Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsjmcgrath)
    Oh my, that's terrible! Someone really needs to sort out these exam boards. See, that's the only good thing Michael Gove proposed with the EBCs: just one exam board for each subject (well, it might have been one exam board with divisions for each subject, but it's the same thing really). AQA and the other exam boards actually seem to judge exams relatively fairly.

I know one person who got an A* in my Music class, however he does happen to be Grade 8 and has played at the Royal Albert Hall (during the Proms, I think, some sort of special event). He's also part of the school jazz band which, I believe, reached the national finals. To add to that he's also in various other bands and Grade 7 (I think) on Piano. But my problem is, you shouldn't have to be at that level to get a good GCSE - that's A-Level, if not degree calibre! Of course he definitely deserves that grade, but it seems odd that I and many others in my class have got Grade 4 and above in an instrument of some shape or form and only ended up with Cs.
    One of my closest friends is in the national youth orchestra (or something like that) and only came out with a D overall....These marks are way too harsh

ReputationRep:
    Actually looking forward to starting sixth form now! It's good we still have a bit more time after results though :yes:
    Strangely excited for all the uni talks and open days within the next year

ReputationRep:
    Me too! Getting my results has made me excited to get back to school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Nor)
    One of my closest friends is in the national youth orchestra (or something like that) and only came out with a D overall....These marks are way too harsh
    Oh my... That's disgraceful. I almost want to start properly investigating this, it doesn't sound fair at all.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my... That's disgraceful. I almost want to start properly investigating this, it doesn't sound fair at all.
    Go for it But bottom line is no one has done good in music everyone I know (even from other schools) have failed.

ReputationRep:
    It's finally hit me that I'm leaving everyone behind by going to college .-.
    Why it's took so long I don't know

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Go for it But bottom line is no one has done good in music everyone I know (even from other schools) have failed.
    Haha, I really want to, but I've heard kicking up a fuss doesn't really do much good. It's unjust, but they'll probably just argue that some people clearly did pass so it can't be wrong. Maybe it's communication between schools and OCR that is the problem? Because my Music teaching was pretty awful, really, but I don't consider my Music teacher as a necessarily bad teacher. So it could be that he just didn't understand what he had to teach us because OCR were being vague?

*puts on deerstalker*

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I really want to, but I've heard kicking up a fuss doesn't really do much good. It's unjust, but they'll probably just argue that some people clearly did pass so it can't be wrong. Maybe it's communication between schools and OCR that is the problem? Because my Music teaching was pretty awful, really, but I don't consider my Music teacher as a necessarily bad teacher. So it could be that he just didn't understand what he had to teach us because OCR were being vague?

*puts on deerstalker*
    My teacher basically let us piss around most of the lessons and she didn't even care so....But some really talented people got Ds and Es for no good reasons....Maybe these are the highest boundaries ever?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie238)
    Actually looking forward to starting sixth form now! It's good we still have a bit more time after results though :yes:
    Strangely excited for all the uni talks and open days within the next year
    Me too. I just want to get started on my A levels now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emcat)
    Me too. I just want to get started on my A levels now.
    as soon as I got my results my teachers thrust homework onto me :lol: so i'm going to get started on that soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techno836)
    as soon as I got my results my teachers thrust homework onto me :lol: so i'm going to get started on that soon
    Really? I've never heard of a school doing that.

Is it odd that I actually kind of miss having homework to do?

ReputationRep:
    I got 7A*s 3As and 5Bs .. if you want a breakdown i'll PM you
    well done those are really good results !

ReputationRep:
    I got one lot of homework before school finished and one on Book Return Day but thankfully none today, although I still haven't finished that so I need to get back to it soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emcat)
    Really? I've never heard of a school doing that.

Is it odd that I actually kind of miss having homework to do?
    It's to make sure that when we go back our minds are already in the zone ;D .. its only top end GCSE stuff and Low A level ones (kinda like bridging the gap books )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahiscool)
    well done those are really good results !
    haha thankyou I am very happy my chemistry teacher said I got full raw marks in my C3 exam :woo:

(Original post by SophieB1997)
    I got one lot of homework before school finished and one on Book Return Day but thankfully none today, although I still haven't finished that so I need to get back to it soon
    haha the work never ends :lol::rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    haha thankyou I am very happy my chemistry teacher said I got full raw marks in my C3 exam :woo:

haha the work never ends :lol::rolleyes:
    I got an E in my C3 exam :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    I got an E in my C3 exam :teehee:
    ahh I've been looking for you, how was your biology :lol: and what were your grades

ReputationRep:
    ahh I've been looking for you, how was your biology :lol: and what were your grades
    I got an E as well (and for the record I did in P3 too) I got 2Bs, 4Cs, 2Ds and a distinction. I know I'm not the smartest person in the world, but I still got into sixth form and I'm happy..

ReputationRep:
    It's to make sure that when we go back our minds are already in the zone ;D .. its only top end GCSE stuff and Low A level ones (kinda like bridging the gap books )
    Ahh, right. That's actually a pretty good idea.
    I got an E as well (and for the record I did in P3 too) I got 2Bs, 4Cs, 2Ds and a distinction. I know I'm not the smartest person in the world, but I still got into sixth form and I'm happy..
    Kind of glad someone else failed P3. I got a D and all my friends got As on it. Well done though for your other grades

ReputationRep:
    Well that's good you should be happy

(Original post by emcat)
    Ahh, right. That's actually a pretty good idea.

Kind of glad someone else failed P3. I got a D and all my friends got As on it.
    and yeah so I should be very sharp when I go back ... and i'll have my pre learned AS stuff that i'm doing in secret ;D :lol:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.