Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD* Watch

ReputationRep:
    Predictions for conflict poetry on Thursday

ReputationRep:
    Hi I didn't talk about language much at all, apparently we are not marked on that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any predictions for the relationship cluster poems to come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sian01x)
    I came across this forum last night, when I was still trying to cram in some last minute revision. Happy I found it, and Slim really did come up in OMAM. So glad, I think I did alright in OMAM. I'm aiming for a B.

Also, I did AIC but I'm really scared because I stupidly answered BOTH questions instead of picking one. Argh, what was I thinking? Could this mean I'll get 0 in AIC...
    they will mark both questions

the one with the highest mark is counted

ReputationRep:
    Oh no! , I did alright in the of mice , but i think i've really screwed up my an inspector calls, i really need a b/A* grade to do ib , i probably think in this test i'll get like a b/c , oh my life

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Inspector Calls along with About A Boy, Stressing it bigtime, you're lucky doing Animal Farm, i've read that ever since i was little :cute::heart:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't like the paper to be honest, and unfortunately I think I may have thrown away my chance of getting an A*.

I did the Inspector Calls question on the ending, which I though was a decent question, as it allowed me to talk about use of dramatic techniques, tension, and the use of the falling curtain at the end which I related to a guillotine. However, I thought the Of Mice and Men questions were pretty bad, especially Part B. Compared to January's paper which had questions of Curley's wife, this paper gave us very little to talk about.

ReputationRep:
    Slim for Of Mice and Men was very predictable I think, since he was the only really significant character who hadn't come up yet. I think it went well, the Crucible question was easy as well, about John and Elizabeth Proctor's relationship (I hadn't practised this question exactly but I had done enough similar ones to know what to say). The other question on witch trials looked crappy, I wouldn't really call witch trials a theme so much as the subject of the entire play? So an odd question I thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jon888)
    Predictions for conflict poetry on Thursday
    i really think it will be one of out of the blue.. and hawk roosting

hopefully it will be about individual experainces

ryan

ReputationRep:
    anyone do woman in black? i have no idea what the second available question was going on about - something about childhood? i only know of one person who chose that question! felt like i didn't have enough time to finish my WIB because i concentrated mostly on OMAM in the end...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andersson)
    Hey guys, some people have been speculating about Slim coming up in the OMAM question, so I've made a practice question for everyone just in case:

a) Read pages 55 to 56 from "A tall man stood in the doorway." on page 55 to "You the new guys?" on page 56. How does Steinbeck present Slim as someone of importance?

b) In the rest of the novel, what is the importance of Slim in the story?

30 marks.
    SPaG: 4 marks.

Sorry the questions aren't perfect, I'm no exam writer. The questions are also quite hard, but it's always best to prepare for the worst so you aren't shocked at the difficulty of the question when you open the exam. Best of luck everyone.

Edit: If you really want a challenge, time yourself and see if you can get it done in the time you should allocate to it in the exam (about 45 minutes).

P.S: Feel free to adapt the questions in any way if you think you can improve them.
    You're all welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanb97)
    i really think it will be one of out of the blue.. and hawk roosting
    hopefully it will be about individual experainces

ryan
    Cheers I thought it'd be about out of the blue, am just praying it is because I can compare to Belfast confetti

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andersson)
    You're all welcome.
    I'd give you a thumbs up but TSR says I should go and rate some other members

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! How did you all find it? I'm so glad that Slim and My polish teacher's tie came up, but I wish I could've wrote more!

ReputationRep:
    It was ok, but my timing was a bit off so yeah, I didn't write as much as I would have liked to have done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LemonFish)
    It was ok, but my timing was a bit off so yeah, I didn't write as much as I would have liked to have done.
    If it was a two hour exam...that'd be perfect, but what's done is done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elm Tree)
    I wrote about 6 pages in total.. not happy with how it went tbh.
    In retrospect, I could have analysed stuff a bit more and expanded on some points :sigh:
    I only wrote about five, but I wish I could've wrote more too! The only one thing I hate about English is the timing I liked the questions though, which one did you do? I did My Polish Teacher's Tie and Compass and Torch

ReputationRep:
    I only wrote a page and a bit for Of Mice and Men.. is that okay?

The student room predictions were right though!

ReputationRep:
    UGH IT WENT TERRIBLY

An Inspector Calls was okay and I chose the Eric question, but I spent too much time on it!

The To Kill A Mockingbird part (a) was **** and I couldn't find anything of any value in it, part (b) was fine but I ran out of time.

I probably got a C on this exam.

NO MORE ENGLISH IN MY LIFE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Oh yeah and my teacher didn't say there was SPaG marks lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I suppose, the chemistry made up for it though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.