The Student Room Group

The Physics PHYA2 thread! 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sausage360
Why do you "need" full ums? What is it that you need it for?

I needful UMS because I worked soo hard for it. Did a lot of revision so I was expecting full ums.
Reply 1721
For the spring constant i got 1150N.m-1 so i put 1200N.m-1 because of 2 sig fig, would that be correct?
Original post by lebron_23
I can't remember them giving us the velocity of the aircraft, or am I just being stupid? I used Fscosθ\cos \theta to work out the work done and then figured out the power. I have no idea what I did on that question.. :rolleyes:

It didn't, but it gave you a distance and the time. So v=s/t. Which was 300/55 in this case I think. In all honesty, it is one of the few questions I am quite worried about losing marks on.
For 1b did you guys do arctan1/6 to get the direction of motion was 9.something degrees to the horizontal?
Reply 1724
Original post by nich01as
Btw, any thoughts on the 100% ums mark? The mean of previous years in 60, with 57 being the lowest, 69 being the highest, and 62 being the second highest. Any thoughts? Harder than normal, easier? Thanks.

Somewhere between 60-65 I think. There were some places to slip up but the people who really got the paper won't have dropped many. Thought the paper was pretty nice, not as nice as the Unit 1 of this period though. Beautiful first paper to have.

Original post by Bookaky
For the graph about the ball and the oil I think it is debatable. Surely the ball would continue to accelerate in the oil for only a short period of time and then level off for terminal velocity?

I did think this and really it depends on the thickness of the oil and stuff so it's not a nice question. But I think what they were looking for was for you to show a decrease in velocity when it hits and then it moving at a constant V. But you may well get marks for it because it wasn't a very well written question.

Original post by Steroidsman123
Yes the photon energy decreases, but light intensity is the number of photons arriving at a point per second. Remember the photoelectric effect? Increasing the intensity increases the number of photon emitted per second as more photons are arriving per second. The energy of the photon just dictates the kinetic energy of the photos. Thus, the same number of photons of red and blue light arrive per second regardless of their energies. Thus the intensities are equal regardless.

Difficult question because the red light does diffract more and so it covers a greater area which is why I put it as having a lower intensity. But I'm not sure.
Original post by IWantSomeMushu
For 1b did you guys do arctan1/6 to get the direction of motion was 9.something degrees to the horizontal?

yes!
Reply 1726
Original post by StalkeR47
I needful UMS because I worked soo hard for it. Did a lot of revision so I was expecting full ums.

Same boat here. And I think I've lost up to 6 or 7 marks.
Guesses on how many ums I'll get?

Posted from the TSR iPad app

Yeah, that is exactly what I did, 9.2 degrees I think.
Reply 1728

I got 9.2 I think.
Original post by StalkeR47
Yeah. First question (mechanics) was a tricky question. In fact, most questions in this paper were tricky. So, what do you think you got in this paper (roughly)? :smile:

Maybe 49-53 marks, for finding the weight of the ball in question 2, i didn't realise that there was the formula on the data sheet, as I had like 2 minutes left I just made a number up for the volume then found the mass and the the weight my W=mg, how many marks would i get?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The 6-markers for both Unit 1 and 2 were easy this year. I wonder what AQA were thinking.
Not sure what everyone's talking about because that was the easiest paper I've ever done. Probs lost 1 mark and that's being harsh on myself. Only need a C for an A* anyway. Cambridge here I come!!!! Who's joining me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1732
The 6-markers for both Unit 1 and 2 were easy this year. I wonder what AQA were thinking.

I did all the past papers and I think they were both probably the easiest they've ever given. So I'd expect to see the grade boundaries go up at least 2 marks on each just because of that.
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Maybe 49-53 marks, for finding the weight of the ball in question 2, i didn't realise that there was the formula on the data sheet, as I had like 2 minutes left I just made a number up for the volume then found the mass and the the weight my W=mg, how many marks would i get?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you will get 2/4 marks. :smile:
Original post by february-girl
Not sure what everyone's talking about because that was the easiest paper I've ever done. Probs lost 1 mark and that's being harsh on myself. Only need a C for an A* anyway. Cambridge here I come!!!! Who's joining me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you're a resit student then? How did Cambridge feel about that because I'm thinking of applying but may need a couple of resits.
Original post by NedStark
Ahh FML, well that was a stupid mistake. Hoping they won't cap me at 2 marks or something for that.

It would be very harsh to cap you any marks at all for that!
So you're a resit student then? How did Cambridge feel about that because I'm thinking of applying but may need a couple of resits.

They don't mind resits if its only a unit or two and you improve :smile:

Yes I am indeed but only for the aim to get full marks. Yeah I'd recommend it, not exactly hard to get into if you think about it. Plus they've lowered the grade boundaries for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I am indeed but only for the aim to get full marks. Yeah I'd recommend it, not exactly hard to get into if you think about it. Plus they've lowered the grade boundaries for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you doing at Cambridge? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They get something like 15 applications per place, it is actually very hard to get into it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending