Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Vader 7)
    Wenger isn't in the top 5 managers in the world? :lolwut:

I'm sorry but the amount of teams that have tried to get him (including Madrid who went to Wenger first before getting Mourinho) on it's own proves he's one of the top 5 managers in the world and highly sought after.
    Highly doubt most people around the world would take that view maybe before the last 8 years but certainly not now.

(Original post by sevchenko)
    BERBATOV- maybe do some research before making ridiculous statements
    Correct me if im wrong but did Levy not rant about them after he sold berbatov to them, ever since then Levy has had no respect for united. I was talking about after berbatov, he probably signed zeki fryers just to piss off fergie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    I think you forgot the point that Daniel Levy will never sell any of his players to Manu. Ever, another reason why Manu fans are deluded when they think they can get Bale
    Michael carrick and dimitar berbatov. :facepalm2:

And spurs have a much better team than then, have world class/close to world class players that are worth much more than the likes of carrick and berba like modric and bale in recent times. They're also more financially stable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Vader 7)
    Wenger isn't in the top 5 managers in the world? :lolwut:

I'm sorry but the amount of teams that have tried to get him (including Madrid who went to Wenger first before getting Mourinho) on it's own proves he's one of the top 5 managers in the world and highly sought after.
    (Original post by 419)
    Was going to point this out, but, I know that it'll inevitable leads to another 'lets count number of titles and CL that each has won' game.
    Ferguson, Mourinho, Klopp, Heynckes, Guardiola. Who do you disagree with?

ReputationRep:
    All rumours at this stage but what does everyone think of Higuain? I would certainly take him over Jovetic and Villa. I have also heard of another striker that's gone under the radar: Soldado. He has 20+ goals the last three seasons for Valencia so we'd know what we're getting, and the fee would be around £17-20m. I think that all four are good strikers, but it's debatable if they would propel us into becoming a team that can challenge for the league. Lewandowski, Falcao and Cavani would but I'm not sure they're feasible options. We can afford to sign them for a big fee and easily deal with the wages but that deviates from Wenger's philosophy and we all know how stubborn he is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Since when was Klopp or Guardiola in that list, it looks like a list of popular managers rather than the best according to ability

ReputationRep:
    Since when was Klopp or Guardiola in that list, it looks like a list of popular managers rather than the best according to ability
    Since Klopp took a team from mid table to winning the league in consecutive years and reaching a Champions League Final, with a tiny net spend. And since Guardiola won 2 Champions Leagues in 3 years along with a treble in his first season, then the year he retires his team of exactly the same players gets battered 7-0 in the CL semi?

ReputationRep:
    Since Klopp took a team from mid table to winning the league in consecutive years and reaching a Champions League Final, with a tiny net spend. And since Guardiola won 2 Champions Leagues in 3 years along with a treble in his first season, then the year he retires his team of exactly the same players gets battered 7-0 in the CL semi?
    Your list is basically managers that are currently doing well not best managers. Heynckes doesn't even belong in the list, neither do Guardiola and Klopp imo- but I can see why they'd get a mention. But hey ho, let's keep counting number of trophies they've won.

ReputationRep:
    I'd replace hernckes with ancelotti,
    I don't think guardiola is as good as every says he is (still thinks he's good, but needs to prove himself, how is taking over bayern a challenge? They are so good, its hard not to win) and his barca team had messi, xavi, iniesta, Villa all on such good form

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

The fact that you can summarise their achievements in a paragraph show they've accomplished nothing compared to the true managerial greats greats. Guardiola managed the best team in the world when Barca was at their peak, he abandoned ship when he realised the team was getting stale I'm yet to see Guardiola have a real challenge balancing matters on and off the pitch. Klopp has done well at Dormound but that doesn't qualify him to be in the top 5 managers in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by printergirl)
    I don't think guardiola is as good as every says he is (still thinks he's good, but needs to prove himself, how is taking over bayern a challenge? They are so good, its hard not to win) and his barca team had messi, xavi, iniesta, Villa all on such good form

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He came in and promoted the team. Xavi and Iniesta were not the same players before he came. It wasn't as easy as everyone says.

The fact that you can summarise their achievements in a paragraph show they've accomplished nothing compared to the true managerial greats greats. Guardiola managed the best team in the world when Barca was at their peak, he jumped ship when he realised the team was getting stael. I'm yet to see Guardiola have a real challenge balancing matters on and off the pitch. Klopp has done well at Dormound but that doesn't qualify him to be in the top 5 managers in the world.
    Notice how Barcelona became the best team when he arrived. He didn't arrive into the best team in the world. People saying he inherited a bunch of superstars need to realize that he was a big part of things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Your list is basically managers that are currently doing well not best managers. Heynckes doesn't even belong in the list, neither do Guardiola and Klopp imo- but I can see why they'd get a mention. But hey ho, let's keep counting number of trophies they've won.
    How can you argue with Klopp? He has a net spend of ONE million at Dortmund (add in Gotze and it's a net profit of 36 million) and with that he's won two titles and reached a CL final.

What more could Guardiola have done?

I can see why you'd disagree with Heynckes and maybe he shouldn't be in there, but to build a team that can demolish Barcelona so convincingly is impressive.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you can summarise their achievements in a paragraph show they've accomplished nothing compared to the true managerial greats greats. Guardiola managed the best team in the world when Barca was at their peak, he abandoned ship when he realised the team was getting stale I'm yet to see Guardiola have a real challenge balancing matters on and off the pitch. Klopp has done well at Dormound but that doesn't qualify him to be in the top 5 managers in the world.
    What a ridiculous thing to say. That's not all their achievements. He managed the best team in the world because that's what he made them. Season before he came, knocked out by United in the CL, Real won the league. His first season, easily beat United in the final, won the league with three games to spare.

(Original post by printergirl)
    See above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    I've always said I want Joachim Loew.

A disciplined and classy manager. It's a rear combination.
    Yes! I totally agree!

Mind you, when Jogi Loew coached Stuttgart (my club) fifteen years or so ago, his contract wasn't renewed "because he wouldn't get drunk with the players" (no kidding, I'm not making this up). At that time Stuttgart were playing really well.

Seems the chairman thought much like Zuerich. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    How can you argue with Klopp? He has a net spend of ONE million at Dortmund (add in Gotze and it's a net profit of 36 million) and with that he's won two titles and reached a CL final.

What more could Guardiola have done?

I can see why you'd disagree with Heynckes and maybe he shouldn't be in there, but to build a team that can demolish Barcelona so convincingly is impressive.
    Wenger has a net spend of £12m (Yes it's more than Klopp but to put it into context, Fergusons net spend is £213m) and has won the league 3 times, the FA cup 4 times, French Manager of the Year, Premier League Manager of the Year 3 times and even has an asteroid named after him. HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF THE KLOPPTEROID? NO! :borat:

Beyond this he also had a successful career in Japan and France, revolutionised the modern game in Britain and has carried Arsenal through the most delicate period in their history extremely successfully. He may not be as good a tactician as Mourinho or as good a motivator as Ferguson but he is without doubt one of the most well rounded managers in football, very few have such an in depth understanding of what is required off the pitch as well as on it as Wenger.

Klopp is a good manager but he's going to have to do it over a number of years to be considered up there with the greats. Let's not forget, his success has coincided with a golden age of German players and it has been just as much the direction Borussia Dortmund has taken as a club that is the reason for their success.

Lets be honest though if Mourinho wanted to come you'd take him
    Assuming that 'you' there refers to the members here rather than the club, no - I've said several times before that I wouldn't want Mourinho at the club.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, klopp if he carries this on would be amazing. Although he could just as easily do a brian clough.
    Wenger>>Guardiola. What annoys me is that he'll probably win a CL with bayern when it's already a great team he inherited, he personally had a harder job at barca.
    Oh and the old guys like capello, del bosque, trappatoni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Klopp could easily just turn out to be brian clough mkII where his early acheivements could outshadow everything else in his career if he stays at dortmund despite how ridiculous his early acheivements were so he's not at wenger's level yet(give it 5-10 years then I'd put him above).
    Guardiola. Don't even get me started on him. He's third on the all time overrated managers list.

Klopp has basically done what wenger did in his early years.

ReputationRep:
    So you think Wenger isn't as good as Mourinho, Heynckes and Guardiola. Why? If he had those squads and that type of money, you don't think he would've won similar honours?

I've spoken to various fans from all different clubs in the country as well as in Europe and the general consensus is that Wenger is one of the best managers in the world.

Very odd for you to think otherwise and I'd be interested to know of a manager that could've kept Arsenal in the top 4 for the last 8 years (as we transitioned from Highbury to the Emirates) whilst making a profit in the transfer window.

Why were Bayern interested in him twice? What about Madrid? What about Barca? What about PSG?

I'm sorry but those clubs wouldn't be after him unless he was one of the best managers in the world.

ReputationRep:
    Wenger Is Defo in the top 5 managers. He has to be. Never finished outside top 4 with Arsenal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redfmx)
    Wenger Is Defo in the top 5 managers. He has to be. Never finished outside top 4 with Arsenal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And never won the CL.. But Heynckes, fergie, guardiola and mourinho have.. And the fact that he's been in the game for a long time is even worse... I don't think he will ever win it

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.