Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    Us? You're a united fan? Please don't say you're pretending to be another team's fan again!
    I wondered this. :holmes: You're welcome to him though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    I wondered this. :holmes: You're welcome to him though!
    He's only welcome in one place tbh. That's my ever increasing ignore list

ReputationRep:
    He's only welcome in one place tbh. That's my ever increasing ignore list
    ruthless
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This time next year Sterling will be our number 7 I hope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrawlx101)
    Balotelli,Sturridge,Borini,Lambe rt is a good strikeforce and necessary atm for us,considering that CL fatigue may kick in?
    definitely - i'm glad we didn't sell borini in the end.
    if we do well with injuries, we probably won't need him, although it's nice to know that we have ample back up if one of our main attackers gets injured.

Us? You're a united fan? Please don't say you're pretending to be another team's fan again!
    with all due respect, it has literally nothing to do with you who he chooses to support?
    personally i would never abandon liverpool and move my support to a different club, but there is nothing to say that i couldn't do that.

you can moan and groan all you like, but his choice to support whichever club he prefers at any given time is his own right.

(Original post by Mackay)
    This time next year Sterling will be our number 7 I hope.
    sterling's development is incredible.
    still a teenager yet he is consistently picking up MOTM awards left right and centre nowadays.

i didn't see the england game since i was working but i read a few reports that mentioned him to be one of our best players.

i'm a year older than him, yet he's one of the brightest players for his national football team.
    quite depressing when you put it in perspective...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Lúcio)

sterling's development is incredible.
    still a teenager yet he is consistently picking up MOTM awards left right and centre nowadays.

i didn't see the england game since i was working but i read a few reports that mentioned him to be one of our best players.

i'm a year older than him, yet he's one of the brightest players for his national football team.
    quite depressing when you put it in perspective...
    He was England's only exciting player.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Didn't watch the France-Spain match but apparently Sakho got MOTM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    I didn't watch it either (wanted to but was busy ffs) but yeah, I heard he was 10/10.

Costa came on and Sakho had him in his pocket too.

He's so, so, SO good at international level. We NEED to get that form into him at Liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strange Fruittt)

He's so, so, SO good at international level. We NEED to get that form into him at Liverpool.
    I was saying this to my brother the other day. Not sure I understand why tbh, maybe it has something to do with how Rodgers plays? Sakho never looks comfortable in possession. But equally I don't see how that affects his defensive game.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endless Blue)
    I was saying this to my brother the other day. Not sure I understand why tbh, maybe it has something to do with how Rodgers plays? Sakho never looks comfortable in possession. But equally I don't see how that affects his defensive game.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think his passing is poor at all. To the contrary he's a great passer. Occasionally he makes a poor decision on the ball, the pass to Allen against Spurs was atrocious and Joe did very well to tactically foul Lamela, but apart from the occasional poor decision, Sakho is great on the ball.

I haven't got the answer as to why he's different for us but it comes down to partner, coach and playing style. I don't think playing style is an issue seeing as Sakho clearly has the raw ability to fit into any style of play, so it's got to be coach or partner. Skrtel quite frankly is a **** partner and Brendan isn't the best coach defensively either tbh with you.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think his passing is poor at all. To the contrary he's a great passer. Occasionally he makes a poor decision on the ball, the pass to Allen against Spurs was atrocious and Joe did very well to tactically foul Lamela, but apart from the occasional poor decision, Sakho is great on the ball.

I haven't got the answer as to why he's different for us but it comes down to partner, coach and playing style. I don't think playing style is an issue seeing as Sakho clearly has the raw ability to fit into any style of play, so it's got to be coach or partner. Skrtel quite frankly is a **** partner and Brendan isn't the best coach defensively either tbh with you.
    I'm not saying he is a poor passer, but he never looks comfortable in possession, as I said. Went to Norwich Away last year and every time he was on the ball I was ****ting myself, similar to every corner they had (with Mignolet).

He just seems to perform better for France tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endless Blue)
    I'm not saying he is a poor passer, but he never looks comfortable in possession, as I said. Went to Norwich Away last year and every time he was on the ball I was ****ting myself, similar to every corner they had (with Mignolet).

He just seems to perform better for France tbh.
    i agree with both here.

sakho is a really weird player - i know he has quality (he shows it clearly for france) so i always want to give him a proper chance to prove it, but as endless says he just seems to look so indicisive and uncomfortable with the ball.

the issue here is that we really can't risk having a centre back like that in our team simply because this season is the most important in recent years from a competitive view - we must make top 4, we can't let silly defensive errors cost us points this season.

i know sakho will improve for liverpool; he's definitely the kind of defender i like, big strong powerhouse who will win almost every aerial battle but doesn't sacrifice much pace (unlike mertesacker)
    maybe it's his partner?
    maybe him and varane are just the perfect combination but he just doesn't have that at liverpool?

ReputationRep:
    People are being deceived by how clumsy Sakho looks. Actually, he had one of the best pass percentages in the league last season iirc, and they weren't just the simple ones to Gerrard/Skrtel, he was finding attacking players well up the pitch a lot of the time. He's very good at picking out players, it just always looks like he's going to fall over when he does though.

I think Sakho's problem defensively is communication. I'm sure he can speak English enough by now but it's not as simple as that. The communication needs to be simultaneous, if the player needs time to work out what has been said to him then it all falls apart. Similarly, he needs to be able to say things instantly; if it takes him a moment to work out how to say it then it's too late.

Lovren was supposedly earmarked because of being able to speak French (Mignolet also speaks French). The thing is though, it's a big ask if he's shouting at everyone in English, everyone is shouting at him in English, and then suddenly he hears somebody speaking in French over his shoulders. It would surely take his mind a second to adjust to what's being said. With time, they can become more accustomed to it, but it's going to take time to develop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    People are being deceived by how clumsy Sakho looks. Actually, he had one of the best pass percentages in the league last season iirc, and they weren't just the simple ones to Gerrard/Skrtel, he was finding attacking players well up the pitch a lot of the time. He's very good at picking out players, it just always looks like he's going to fall over when he does though.

I think Sakho's problem defensively is communication. I'm sure he can speak English enough by now but it's not as simple as that. The communication needs to be simultaneous, if the player needs time to work out what has been said to him then it all falls apart. Similarly, he needs to be able to say things instantly; if it takes him a moment to work out how to say it then it's too late.

Lovren was supposedly earmarked because of being able to speak French (Mignolet also speaks French). The thing is though, it's a big ask if he's shouting at everyone in English, everyone is shouting at him in English, and then suddenly he hears somebody speaking in French over his shoulders. It would surely take his mind a second to adjust to what's being said. With time, they can become more accustomed to it, but it's going to take time to develop.
    This is a very, very interesting point. I think we forget that not all of our players speak the same language as we simply expect them to know English. This could account for the lack of communication with the Sakho/Lovren partnership.

I'd rep you for making such a good point, but I've repped you too recently .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    Lovren was supposedly earmarked because of being able to speak French (Mignolet also speaks French).
    Cleared to be a myth, Lovren said in one of his first interviews after joining that he doesn't like speaking French because it's 'difficult'. And his English is excellent afair.

I know I advocated the 'french speaker' line too, but when you think about it, it is pretty much bull****. Migs' English is good and Sakho's is decent enough, plus we have three Spanish fullbacks and two English ones at the club, as well as a near Scouse Slovakian. Not a ****ing chance it's going to be French for the CB-GK triangle and then English for everyone else.

Lovren was bought because he's a good defender in his own right, and an outright leader. The club would know by now to not buy players just to suit others anyway, look at Downing being bought for Carroll.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by mr tim)
    He's got a habit of performing brilliantly for his country. Fair play to him.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Daniel Sturridge felt an injury in training this morning and will go for a scan this afternoon. He will then be assessed by England medics
    https://twitter.com/england/status/507872988642152448

I guess it's a good thing that Borini is still here. Would have been left with Balotelli and Lambert as our senior strikers.

ReputationRep:
    Suarez scores 2 in Barca friendly, Sturridge Injured and Balotelli Kicks a Wolves player in the friendly which hes get subbed off. Great morning :/

ReputationRep:
    Hahahahahahah peace has returned. das it balo
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Balotelli rumours are just twitter rumours. It's false apparently.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.