Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gledsy1984)
    I have news that will interest all those waiting to be assigned...... Exchanged e-mails with Lisa at the Cabinet Office on Friday and found out that I had been assigned to a department, but they had not yet had chance to pass my papers on, due to enquiries and paperwork stemming from the recent department changes and mergers. My FSAC score was 18.22 (I attended a DS FSB, but didn't pass). Apparently I am top of the list for people whose papers need to be sent to the necessary departments. Am really hoping for MoD! Hope that this gives some of you some kind of indication as to the timescale for your assignments!
    apparently, i've been "provisionally assigned to a department" but my papers haven't been sent off either. perhaps sometime this week?! it'd be nice to know so i can plan a vacation!

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I entered the Civil Service with the Fast stream in 1990. I had to leave after 3 years for personal reasons, but always felt that it was the correct career path for me.

In December 2008 I applied to the Border Agency for an HEO post that was advertised as part of the Fast Stream entry. I was offered a post, subject to pre-employment checks in March, and was told that these were all completed 3 weeks ago and that I was just waiting for a starting date.

With no written offer, I kept contacting the ERG for confirmation, and I have now been told that there has been a change in the business requirements and that no posts are being offered at present. I am on a waiting list for the next 6 months. Is this standard procedure?

Charlie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlie500)
    Hi.

I entered the Civil Service with the Fast stream in 1990. I had to leave after 3 years for personal reasons, but always felt that it was the correct career path for me.

In December 2008 I applied to the Border Agency for an HEO post that was advertised as part of the Fast Stream entry. I was offered a post, subject to pre-employment checks in March, and was told that these were all completed 3 weeks ago and that I was just waiting for a starting date.

With no written offer, I kept contacting the ERG for confirmation, and I have now been told that there has been a change in the business requirements and that no posts are being offered at present. I am on a waiting list for the next 6 months. Is this standard procedure?

Charlie

Hey charlie,

So sorry to hear about that you must be so frustrated. I don't know if its common throughout departments but i have had a similar experience with the FCO over a operational officer post. After a very long drawn out recruitment process i was informed i had a job subject to vetting in August 2008, depsite chasing for info nothing happened with vetting till January 2009 when it seemed to get moving again, then in April i got a letter out of the blue saying due to changes in departments etc, the places were now not available. I was gutted and incredibly annoyed having been left hanging on for months. In my case they said they wouldn't keep our details, new positions were unlikely to come up and if they did i'd have to go through the whole recruitment process again anyway. As it goes it all worked out for the best as i decided to try and go for the fast stream and managed to get in (currently waiting for assignment), but my advice would be this does happen and whatever you do don't bank on them coming through with another job offer. If they do great, but make sure you don't get left hanging-my biggest regret is i didn't keep looking for other roles whilst i was waiting for the FCO to sort out my supposed position. Hope this doesn't sound like too much of a downer and i hope they do get back to you soon with another job offer.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that Rah. Most amusing (displeasing is probably a better word) is that my present post was advertised by current employers last Tuesday. Their recruitment process also takes several months and they were keen to get started. As I havn't given my notice in, they've wasted their money on advertising. I guess that the moral of the story is don't be open and honest with your current employers, though I will continue to be so.

ReputationRep:
    Have found out today that i'm going to the Home Office- pleased about that! Going down next Wednesday to discuss the role in more detail. Anybody else been assigned there?

ReputationRep:
    Snap, found out yestreday i'd be going to the Home Office-i'm really pleased as it was there or DFID i'd have liked and with so few DFID places i was banking on the Home Office.

I'm not around next week so i'm going for my chat with them the week after-let me know how yours goes though! I'm just so happy to finally be assigned now, as like you i had a massive wait having gone through the DS FSB's-i'm just hoping i can get a quickish start date as i can;t wait to leave my current job!!

ReputationRep:
    I got assigned two weeks ago, and sent an email to make contact with the manager. I still haven't received a reply. I've sent one chasing email, and contacted the cabinet office to get them to chase as well, but no joy.

I'm starting to get really worried. A lot of other people seemed to get a really quick response, and have already been to see their managers. What with them closing down the assignments because of no jobs, I'm concerned that the delay is because they haven't got a job for me.

Has anyone else been assigned to DEFRA and either seen the manager, or had no response?

ReputationRep:
    I was assigned to the Treasury a couple of weeks ago and waited for them to contact me. The guy finally contacted me a few days ago and said he was slightly behind so they would be inviting me for a meeting next week. I'm sure you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still waiting on the MoJ after a few weeks with nothing. I didn't get a reply either. Luckily I have plenty to be busy with or I think I'd be going out of my mind. It's unnerving and I still have a paranoia that the job will be taken away at any moment. I'm looking forward very much to finalising things. Soon I hope.

edit: My obsessive google-ing bought this website to my attention: http://www.civilservant.org.uk/ No doubt it's been posted before, but it's a good read and perfect for whetting appetites/letting us know what we're in for. Especially as I've never worked in the public sector before now.

ReputationRep:
    Jdld - I have been assigned to the MoJ too. I met with them on Friday as I was down in London anyway (I am from Scotland) and so I thought I could kill two birds with one stone... It was a really good meeting and she said that they have sent out all the postings for current Fast Streamers and will be assigning us new Fast Streamers within the next one or two weeks (though I personally expect it may be longer!). She said that postings depend on preferences (though our chances of getting Democracy, Law and Constitution are practically nil!), security clearance and our availability. Hope this helps, and I'd encourage you to keep trying to contact them - maybe a phone call? I certainly found that a face-to-face meeting really helped.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who went to a DWP familiarisation thing in the last 2 weeks heard back yet? I thought it was pretty good myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coolsharp)
    Anyone who went to a DWP familiarisation thing in the last 2 weeks heard back yet? I thought it was pretty good myself.
    Was that for DAS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coolsharp)
    For DAS? No, not heard anything yet, but I also enjoyed it and am very pleased about how positive it all was. It would be nice to hear soon about which job we have been allocated!

ReputationRep:
    Hey jdld and km44. Glad to hear you've been posted to the MoJ. I've been there since September and it's a great department to work for.

The reason things are taking so long is there are still clearing up the last few issues with the current Fast Stream postings, things are never as simple as they should be! Also, they are right about Democracy, Constitution and Law. It is extremely popular and many current Fast Streamers who wanted placements there were disappointed - it is the smallest business group and has the smallest budget so jobs are slim pickings I'm afraid.

That said there are some great posts available still, especially in the Criminal Justice Group so don't be too concerned.

Do let me know when you find out where you are working, I'd be interested to find out!

Look forward to meeting you at MoJ!

ReputationRep:
    Great to hear from fellow Justice-people. It was my first choice and I'm thoroughly looking forward to it, even if I can't go straight to Democracy, Law and Constitution.

I'll hold off hassling anyone at the department in that case Lottiee, there's no sense in making more work, so long as I'm not forgotten about!

Looking forward to starting and meeting you guys.

ReputationRep:
    I've had my papers sent to MoJ too (which I understand internal wags call 'minge'!), and am thrilled to bits. Was told over the phone last week that they had other priorities to settle first before meeting me, which was a touch off-putting (how could anyone have anything more important to do than settle my posting?!). Thanks Lottiee for clarifying what that meant.

Very curious to see what they'd like me to do for them, and what you guys look like!

ReputationRep:
    has anyone been assigned to the cabinet office yet?

im still waiting for any word on my assignment!

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at what we've been getting up to at CivilserviceLive - http://www.civilservicelive.com/

Keeps us off the streets and out of trouble.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. I'm considering applying for the fast stream diplomatic service later this year. When were the DS selection boards and assessments held this year? I'm estimating when they'll be held next year to see if they fit around my other commitments. Mant thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey Lottiee, good to hear from you, and I am glad you're enjoying the MoJ. I found my meeting really helpful, and I am looking forward to getting started! I am sure that all the new Faststreamers realise we are bottom of the pile when it comes to allocations, but it sounds like there are some really good postings available, and I am excited to see what comes my way. Looking forward to meeting all the other new Faststreamers as well!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.