood
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Essentials-.../dp/113753074X

This^ thing is set out WAY clearer) than the Edexcel Government and Politics for AS (4th Edition), which I've linked below =)

Textbook by Neil McNaughton
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Gov.../dp/1444178806

I cannot praise Heywood enough, lol- life saver!
    (plus my teacher found a lot of errors in the McNaughton one- v. unreliable, do not recommend, but take a look).

Hope that helped =D

ReputationRep:
    Late reply but I got an A! Unit 1: 90 Unit 2: 82

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oawad98)
    Late reply but I got an A! Unit 1: 90 Unit 2: 82
    Well done you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyadtr)
    Well done you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks!!!

I actually can't wait for A2 US politics, it will be really good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oawad98)
    Thanks!!!

I actually can't wait for A2 US politics, it will be really good.
    Ohh you're doing us politics..well I hope you enjoy it cause it seems to be an interesting topic with their election coming up so that's an advantage for the exam next year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IRoranth)
    The best textbook you could use is:

Essentials of UK Politics Textbook by Andrew Heywood
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Essentials-.../dp/113753074X

This^ thing is set out WAY clearer) than the Edexcel Government and Politics for AS (4th Edition), which I've linked below =)

Textbook by Neil McNaughton
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Gov.../dp/1444178806

I cannot praise Heywood enough, lol- life saver!
    (plus my teacher found a lot of errors in the McNaughton one- v. unreliable, do not recommend, but take a look).

Hope that helped =D
    Apparently the Heywood book has limited info especially for unit 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyadtr)
    Ohh you're doing us politics..well I hope you enjoy it cause it seems to be an interesting topic with their election coming up so that's an advantage for the exam next year

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ideologies is boring apparently
    It's hard as well many say

ReputationRep:
    Guys i got 1 ums off an A was certain I had got an A... Gone for a remark hope I get it ;/

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the Heywood book has limited info especially for unit 2.
    It's not that limited, it has the facts down and i thought it was really helpful.

Then again, with examples, it's quite scarce. But you have to do your own research for examples, so it's filled with current affairs. Unless it's for like, the Constitution or Judiciary section. Those are pretty ancient concepts, so i'm sure you can have ancient examples lol.

(I'm not sponsored by Heywood, LOOL I just really like the textbook)

PS: I had both textbooks and these packs my teacher used to make- they're extra helpful when you use them alongside one another- i recommend you do that with your teacher's resources, too

ReputationRep:
    Ideologies is boring apparently
    It's hard as well many say
    Can't wait 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Who else is studying American politics for A2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tej98)
    Pretty chuffed to get an A
    sammeee!! what UMS out of 200 did you get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missytwinpeaks)
    sammeee!! what UMS out of 200 did you get?
    Brilliant! I got 166 out of 200, roughly equates to 83%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missytwinpeaks)
    Who else is studying American politics for A2?
    I will be , I did American 20th century in history for AS so that should be helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I got an A in unit 2!! But a C in unit 1, bringing my grade down to a B I'll retake unit 1 but a C is a little shocking! Did any one else fall short on unit 1?

I'm doing American politics for A2 also. I've just come back from going to the US on a programme that explores politics and culture there so I'm super looking forward to it.

ReputationRep:
    I got an A in unit 1 and C in unit 2 which is amazing considering i only wrote a paragraph for the 25 marker. if i had the C in unit 1 i would retake that but unit 2 is too much stress next year and also im sure i have a generous marker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elleinterrupted)
    I got an A in unit 2!! But a C in unit 1, bringing my grade down to a B I'll retake unit 1 but a C is a little shocking! Did any one else fall short on unit 1?

I'm doing American politics for A2 also. I've just come back from going to the US on a programme that explores politics and culture there so I'm super looking forward to it.
    Hi, I feel your pain! I got an A in unit 1 with 86 ums and a B in unit 2 with 73 ums. I was 100% sure I had an A and got 1 ums off... 159/200. Got a remark and it didnt change so will be retaking it next year (unit 2). Annoying though as going for A* next year.

(Original post by boringvoice)
    I will be , I did American 20th century in history for AS so that should be helpful.
    (Original post by elleinterrupted)

which book will u be using for american politics in A2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    I think I'll use the My Revision notes revision guide to revise. In class last year we didn't really work from any textbook we just expanded upon what was in different revision guides with current examples. I think this year we'll probably be taught more using powerpoints.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    That's the thing, I have no idea. Probably ask my teachers when I get back. What are you thinking of using?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.