The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1700
How many marks was moments question ????
Original post by LightAtTheEnd
My school compiled a spreadsheet that lets us see marks n ums for any qualification and subject for edexcel. I cant link it cuz its an excel file however here are the past 3 years

2015 - 71/75
2014 - 70/75
2013 - 68/75

Note: google 'raw marks to ums converter edexcel'.
Click the third 'link' (the one with sussexdown college) and an EXTREMELY similsr spreadsheet will download. Once downloaded open it and enable content and macros.
Then you can use the coverter.

wow, I wasn't expecting them to be that low! thanks a bunch, this is gonna be super helpful! :smile:
Reply 1702
Original post by KloppOClock
wow, I wasn't expecting them to be that low! thanks a bunch, this is gonna be super helpful! :smile:

Do u know how many marks the moments question was
Original post by gurvin
Do u know how many marks the moments question was

7 i think, check the mark scheme
Original post by LightAtTheEnd
My school compiled a spreadsheet that lets us see marks n ums for any qualification and subject for edexcel. I cant link it cuz its an excel file however here are the past 3 years

2015 - 71/75
2014 - 70/75
2013 - 68/75

Note: google 'raw marks to ums converter edexcel'.
Click the third 'link' (the one with sussexdown college) and an EXTREMELY similsr spreadsheet will download. Once downloaded open it and enable content and macros.
Then you can use the coverter.

Download an app called grade converter on your phone
Attached are the grade boundaries for all Edexcel Maths papers, 2001 to 2015 for the current units.

If the 80 ums boundary is below 60, add (2 x the gap between the A and B boundaries) to the A boundary and that gives you the 100 UMS.

If the 80 UMS boundary is above 60, the 100 UMS is either 75 or 74, depending on whether the 80 UMS boundary is odd or even.
Original post by tiny hobbit
Attached are the grade boundaries for all Edexcel Maths papers, 2001 to 2015 for the current units.

If the 80 ums boundary is below 60, add (2 x the gap between the A and B boundaries) to the A boundary and that gives you the 100 UMS.

If the 80 UMS boundary is above 60, the 100 UMS is either 75 or 74, depending on whether the 80 UMS boundary is odd or even.

last 3 papers have had a 100 ums boundary of less than 71, and the paper wasnt significantly easier so it wouldnt rise that much
I have a couple of questions I was hoping you could help me with, firstly, for the impulse question I left my answer as -3Ns because I used a different positive direction, secondly, when sketching the speed/time graph, I put T after 25s as I just assumed the faster train would decelerate quicker, and thirdly for the moments question, I drew out diagrams for both scenarios and wrote out equations however I didn't solve simultaneously so I didn't answer any of the parts. How many marks do you think I dropped in total?
For question 2b, I am pretty sure it said the force exerted by the brick on the pan not the other way round, so wouldn't the answer be 1.5g (14.7N)
for question 3 and the impulse, I got all the correct workings to find initial momentum 1.6, the acceleration -1.225 and velocity U 3.5, but then in the final impulse calculation (stated I=m(v-u) I think) I forgot U was negative so did 0.4(4-3.5) instead of 0.4(4--3.5) so got 0.2 instead of 3. Total was out of 7 so how many marks do you think that would lose?
At a guess I think about 3? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=545963&d=1465397665

Also for 1B correct answer was :
p = (400+15t)i + (20t)j and q = (20t)i + (800-5t)j 3 marks
I put P=400i + t(15i +20j) and Q = 800j + t(20i-5j). I know they give you the exact same thing when you expand the brackets etc but do you think I would still be awarded marks for stating it in that form/any marks lost?
otherwise all good :smile:
Thanks!
Original post by LukeB98
This is how I did 7(a):

Set up a pair of simultaneous equations by multiplying the vectors we were given as parallel by some constant.

So:
F1+F2=R => ( - i + j ) + k( i + j ) = λ( i + 3j ) I can't remember the vectors given exactly, this is what I think.

Then equate i components: -1 + k = λ
Then equate j components: 1 + k = and solve for k. => k = 5/2

1) I'm not sure if it said as a bearing. If it said as a bearing you needed 104 degrees. Likewise if it said from the j direction.

2) You'd probably lose one mark if you left is as a negative. You would probably lose no marks if you wrote afterwards something like: "negative as friction is acting down the slope", though the question did say that it was on the point of slipping up the plane - so I'm not sure.

I really Hope it's 1. Had a family issue on the day of the exam so it was hard to focus
On the last question when I had to workout the tension I mis read the mass of one of the particles so I had both the masses as 3 ewuations were right steps were right just mis read the mass for the a) part
And I carried on thei value to use in the b part which again correct method but I used my previously wrong value because of mass misreading
How much you think?
I think first part was 8 and then next was 4
Ps: direction of my b part was right too
Original post by Ihatemaths666
I have a couple of questions I was hoping you could help me with, firstly, for the impulse question I left my answer as -3Ns because I used a different positive direction, secondly, when sketching the speed/time graph, I put T after 25s as I just assumed the faster train would decelerate quicker, and thirdly for the moments question, I drew out diagrams for both scenarios and wrote out equations however I didn't solve simultaneously so I didn't answer any of the parts. How many marks do you think I dropped in total?

question asked for magnitude so you would lose one mark for that question.

for part a you dont know if T is faster or slower than 25 seconds at that part so I don't think it matters, marks for graphs come from labelling the correct values and that the lines have the correct shape
For question 6, I obtained a value for d to be 1.1m Consequently, the mass of the brick I obtained for M was 42kg.
For the coefficient , I found the value to be 0.734 as opposed to 0.727, which I'm assuming was more to do with a rounding error from one of the steps in the solution as opposed to a incorrect method.
So, how many marks do you think I've lost for each question?
For the friction question how will I get if I messed up the final answer, assuming I got everything else right
How many UMS do you think a 65 would be?
Original post by KloppOClock
for part a you dont know if T is faster or slower than 25 seconds at that part so I don't think it matters, marks for graphs come from labelling the correct values and that the lines have the correct shape
Yes, you do. From common sense, the slower train will need to be travelling at its maximum speed for longer than the fast train if they both reach the same point Y at the same time. Alternatively, if you were unsure whether this was the case, you could have easily altered your diagram after working out T. If I had written the paper, I would have assigned 1 of the 4 marks for the sketch to T < 25s. But of course, I'm just speculating so it might not have mattered.

Original post by Mattsmith97
Also for 1B correct answer was :
p = (400+15t)i + (20t)j and q = (20t)i + (800-5t)j 3 marks
I put P=400i + t(15i +20j) and Q = 800j + t(20i-5j). I know they give you the exact same thing when you expand the brackets etc but do you think I would still be awarded marks for stating it in that form/any marks lost?
otherwise all good :smile:
Thanks!
I remember wondering this myself. The question asked for an equation "in terms of 't'", but I can't imagine them marking you down for a perfectly correct equation (these questions usually ask for an equation, as there's normally more than one valid form). I wrote down both forms of the equation just in case, but either should be fine.
Original post by amelienine
How many UMS do you think a 65 would be?

Depending on grade boundaries, but the average UMS for 65/75 for M1 is 88.
Original post by ShatnersBassoon
Yes, you do. From common sense, the slower train will need to be travelling at its maximum speed for longer than the fast train if they both reach the same point Y at the same time. Alternatively, if you were unsure whether this was the case, you could have easily altered your diagram after working out T. If I had written the paper, I would have assigned 1 of the 4 marks for the sketch to T < 25s. But of course, I'm just speculating so it might not have mattered.

I remember wondering this myself. The question asked for an equation "in terms of 't'", but I can't imagine them marking you down for a perfectly correct equation (these questions usually ask for an equation, as there's normally more than one valid form). I wrote down both forms of the equation just in case, but either should be fine.

i suppose your right in the sens that you sould know T<25. However, in past mark schemes when there have been similar questions, the marks have been assigned for labelling the correct values and each line having the correct shape and values assigned to it. So as long as the overall shape is right and the right values are assigned to the correct point I would think you would still get full marks.
For the particle hitting the wall question. For the impulse did you guys work out the acceleration afterwards, the resolved horizontally to get the force?

And for the non uniform rod question, what did you guys do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending