Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Aethrell)
    Ah ****, yeah. I see now.

I thought it meant getting an acid from the salt.

Completely disregarded the alcohol >.>
    I said heat under reflux so I'm in no position to judge!

ReputationRep:
    When I did the molecular formula question, I divided the 1.5...whatever it was by 2 and then divided all the numbers by that number to get the ratio for the molecular formula rather than obtaining the empirical formula and multiplying by 2. Full marks or would I end up losing a mark for this?

ReputationRep:
    The petition has made me feel much better but my chemistry grade is in serious jeopardy. I'm so worried i don't even think lowering thr grade boundaries will help me much. I'm scared I will get a U & it's even more frustrating because I panicked so much & ran out of time for questions which I would've otherwise been able to do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suits101)
    I don't see why not!

Adding HCl would turn the salt into a carboxylic acid and NaCl - it would then still be mixed with the alcohol.
    Did nobody else say fractional distillation? The alcohol has a different boiling point to the other compounds so it should be legit right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suits101)
    I said heat under reflux so I'm in no position to judge!
    For the reaction with NaOH, could you use an acid catalyst as the conditions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ELCRE)
    The petition has made me feel much better but my chemistry grade is in serious jeopardy. I'm so worried i don't even think lowering thr grade boundaries will help me much. I'm scared I will get a U & it's even more frustrating because I panicked so much & ran out of time for questions which I would've otherwise been able to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tbh, if they made a new paper in the old style with actual questions from the spec, I would be more than willing to do it!

ReputationRep:
    https://www.change.org/p/aqa-lower-g...aries-for-mpc3

Please sign

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster15)
    Tbh, if they made a new paper in the old style with actual questions from the spec, I would be more than willing to do it!
    Yes me too, I was stressing so much that I had a dream thry actually let me do it but woke up to this shite reality

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ELCRE)
    Yes me too, I was stressing so much that I had a dream thry actually let me do it but woke up to this shite reality

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's like aqa like screwing with our futures.....I needed a freaking A! -____-

ReputationRep:
    There's a petition to lower the grade boundaries on the AQA Chemistry 4 paper on "ipetitions". It's aiming to gather 15,000 signatures and can be found by either googling "lower grade boundaries for CHEMISTRY UNIT 4 2016" or going to the Facebook page "aqa chem4 complaints". It's at 4000+ currently and by getting friends and family to sign hopefully aqa will have to review.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninaleah1234)
    There's a petition to lower the grade boundaries on the AQA Chemistry 4 paper on "ipetitions". It's aiming to gather 15,000 signatures and can be found by either googling "lower grade boundaries for CHEMISTRY UNIT 4 2016" or going to the Facebook page "aqa chem4 complaints". It's at 4000+ currently and by getting friends and family to sign hopefully aqa will have to review.
    Here's the link to the Ipetitions

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/l...ry-unit-4-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ELCRE)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep same here, I'm resitting this exam so I was aiming to get a low A at best but now I'm most likely going to end up with a D again for CHEM4 and not get into uni - Thanks AQA

ReputationRep:
    4.5k signatures nearly, such madness

ReputationRep:
    Even if they do lower grade boundaries I still don't think I would've managed anything higher than a C, that exam was awful and my mind went totally blank and messed up on loads of questions, especially the synthesis questions, the 9 marker and the pH ones

ReputationRep:
    anyone put reversible sign for the very first question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravichauhan11)
    anyone put reversible sign for the very first question?
    I didn't for both first and second. They'll allow either way, as the question referred to a reaction between but it was technically reversible (as is every chemical reaction depending on the conditions).

ReputationRep:
    Hey does anyone have a full list of colour changes that we need to know?

Even tho aqa will probably ask us why surgical stitches are blue and not green 🙄

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadherin)
    I didn't for both first and second. They'll allow either way, as the question referred to a reaction between but it was technically reversible (as is every chemical reaction depending on the conditions).
    yeah i only put a reversible sign for the first equation and not the second

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have the paper?

(Original post by Jonnyss)
    For the reaction with NaOH, could you use an acid catalyst as the conditions?
    That's exactly right

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.