The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

I chose the stage directions for inspector calls did anyone one se do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JustaDreamer
I only wrote about five, but I wish I could've wrote more too! The only one thing I hate about English is the timing :angry: I liked the questions though, which one did you do? I did My Polish Teacher's Tie and Compass and Torch

I did MPTT and WTWD.
I wrote about the relationship between the children and mum, giving points for how she can be perceived as a positive role model and a negative one.

The worst thing happened to me though.. I wrote a paragraph on WTWD then I realised that it wasn't relevant to the question, and that I didn't have much to write before going off on a tangent. So I crossed out a huge paragraph (around 5/8 of the page) and had to start again :sigh:
Any tips for poetry revision, apart from just looking through annotations?

I really struggle to compare the poems. If the question was just analyse 2 poems, it'd be easy, but I don't know how to compare very well.
Original post by andersson
You're all welcome. :wink:

do you have any ideas on what poems might come up in the relationships cluster?
Reply 1724
Original post by moodavies106
I chose the stage directions for inspector calls did anyone one se do it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eric? I did it was okay but I spent too much time on it
Hi, i answered the question about Eric in inspector calls, and i foolishy claimed that the inspector was used by priestley as a symbol for the world war i backed it up by showing the change of sheila and eric due to the inspector which could symbolise the change of the british mentality??

is this is a valid intpretation???

thanks
Original post by ryanroks1
I only wrote a page and a bit for Of Mice and Men.. is that okay?

The student room predictions were right though! :smile:

I wrote about a page and three quarters...or maybe one for each part. They mark it on quality, not quantity, so it should be fine...WOO YEAH SUCH IS THE POWER OF US! :woo:
Reply 1727
Original post by Harveena123
do you have any ideas on what poems might come up in the relationships cluster?

Nope, sorry. I do conflict.

I really struggle to compare the poems. If the question was just analyse 2 poems, it'd be easy, but I don't know how to compare very well.

Hmmmmm, what I'm doing is going through each of the poems in my cluster and choosing which poem I'd compare each of them to if they came up in the exam. I'd write a few main points of comparison so that at least you have a gist of what to write about if a certain poem comes up and so you know which poems 'fit together' and which would be a 'no-no' due to a lack of similarities / differences.
Reply 1729
Dies I write like 3 pages for An Inspector Calls and 2 for TKAM :frown:
Reply 1730
Original post by BP_Tranquility
I'd give you a thumbs up but TSR says I should go and rate some other members :tongue:

Haha ;D that does tend to happen.
That exam went well for me :biggrin: Wrote 8 pages and had a lot to say!

Anyone predicting grade boundaries?
Reply 1732
brb burning english books:headfire:
Reply 1733
Original post by andersson
You're all welcome. :wink:

Haha, your practice questions was the question. Shame I scrolled over it yesterday, and didn't attempt to answer it.

You must be feeling good about yourself!
Original post by Elm Tree
I did MPTT and WTWD.
I wrote about the relationship between the children and mum, giving points for how she can be perceived as a positive role model and a negative one.

The worst thing happened to me though.. I wrote a paragraph on WTWD then I realised that it wasn't relevant to the question, and that I didn't have much to write before going off on a tangent. So I crossed out a huge paragraph (around 5/8 of the page) and had to start again :sigh:

...Oh no, did you manage to write the same amount again? :console: It's just that some people I know write really fast, whereas I'm an absolute snail.:facepalm:

I did this exam last year and got an A* - what I did was find common themes between several poems, so I'd know what I'd have to compare to whatever poem came up. I did the Moon on the Tides anthology, and my best poem to analyse was Medusa, so I planned to compare it if it was similar in any way :') luckily, Ozymandias came up! Basically, know what themes link the poems, and practice comparing and contrasting those poems. Write a few sentences analysing one, then state how the similar feel of (e.g.) anger is shown in the other poem. Good luck!
Reply 1736
Ideas about the Character & Voice Cluster on Thursday?
People you know for An Inspector Calls i did not use the quotation they gave us in the question is that bad? How many mark will I loose do you think? UGH IM WORRIED
Reply 1738
Onto Thursday now...

I've noticed that no poems have yet to repeat. Here are the ones that have come up for Character and Voice and Conflict. I am certain that it will not be these, as they still have plenty to choose from. If you want my advice, like I said revise Slim, I'd revise the other poems. Worst case scenario is that one of them will come up, but I still believe that to be very unlikely.

Original post by Ryan075
Ideas about the Character & Voice Cluster on Thursday?

Character and Voice

January 2013:

Singh Song
Horse Whisperer

June 2012:

Checking out me history
Ozymandias

January 2012:

The Clown Punk
The Hunchback in the Park

June 2011:

My Last Duchess
Medusa

Conflict:

January 2013:

At the Border, 1979
Next to course, god American I

June 2012:

Mametz Wood
Charge of the Light Brigade

January 2012:

Poppies
Futility

June 2011:

Bayonet Charge
Belfast Confetti

I am fairly certain that none of these poems will come up. AQA were quite predictable today. They didn't do no previous characters in OMAM, The Crucible or Inspector calls. I see Thursday being the same. I doubt any of the poems listed above in both clusters will come up.

If anyone wants me to email them the excel I have, PM me. Or if anyone wants me to create an excel for another cluster, ask away. :smile:

I cannot predict what poems will come up, all I will say is that I predict none of that already have come up will do so again.

Character and Voice I am certain will feature the following:

Brendon Gallagher (Its a tad easy for Higher, unliekly)
Give
Les Grands Seigneurs
The River God
The Ruined Maid
Casehistory: Alison
On a portrait of a death man.
(edited 10 years ago)
If anyone is interested, these are the poems which have come up in the last three exams for Conflict.

Mametz Wood - effects of war
Charge of Light Brigade - bravery

Poppies - strong feelings
Futlity - attitudes to war

Belfast Confetti - effects of conflict
Bayonet Charge - experience of soldiers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending