Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel - Chemistry Unit 2 - 4 June 2013 Watch

• View Poll Results: Which topic(s) are you finding most difficult?
    Shapes of molecules and ions
    11.66%
    Intermediate bonding and bond polarity
    15.95%
    Intermolecular forces
    9.82%
    Redox
    17.79%
    Group 2 & 7
    40.49%
    Kinetics & Equilibria
    14.11%
    Organic Chemistry - Alcohols and Halogenoalkanes
    39.26%
    Mechanisms
    26.38%
    Green Chemistry
    28.83%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meehar17)
    what are the answer to question 6,10,15 and 16
    for 6, A?
    a substance will only dissolve if the strength of the new bonds formed is about the same as or greater than the strength of the bonds that are broken? and graphite and diamond are insoluble because of the strong bonds covalent bonds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dyingbreed)
    for 6, A?
    a substance will only dissolve if the strength of the new bonds formed is about the same as or greater than the strength of the bonds that are broken? and graphite and diamond are insoluble because of the strong bonds covalent bonds?
    That theory is based on inter not intra molecular forces, so covalent bonds have no relevance.

ReputationRep:
    well you could probably work out what full UMS is by thinking about the grade boundaries. say the boundary for an A is 60 and the UMS mark for an A is always 96 then the value of one UMS is 96/60 using that u can estimate your UMS for your mark. so if 60 was an A then 75 would be full UMS

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=geor;43016748]These are my answers for the multiple choice in order. Correct so we can get a mark scheme done?
    DBCACBA(although many think C so that is probably right)ABDDBBCABDACC

i dont agree with your last answer for 20 i think its B. because when deciding if something is carbon neutral you want to know all the energy/fuel given out and C is to be taken into consideration but B isnt

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Sciencefella;43017109]
    (Original post by geor)
    These are my answers for the multiple choice in order. Correct so we can get a mark scheme done?
    DBCACBA(although many think C so that is probably right)ABDDBBCABDACC

i dont agree with your last answer for 20 i think its B. because when deciding if something is carbon neutral you want to know all the energy/fuel given out and C is to be taken into consideration but B isnt

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought it's B too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yay! Hopefully dropped no more than 18 marks! I'll be happy with a B.

Does anyone have the Unit 1 June paper?

ReputationRep:
    What's the answer to 22c(i )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geor)
    Do you mean 19?
    It doesn't matter how much energy is released per tonne of biofuel as this has no correlation with CO2 emissions. However, it does matter how much energy we USE to make the biofuel, as that energy has probably come from fossil fuels which release CO2 when they are burned. Biofuels require pesticides and fertilisers to be grown, which require energy to make and hence CO2 will be produced. Therefore it is not B.

The fact about pesticides/fertilisers making biofuels not carbon neutral is in a past mark scheme I think. I am sure this answer is C.
    Oh my bad :/ mark lost there then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Got 20/20 on multiple choice according to previous answers! Would any one care to do a full mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    For 22c(iii)

would you look for a lack of shifting of O-H in alcohols?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why I put that arghh I think that's wrong! You would look at that to see if it has been fully oxidised wouldn't you?

Oh well still on 72/80 or so

ReputationRep:
    for 23)e do you think its ok if i just wrote chlorine is less electronegative than fluorine? or did you have to specifically say HCl does not hydrogen bond but HF does?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geor)
    Ahhh I put this dammmmn. We might get it - I think I put look for a C=O peak as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The marks will be the alcohol has a OH group and the product doesn't and the alcohol doesn't have a C=O but the oxidized product would

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    The marks will be the alcohol has a OH group and the product doesn't and the alcohol doesn't have a C=O but the oxidized product would
    You're just stating functional groups instead of specifically stating the absorption spectrum that would occur

ReputationRep:
    is anyone able to post the direct exam paper file onto the thread? Would be greatly appreciated
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I've lost 7 marks max. All I need is 105 ums in this paper and I'm done with chemistry!

ReputationRep:
    Do u think for 22c(i ) I would get the marks for writing a ketone is formed and that no oxidation occurs with A
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Sciencefella)
    Do u think for 22c(i ) I would get the marks for writing a ketone is formed and that no oxidation occurs with A
    You need to refer specifically that the C=O pattern is seen in the product but not present in the alcohol. Then you could also add that the OH broad peak is not present in the product but only present in the alcohol, just to secure your marks.

ReputationRep:
    answers to the titration calculations questions anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Please could someone tell me the exact answers to the last two questions - outline mechanism for global warming....and the anthropogenic climate change....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.