The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1700
Oracle_163
are you kidding? hahhaa you know me already la

okay blame my bad memory, i might have asked you before. but i really cannot recall eh. sorry man.
Reply 1701
gi.
of course, valid point. Singapore universities fees are very 'worth it' if you factor in the fees. well fees being primary concern for most people actually, so it will no doubt come into play when choosing universities (local vs overseas).

but its harsh to call an oxbridge med education not great, since well, as the name says it all. its oxford and cambridge. all rounder universities. NUS cannot even touch them with a yardstick in any subject except med and law. true, no?

and, im not slamming NUS or any local universities for that matter.

I guess studying at oxbridge is definitely gd for many reasons but for locals who want to become docs, NUS medicine is excellent already. The majority of students are of high quality and they distinguish themselves internationally through competitions as well. The top students are all in medicine, and hence, the other faculties need to work harder to be comparable to top overseas unis i guess.
Isaacchan
same here dude, 2011 too... which unis u applied to?

I applied to Cambridge Kings Edinburgh and Soton...applied this year for a gap year, you?
Hello, does anyone know if the ADDITIONAL MATHEMATICS taken at Singapore O Levels is equivalent to the current UK AS level?
kaiping_lin
I applied to Cambridge Kings Edinburgh and Soton...applied this year for a gap year, you?

aberdeen leeds manchester and sheffield. gap yr too. sigh NS
terence
I guess studying at oxbridge is definitely gd for many reasons but for locals who want to become docs, NUS medicine is excellent already. The majority of students are of high quality and they distinguish themselves internationally through competitions as well. The top students are all in medicine, and hence, the other faculties need to work harder to be comparable to top overseas unis i guess.

i won't say the top students are ALL in medicine. other facs like law and business attract good students who have no interest in medicine.
Isaacchan
aberdeen leeds manchester and sheffield. gap yr too. sigh NS

Yea I know NS fml...im still in BMT just enlisted in early October. Did you know that gap year entries are a lot harder to get in? Its cause unis have to be sure that you are really good enough that you are definitely better than applicants next year. Really NS is killing me. Just curious, do you need to go for interviews? Cause i have to and the leave thing with NS means I can go overseas for only 3 days this year or some ****...
kaiping_lin
Yea I know NS fml...im still in BMT just enlisted in early October. Did you know that gap year entries are a lot harder to get in? Its cause unis have to be sure that you are really good enough that you are definitely better than applicants next year. Really NS is killing me. Just curious, do you need to go for interviews? Cause i have to and the leave thing with NS means I can go overseas for only 3 days this year or some ****...

i purposely applied to the unis tt interview here in singapore (manc and aberdeen) or dun interview at all(leeds).

y did u enlist so late?

sigh abt the gap yr thing. anyway i'll most likely end up studying med in australia anyway.
kaiping_lin

o ya. edin dun interview right, soton interviews in malaysia, cambridge and kings nt sure. but 3 days leave...wth...lols. + ur bmt block leave will eat up all ur leave liao.
Reply 1709
I just chanced upon this (finally, some Singapore!)
Everyone's applying to Oxbridge! I'm going to assume most people here are from HCI/RIJC.

Anyone applying elsewhere?

I'm thinking of Law/Econs at certain places but I can't fulfill all 5choices with the same course. (Plus, it's going to make personal statement writing a chore with trying to factor in every course I want to do)

Is there an absolute need for an interview then?
limx
I just chanced upon this (finally, some Singapore!)
Everyone's applying to Oxbridge! I'm going to assume most people here are from HCI/RIJC.

Anyone applying elsewhere?

I'm thinking of Law/Econs at certain places but I can't fulfill all 5choices with the same course. (Plus, it's going to make personal statement writing a chore with trying to factor in every course I want to do)

Is there an absolute need for an interview then?

melsonchun to limx,

long message over.

Hullo, limx, this is melsonchun.

Law for lse ucl kcl bristol and warwick here.

Conditional offer from warwick obtained, over.
Reply 1711
melsonchun
melsonchun to limx,

long message over.

Hullo, limx, this is melsonchun.

Law for lse ucl kcl bristol and warwick here.

Conditional offer from warwick obtained, over.

Haha those schools are a little high end for me. I'd probably be wasting all my choices. My predicted are ok but the personal statement (that I've yet to write freaks me out).

Probably looking at Leicester, Exeter, scottish unis and Warwick.
Hey.

For those who have moved to the UK already; I understand that there are lots of things to prepare, like the documents to prepare eg.visa, health screening et cetera, bank accounts and health screenings. Where did you guys get those information on what to prepare from? The ones I have listed above are the fairly obvious ones, and I was wondering if I might leave anything out when my time to move has come. Therefore any replies are appreciated.:biggrin:
Reply 1713
from uni's singapore society website / seniors at university / friends going overseas as well.
Reply 1714
apparently i heard visas is the biggest and most taxing problem to do
Reply 1715
limx
Haha those schools are a little high end for me. I'd probably be wasting all my choices. My predicted are ok but the personal statement (that I've yet to write freaks me out).

Probably looking at Leicester, Exeter, scottish unis and Warwick.

if you want to practice law when you are back to SGP, don't choose scottish unis then.
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has an interview to any of the Medical schools already????
chenamanda
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has an interview to any of the Medical schools already????

manchester jan 2010
Reply 1718
melsonchun
Hey.

For those who have moved to the UK already; I understand that there are lots of things to prepare, like the documents to prepare eg.visa, health screening et cetera, bank accounts and health screenings. Where did you guys get those information on what to prepare from? The ones I have listed above are the fairly obvious ones, and I was wondering if I might leave anything out when my time to move has come. Therefore any replies are appreciated.:biggrin:

there is a pre-departure event for UK bound students from Singapore, once you have confirmed a place in a UK university. so if you are applying this cycle (regardless of gap year entry or not), and you are offered and have accepted a place in a UK university, you will be invited to this exhibition/talk/sharing thing at suntec around july. there are like contracted companies setting up booths to explain to you the moving/bank accounts/mobile phone accounts/visa application and all that admin matters, with all the various schools with their own booths of course.
Reply 1719
limx
apparently i heard visas is the biggest and most taxing problem to do

haha yes, you are right about that. very tedious.

Quick Reply

Latest