Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    First draft done :party: (only ~2000 words over... ) Probably got at least as much work still to do on it but going to wait for some feedback on that draft first.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I am from Texas, and I'm going to Texas again this summer (if I pass exams) and for a week in October (no matter what, because my brother's getting married). Haven't been since 2008.
    :console: You can bring back some of the fruity icebreakers om nom nom... :yes:
    • PS Helper

(Original post by Mushi_master)
    I got my first choice last year (and we won on our poster presentation ), but it was a less popular one (polycystic kidney disease). This year I got my 5th choice for my taught module, and am currently having my arse kicked by my 2nd choice library project.
    Wow, well done! ah, i can't even imagine how much work it is to do 2 SSCs during the year on top of everything else. I feel like us first years have it so easy :p:

ReputationRep:
    what do you have to do for SSCs? essays? exams?
    • PS Helper

(Original post by John Locke)
    In first year, an essay and a poster (in a group of 5/6, which we have to present). Not sure about second year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billet-doux)
    In first year, an essay and a poster (in a group of 5/6, which we have to present). Not sure about second year.
    ohh, sounds cooool have you chosen yours yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billet-doux)
    Wow, well done! ah, i can't even imagine how much work it is to do 2 SSCs during the year on top of everything else. I feel like us first years have it so easy :p:
    They've gotta break you in gently

Well we have every Tuesday set aside for SSC, so it's not that bad if you're willing to use that day for it each week. It is a bit of a pain in the arse doing that alongside core stuff, but you get used to it.

We have a mix of stuff really. In second year you do a library project which is a 5000 word essay, and the other is either a taught module or a language. Taught modules can simply be lectures and tutorials, with a written exam, poster or essay; or they can have a mixture of that and lab write ups if appropriate, maybe vivas or presentations. Content totally depends on the module - can simply be in the classroom, or maybe a bit of time with patients in the community or hospital, maybe in the labs. In clinical years they become much more, well, clinical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    I's been in your medical schools, checking out your labs :awesome: Massive ta to Lemon for showing me Impy so far, Guys > Impy > UCL. Bloomsbury is like some weird private school
    High 5 for the Guy's love!

ReputationRep:
    When I did them, they were a real mixture.

Firstly, back then they were SSMs and that stood for Study Something Meaningless.

Some were assessed on essays, some on presentations, some on attendance and overall impression and some on audit or research.

The only fixed ones were SSM3B which was a workbook which covered comms skills, psychosocial issues, literature review and a little bit of basic science and SSM5 which was a 4,000 word dissertation.

I suspect it's changed to become much more quantitative since then though.

ReputationRep:
    Got my ticket for Sonisphere. Oh yes.

ReputationRep:
    My SSC was more practical, it was assessed by an exam and then by me teaching in schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    Got my ticket for Sonisphere. Oh yes.
    "Please rate some other members before rating this member again."

BTW guys, I'm going to get a ban this week so I can get my coursework done. See y'all at the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovehotchocolate)
    They did do well, I'm very proud of the ladies for winning. I sadly didn't race. It was just gong to work out as being too expensive and the budget didn't stretch. It's just as well actually as I had a knock on my door at 2 this morning from my housemate who was vomiting blood and in a pretty bad way :confused: I have to say I always do a hip hooray for the other team when we race. Do you not?
    Was that the peninsula women's IV? In a category with 1 other iV
    Yeah we do every time, but they did it straight off, and it's nice to get one from a crew of giants who raced past us haha :p:

Oh dear

ReputationRep:
    Just got back the breakdown of my results:

Basic Clinical Sciences - 77.44% - ranked 13th in year
    Community & Public Health / Personal Professional Development - 75.25% - ranked 19th in year
    Patient & Doctor (OSCE) - 80.75% - ranked 22nd in year

Overwhelemed and so happy!

:hoppy:

ReputationRep:
    Bah. I want my neuro exam questions to be on Eyes or the Vestibular system. Nice and simple.

Or spinal chord lesions.

Nothing to do with higher brain function.

(Original post by i'm no superman)

Community & Public Health / Personal Professional Development - 75.25% - ranked 19th in year

Well done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Bah. I want my neuro exam questions to be on Eyes or the Vestibular system. Nice and simple.

Or spinal chord lesions.

Nothing to do with higher brain function.
    When are your exams? I heard they're pretty soon. I have a friend who is revising ike crazy at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i'm no superman)

Woop woop!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    When are your exams? I heard they're pretty soon. I have a friend who is revising ike crazy at the moment.
    8ish weeks. I havent covered 1 module yet... I worked out I need to do 4 lectures a day every day to finish going over everthing...once...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    8ish weeks. I havent covered 1 module yet... I worked out I need to do 4 lectures a day every day to finish going over everthing...once...
    Ouchie. Well good luck with them! I've heard how horrific they are. Don't you have today off?

I know far too much about ICSM!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    Ouchie. Well good luck with them! I've heard how horrific they are. Don't you have today off?

I know far too much about ICSM!
    I do. And as you know I spent the morning in Westfields :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.