The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1720
Original post by revelry26
You mean G100? I think a few people have

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yer, so what else have u applied for apart from Oxford and imperial?
Original post by 123456789///
Queens is killing me. I am reli worried...:frown:

Yeah man I literally can't wait any longer :frown:((( no one has heard from it so far for maths right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haydenkwangl
Yeah man I literally can't wait any longer :frown:((( no one has heard from it so far for maths right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is no need to be worried- all replies from a college come at exactly the same time- be it offer or rejection. The late reply implies nothing.
Original post by kapur
Congratulations! Did you mention that you would be giving the STEP exam next year in your ucas app?

No I did not put on my UCAS that I would be doing STEP. I wasn't planning on taking it to be honest.

Original post by CD315
Wow, well done. How did your MAT go?

My MAT went ok. I came out of the exam thinking I could get 65 but after seeing the answers people on TSR put down probably 57-61.
(edited 10 years ago)
Does anyone happen to know when Worcester are planning to reply? Cheers :smile:
Reply 1725
Original post by SherlockHolmes

No I did not put on my UCAS that I would be doing STEP. I wasn't planning on taking it to be honest.

My MAT went ok. I came out of the exam thinking I could get 65 but after seeing the answers people on TSR put down probably 57-61.

I'm guessing I got about 50. Hopefully I get a STEP offer.
Reply 1726
Maths and Philosophy, I'm guessing they'll send all the maths offers at the same time though- hopefully anyway! :s
I sense a lot of tension here regarding interviews: are the interviews pretty hard provided you get one? How are they compared to MAT? On another note any Merton applicants here, or even better for straight maths? :smile:
Original post by NewtonsApple
I sense a lot of tension here regarding interviews: are the interviews pretty hard provided you get one? How are they compared to MAT? On another note any Merton applicants here, or even better for straight maths? :smile:

I think it depends on your college and your own situation.

I know last year someone applied to Merton and got 100 on the MAT(well at least he claimed he got 100). So the tutor gave him extremely hard questions and it turned out that he didn't manage to solve those problems and was rejected by Merton.
Original post by souktik
The average surely includes those who applied to both Oxford and Imperial, right? The scores of only those MAT candidates who have applied to Imperial but not to Oxford would have been left out (because Oxford wouldn't even get those answer-sheets).

45 was about the average for people who applied to Oxford. This includes people who applied to Oxford and Imperial. We aren't allowed to know where else a student applied to, so we couldn't remove them from the figures even if we wanted to. (Which we don't.) We don't see the papers for students applying to Imperial not Oxford, so they aren't in the figures.

It's worth remembering however, that just because the average mark this year was about 45 it doesn't mean that everyone who scored 45 and over is interviewed. The average, and the rough line in the sand that we draw aren't necessarily the same.

For CompSci (and joint degrees) we'll be interviewing under half of all applicants this year.
Reply 1730
Original post by hilbert_spaces

I know last year someone applied to Merton and got 100 on the MAT(well at least he claimed he got 100). So the tutor gave him extremely hard questions and it turned out that he didn't manage to solve those problems and was rejected by Merton.

That's utter rubbish. Firstly, your MAT will not reflect what questions you get in the interview, how you perform with the 'basic' questions determines the rest of the interview. This is so that when they look at your MAT score and your interview score (out of 9) they're completely independent of one another. Secondly, Oxford hasn't rejected anyone with a 90+ score in the last ~5 years, apparently :lol:
Original post by hilbert_spaces

*Raises eyebrows very skeptically*

As a general point it's worth remembering you don't have to actually solve the problems you're given in the interview to get a place. It's much more about seeing how students react to new ideas. Or using ideas learnt at A Level (etc) in a new way. If a student gets an answer right straight away they tend to be given a different question. The interviews are about us finding out how people think.... not perfect answers.
Reply 1732
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
45 was about the average for people who applied to Oxford. This includes people who applied to Oxford and Imperial. We aren't allowed to know where else a student applied to, so we couldn't remove them from the figures even if we wanted to. (Which we don't.) We don't see the papers for students applying to Imperial not Oxford, so they aren't in the figures.

Yes, I understand. I wasn't suggesting that the average is 45 for those who applied to Oxford but not Imperial- calculating something like that wouldn't make sense even if it had been possible. What I was trying to say in that post is that 45 is the average of Oxford applicants, and therefore it's not affected by the performance of those who applied to Imperial but not Oxford, and therefore the low average cannot be attributed to Imperial's usage of MAT scores. I'm not exactly articulate. :redface:
Reply 1733
Original post by Noble.
That's utter rubbish. Firstly, your MAT will not reflect what questions you get in the interview, how you perform with the 'basic' questions determines the rest of the interview. This is so that when they look at your MAT score and your interview score (out of 9) they're completely independent of one another. Secondly, Oxford hasn't rejected anyone with a 90+ score in the last ~5 years, apparently :lol:

When were you told that you got the highest MAT score in your year? Did you ask? :lol:
Reply 1734
Original post by souktik
When were you told that you got the highest MAT score in your year? Did you ask? :lol:

Pretty much, after a comment by the tutor at my second college interview. I don't actually know, for sure, it was the highest mark, unless someone got 97+ on the 2010 MAT. I mostly made that comment on the applicants' thread in response to what that ZafarS guy said, so don't hold me to it. :tongue:
Reply 1735
Original post by Noble.
Pretty much, after a comment by the tutor at my second college interview. I don't actually know, for sure, it was the highest mark, unless someone got 97+ on the 2010 MAT. I mostly made that comment on the applicants' thread in response to what that ZafarS guy said, so don't hold me to it. :tongue:

It was understandable, lol. And that was one weird conversation. :tongue:
Reply 1736
Original post by souktik
It was understandable, lol. And that was one weird conversation. :tongue:

I know. He spent the better half of the evening taking the piss out of other people, yet wasn't too fond of it when I did it back to him. I also found it funny that he got 2 warning points for saying what he did to me (which was, categorically, out of order) and I got the same punishment (2 points) for calling him a turdburger... :lol: Got to love whatever mod thought they deserved equal punishment.
Reply 1737
Original post by Noble.
I know. He spent the better half of the evening taking the piss out of other people, yet wasn't too fond of it when I did it back to him. I also found it funny that he got 2 warning points for saying what he did to me (which was, categorically, out of order) and I got the same punishment (2 points) for calling him a turdburger... :lol: Got to love whatever mod thought they deserved equal punishment.

How do mods even keep up with threads that grow as fast as the applicants one? Or do they only look at reported content?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1738
Original post by souktik
How do mods even keep up with threads like that grow as fast as the applicants one? Or do they only look at reported content?

I would imagine plenty of people reported his post, then the mod looked through the conversation. However, up until his last post everything was pretty much being said in a joking fashion, it clearly was annoying Zafar quite considerably though :lol:

Not the brightest bulb in the pack to go around dishing out insults if he can't take them back without having a mental breakdown.
Reply 1739
Original post by Noble.
I would imagine plenty of people reported his post, then the mod looked through the conversation. However, up until his last post everything was pretty much being said in a joking fashion, it clearly was annoying Zafar quite considerably though :lol:

Not the brightest bulb in the pack to go around dishing out insults if he can't take them back without having a mental breakdown.

You two managed to divert attention from the interviews and rejections for a while, though. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending