Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omgwhat)
    Hahahahah, oh lord! **** my life totally.
    Even if you had been allocated an older college, I don't think you'd be able to live in 'halls'. You'd most likely live in a place that resembles a block of flats designed by a 1970s architect.

I'm going to Jesus and I can tell you that the accommodation is similar to Murray Edwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    Even if you had been allocated an older college, I don't think you'd be able to live in 'halls'. You'd most likely live in a place that resembles a block of flats designed by a 1970s architect.

I'm going to Jesus and I can tell you that the accommodation is similar to Murray Edwards.
    Oh I know, but it's a lot more than that. See ^ post. Anyway - what's done is done. I can cross my fingers and hope to get pulled elsewhere but otherwise, this is my new jam.

ReputationRep:
    I was in Murray Edwards for my MPhil, and will be again for the PhD - I've visited many friends' accommodations in other colleges, and I have to say ME by far, has the best college accommodation at Cambridge (especially the en suite rooms in Canning and Eliza). The gardens are pretty, and we get a free formal every week unlike other colleges! I think there's too much hate for ME just because it's a women's college, but you can bring your friends and partners all the time (many of whom stay over for days/weeks and nobody will say anything).

Also, my MPhil was at the Downing site, and the walk/bike into town is not bad at all - max. 25 mins walk, and quite refreshing in the mornings.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't have any couples accommodation so I can't even live on site. *sobs*
    it is out of the way, especially considering a lot of my work will be at the Sidgwick site.

So.... Do you want to live on site or not? There seems to be a contradiction.

ReputationRep:
    I can't ****ing believe it. I got Murray Edwards. I will now proceed to die.
    :rofl: :hahaha:

Jokes aside, I know that Oxford has some university accommodation (non-college) for couples, maybe it's the same for Cambridge.

You can change colleges if you have a scholarship or a deanship elsewhere. Apply for the few scholarships still open at other colleges. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sj27)
    So.... Do you want to live on site or not? There seems to be a contradiction.
    There's no need to be pedantic... how is this constructive?

ReputationRep:
    Well.. aside from the fact that I can't make use of the accommodation and it's aesthetically offensive.. it is out of the way, especially considering a lot of my work will be at the Sidgwick site.

On top of that, they have no money for scholarships or travel grants, which I need for research. It's also an all girls college which is quite archaic and irritating. I went to an all girls secondary school and it was beyond frustrating to say the least.

Their formals look dire and the number of postgraduates equals to about 50 a year. Need I go on? Anyway, I'll have to get used to it.
    Hopefully you find a silver lining!

I got allocated Newnham today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    :rofl: :hahaha:

Jokes aside, I know that Oxford has some university accommodation (non-college) for couples, maybe it's the same for Cambridge.

You can change colleges if you have a scholarship or a deanship elsewhere. Apply for the few scholarships still open at other colleges. :dontknow:
    Hahaha, I got what was coming to me! :P I could give that a shot.

ReputationRep:
    Well.. aside from the fact that I can't make use of the accommodation and it's aesthetically offensive.. it is out of the way, especially considering a lot of my work will be at the Sidgwick site.

On top of that, they have no money for scholarships or travel grants, which I need for research. It's also an all girls college which is quite archaic and irritating. I went to an all girls secondary school and it was beyond frustrating to say the least.

Their formals look dire and the number of postgraduates equals to about 50 a year. Need I go on? Anyway, I'll have to get used to it.
    Aaaw, I feel for you! I hope something good will come out of it in the end, you never know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curie)
    Aaaw, I feel for you! I hope something good will come out of it in the end, you never know.
    You're right! One never knows, might turn out to be brilliant.

At the end of the day it's just a small part of my life and it's not a big deal, I just find it hilarious that I made jokes about getting my least favourite college but laughing it off because hey what are the odds?! My friend, the odds are.. 1 out of 31 and that is all it takes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lr750)
    Hey! I've been accepted for an MPhil in Industrial Systems, Manufacture and Management and I've been accepted to Pembroke College. Has anyone else been accepted to the ISMM programme or to Pembroke College?
    hey congrats on the offer !! I had my interview for ismm last week.. how long did it take to get an offer after the interview ?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Patiently waiting to hear whether or not I'll be at
    one of my preferred colleges in Autumn :afraid:

I fully expect Trinity to say no, but I'll be happy with anything decent

ReputationRep:
    I really wonder what exactly goes on behind closed doors for college membership.

I was turned down by Trinity in half a day and by St.John's after a 2 weeks wait

Fingers crossed for where I'll end up :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    You're right! One never knows, might turn out to be brilliant.

At the end of the day it's just a small part of my life and it's not a big deal, I just find it hilarious that I made jokes about getting my least favourite college but laughing it off because hey what are the odds?! My friend, the odds are.. 1 out of 31 and that is all it takes.
    probably they were reading this forum and decided to troll you, lol.

anyway it could have been worse, you could have been rejected. Congratulations on top of everything. Some of us, specially engineering people are still waiting to hear back.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I have applied for a Physics PhD, and I now have an interview at the end of the week with two members from the Doctoral Training Grant, who allocate EPSRC studentships. Does anyone have any idea what I might expect in this interview? I am getting more nervous about it by the minute!

ReputationRep:
    anyone know when the Board of Graduate Studies is next meeting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blah1blah2blah3)
    anyone know when the Board of Graduate Studies is next meeting?
    Does it not vary by department?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iCreptio)
    Does it not vary by department?
    I thought there was only one central BoGS but may be mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT1719)
    hey congrats on the offer !! I had my interview for ismm last week.. how long did it take to get an offer after the interview ?

Thanks a lot! It took around 2 - 3 weeks after the interview. How did your interview go? Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavaandmosquitos)
    Hi everyone,

I have applied for a Physics PhD, and I now have an interview at the end of the week with two members from the Doctoral Training Grant, who allocate EPSRC studentships. Does anyone have any idea what I might expect in this interview? I am getting more nervous about it by the minute!
    Hi congrats on the interview! I'm just wondering if you would mind sharing your profile please? I'm still really confused as to how the physics department allocate funding! When did you find out you had an interview?

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.