Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, i'm hoping to apply for Computer science and Mathematics at oxford.

GCSE: 8A*'s and 5A's

AS Levels: 4A's in Biology, chemistry, maths and accounting
    I will be predicted A*A*A next year - Do you think i would be a competitive applicant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kathan30)

I will be predicted A*A*A next year - Do you think i would be a competitive applicant.
    Take a look at, and submit your info to the stalking page, see OP#1

ReputationRep:
    I really wanted to apply here for medicine but gcses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kathan30)

Your grades are typical of those for successful applicants. However, the MAT and interviews are most important. Good luck!

Gavin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Do make sure if you are taking up this person's offer that you ONLY email it to them if they provide you with an Oxford Uni email address, so that you're sure it's not some fellow applicant about to nick your statement :eek:
    Good advice, cheers!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aprocrastinator)
    Hey guys, I'm asking on behalf of my brother who wants to do Economics and is thinking about Oxbridge. I am familiar with Cambridge application process but not with Oxford's. He got his GCSE results today which were 12A*s and 2As (he's remarking the 2As ) and I was wondering if these results would be good enough for Economics?
    Oxford doesn't have an Economics course, so he'll struggle to get an offer for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KristaWinchester)
    Sorry for the typical '''are my grades''' but...
    Got GCSEs today, 4A*s, 3As and 4Bs but I'm looking at getting 2 As remarked as I was a few marks off of A*s.
    So at worst my grades are above, at best 6A*s, 1A and 4Bs. I would like to do Psychology and I am planning to smash my A levels, plus get relevant Work Experience with a local clinical and business psychologist.
    So... are my grades good enough?
    They're probably not going to be something that stops you getting an offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katsanders2107)
    I would like to apply for biomedicine at Oxford but I got 4A*s, 5As and 2Bs at GCSE then 5 As including an EPQ at AS levels, I know I flunked GCSEs but is it still worth taking the BMAT and applying to Oxford or do I have no chance?
    Your grades are quite a lot lower than most I'm afraid:
    http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/bms...ons-statistics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    They're probably not going to be something that stops you getting an offer
    Huge weight off my chest- thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am looking to apply for Maths.

GCSEs: 8A*s 3As (Best in the school)
    AS Levels: Maths A (98.6%), Further Maths A (91%), Chemistry A (86%), Biology B (79% - awaiting remark)

My only concern is that I am extremely nervous about being able to do well enough in the MAT, and I know this is a vital component of the application process. Does anyone have any advice on how to start preparing for the MAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GingerGnu)
    Hi,

I am looking to apply for Maths.

GCSEs: 8A*s 3As (Best in the school)
    AS Levels: Maths A (98.6%), Further Maths A (91%), Chemistry A (86%), Biology B (79% - awaiting remark)

My only concern is that I am extremely nervous about being able to do well enough in the MAT, and I know this is a vital component of the application process. Does anyone have any advice on how to start preparing for the MAT?
    How did you do in GCSEs? And take a look at the MAT thread for this year under the Maths Exams forums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eux)
    How did you do in GCSEs? And take a look at the MAT thread for this year under the Maths Exams forums.
    My GCSEs are 8A*s and 3As - thank you

ReputationRep:
    My GCSEs are 8A*s and 3As - thank you
    Also if you go to the OP on this thread theres a link to the stalking page, you can enter in your own details and view other applicants stats.

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of applying for Law.

GCSEs were not that good.
    A*, 6 As, 2 Bs and a C

AS level - 4 as (history, politics, religious studies & philosophy, English Language)
    A2 - 4A*s (including EPQ) and an A in English Language.
    3 exams = full UMS.

Didn't do great at LNAT but it has to be redone for this academic cycle anyway. Hate the LNAT!

ReputationRep:
    Your results are obviously good, which means you may well be good at the MAT My advice would be simply to go through the past papers: in exam conditions where possible (maybe not necessary at the start) and then make good use of the model answers to make sure you understand everything.

And remember that if you don't do all that well in the MAT (remember that doing well in the MAT does not mean getting 100%, or even 80%), it probably means Oxford's style of exams wouldn't be the best fit for you, and another university might be more appropriate Oxford doesn't have a rigorous application process just for its own sake, it's trying to find the students that would benefit! So give it a go, and see how you do

ReputationRep:
    Im hoping to apply for physics
    My IGCSEs: 5A* 3A 1B (Add math too much noise) 1C (I really was expecting an A* just had a bad day)
    Do you still think I Stand a chance? I know its not only based on that but...I´m afraid I wouldn´t be a very competitve applicant with those grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imsomeone)
    Im hoping to apply for physics
    My IGCSEs: 5A* 3A 1B (Add math too much noise) 1C (I really was expecting an A* just had a bad day)
    Do you still think I Stand a chance? I know its not only based on that but...I´m afraid I wouldn´t be a very competitve applicant with those grades
    GCSE grades aren't a very big factor in getting an offer. If Maths isn't your strength, maybe Oxford physics isn't for you. But if you love physics and can do well on the PAT (which has plenty of maths in) you'll be absolutely fine.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE grades aren't a very big factor in getting an offer. If Maths isn't your strength, maybe Oxford physics isn't for you. But if you love physics and can do well on the PAT (which has plenty of maths in) you'll be absolutely fine.
    I am good at maths, My B in additional maths was the best grade by far and its the first year my school offers this, I have represented my school in math olympics, and my math teachers have told me I am very good as do my physics ones
    Thank you for your answer

ReputationRep:
    Your results are obviously good, which means you may well be good at the MAT My advice would be simply to go through the past papers: in exam conditions where possible (maybe not necessary at the start) and then make good use of the model answers to make sure you understand everything.

And remember that if you don't do all that well in the MAT (remember that doing well in the MAT does not mean getting 100%, or even 80%), it probably means Oxford's style of exams wouldn't be the best fit for you, and another university might be more appropriate Oxford doesn't have a rigorous application process just for its own sake, it's trying to find the students that would benefit! So give it a go, and see how you do
    That was really helpful - thanks! I think the annoying thing is that A-Level maths isn't too difficult as the questions are usually always in a similar style year on year, so applying the knowledge in unusual situations will be the biggest hurdle. But I shall persevere and try my very best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aprocrastinator)
    Hey guys, I'm asking on behalf of my brother who wants to do Economics and is thinking about Oxbridge. I am familiar with Cambridge application process but not with Oxford's. He got his GCSE results today which were 12A*s and 2As (he's remarking the 2As ) and I was wondering if these results would be good enough for Economics?
    Do you mind if I ask in which subjects he missed the A*s?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.