Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)
    And never won the CL.. But Heynckes, fergie, guardiola and mourinho have.. And the fact that he's been in the game for a long time is even worse... I don't think he will ever win it
    So has roberto di matteo. Heynckes is starting to get overrated now he's done a very good job but he's not had a period of sustained success partially down to his journeyman career but he's done very well in the CL, 3 years with a CL team in the new CL format and 3 finals. Seems to be his forte.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)
    And never won the CL.. But Heynckes, fergie, guardiola and mourinho have.. And the fact that he's been in the game for a long time is even worse... I don't think he will ever win it
    Oh the fickle :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I dont really think you can compare managers how you are trying to its just a pissing contest but as I have said many times the narrative that 'Wenger has kept us in the top 4 for 15 years' doesn't tell the full story at all and while the fact hes done a good job and guided the club through a difficult time is undisputable I think you are burying your head in the sand if you think he has done some miraculous unbelievable job the last few years because really he has been achieving the bare minimum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Vader 7)
    So you think Wenger isn't as good as Mourinho, Heynckes and Guardiola. Why? If he had those squads and that type of money, you don't think he would've won similar honours?

I've spoken to various fans from all different clubs in the country as well as in Europe and the general consensus is that Wenger is one of the best managers in the world.

Very odd for you to think otherwise and I'd be interested to know of a manager that could've kept Arsenal in the top 4 for the last 8 years (as we transitioned from Highbury to the Emirates) whilst making a profit in the transfer window.

Why were Bayern interested in him twice? What about Madrid? What about Barca? What about PSG?

I'm sorry but those clubs wouldn't be after him unless he was one of the best managers in the world.
    +1

People who judge managers on trophies alone are ignorant. Wenger's sacrificed his own personal glory for Arsenal in a way that differentiates him from almost all managers. I genuinely believe that no one could have kept this club in the CL on his budget whilst building the foundations for future success, certainly not Mourinho. No doubt he'd have won the CL by now(and he was robbed in 2006 by a moment of madness from Lehmann) had he not had to plow his entire budget into the Emirates.
    His player development is unreal as well, best in the business imo.

(Original post by alexsong)
    I dont really think you can compare managers how you are trying to its just a pissing contest but as I have said many times the narrative that 'Wenger has kept us in the top 4 for 15 years' doesn't tell the full story at all and while the fact hes done a good job and guided the club through a difficult time is undisputable I think you are burying your head in the sand if you think he has done some miraculous unbelievable job the last few years because really he has been achieving the bare minimum
    When you think about the money he's (not) spent, his performance is very tidy. People praise Moyes to the rafters and he hasnt ever got Everton into the CL, whilst spending more than Wenger. Losing players like Fabregas, Henry, Toure, Vieira, Cole, Adebayor, RVP, Nasri, Song every single year and just getting his head down and carrying on regardless whilst we work through financial constraints is something worthy of serious praise.

But in fairness that era is now over as far as i'm concerned and Wenger needs to start putting silverware back on the menu again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    +1

People who judge managers on trophies alone are ignorant. Wenger's sacrificed his own personal glory for Arsenal in a way that differentiates him from almost all managers. I genuinely believe that no one could have kept this club in the CL on his budget whilst building the foundations for future success, certainly not Mourinho. No doubt he'd have won the CL by now(and he was robbed in 2006 by a moment of madness from Lehmann) had he not had to plow his entire budget into the Emirates.
    His player development is unreal as well, best in the business imo.

When you think about the money he's (not) spent, his performance is very tidy. People praise Moyes to the rafters and he hasnt ever got Everton into the CL, whilst spending more than Wenger. Losing players like Fabregas, RVP, Nasri, Song every single year and just getting his head down and carrying on regardless whilst we work through financial constraints is something worthy of praise.

But in fairness that era is now over as far as i'm concerned and Wenger needs to start putting silverware back on the menu again
    Losing players like Nasri was down to his mismanagement of the wage budget as much as anything though, everyone goes on about the financial constraints but our wage budget is through the roof and out of control also I don't think its as cut and dry as he has never been able to spend I think he has chosen not to at times and it has cost us dear

You could also argue about how he has failed to fully motivate and instil a winning mentality in the players i.e. tail end of 2010-11 the wheels fall off horrifically which he has to take some blame for but we are still in with a shot at the title in April and end up ****ting the bed against Blackburn at home with a performance bad enough to make anyones stomach turn before slumping to a 4th place finish and a CL qualifier that if you wanna believe the PR means we can't spend properly which leads to an unspeakable and truly unforgivable drubbing at Old Trafford.

This season and last we have often looked unmotivated playing slow sideways **** half the time and let ourselves down with repeated defensive errors again and again until just lately which he has to take some of the blame for too

Overall no doubt he has done well but talking last 2-3 years I think he has lost his way a bit and the club has suffered for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    The bare minimum on the bare minimum. And let's not forget the 'bare minimum' standard you speak of was set by him - before Wenger we used to finish mid-table some years. Success is not only defined by trophies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tony Pulis will be the 2nd longest serving manager in the PL next season with his appointment in 2006 eugh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhw)
    Tony Pulis will be the 2nd longest serving manager in the PL next season with his appointment in 2006 eugh
    Haha but you have to give him credit - he's certainly made Stoke a decent team but I think he's taken them as far as he can. The risk is a new manager might not continue his stability even if the football is a lot better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by rhw)
    Regarding which, I thought this blog piece by Barney Ronay in the Guardian was a pretty fun read. :cute:

(On Wenger) Once a deeply futuristic creature, cast by the English media on his arrival as a kind of time travelling space-polymath, striding from his capsule bearing armfuls of spaghetti
    :rofl: Do we have anyone with the Photoshop skills to conjure this up? :adore:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Well we will try our best to do you guys a favour today

ReputationRep:
    Apparently we're in for Ashley Williams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    That's been going around for a while

Don't think we need him - it would be better to get a younger cb like n'koulou, sakho, matip

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    I really hope Benteke scores a 90th minute screamer to win the match today for Petrov. Such a shame he had to retire.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Darth Vader 7)
    I really hope Benteke scores a 90th minute screamer to win the match today for Petrov. Such a shame he had to retire.
    I'll love it if this happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    It will be a kick in the teeth if Remy scores the winner
    (Original post by Kruz)
    that is pure paper talk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    It will be a kick in the teeth if Remy scores the winner

that is pure paper talk
    Remy??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Benteke is a ****ing beast. Drogba II

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamiesonn)
    Remy??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    sorry thinking of QPR v Newcastle

ReputationRep:
    if chelsea lose we will finish 3rd lads I call it

fantasy football, but imagine a front two of benteke and jovetic next year!! benteke will go on to great things, mark my words, has all the attributes of a top striker.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.