Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest)
    he's right tbf, think you should make a poll and see what you get.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3382111

ReputationRep:
    Suarez caught selling kebabs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Dybala gone to Juve
    who's to say every star of Serie A will cut it in the Premier League? *cough* Lamela *cough*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    That Metro page is hilarious, every article on there is such blatant clickbait.
    you seen the one by the Guardian trying to stir up the Sterling saga with the links to united? :rolleyes:
    as if we'd ever sell to you...

re Milner, i agree with jam - he's a solid and versatile player, but wouldn't have improved your starting XI and his wages are too big to justify being sat on your bench.
    he's a very good signing for us because we can use him well and with Gerrard/Johnson leaving, the wages aren't a massive issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    who's to say every star of Serie A will cut it in the Premier League? *cough* Lamela *cough*
    True, Serie A does seem to bring out the best in players, such as Salah, but I still think he would be a good investment.

ReputationRep:
    Sanchez was a Seria A star. Just sayin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rk2k14)
    Sanchez was a Seria A star. Just sayin
    But he went out and did it in La liga and the world cup too

ReputationRep:
    Good news wrt Ramsey and our right wing then. Wenger's said it was only temporary so Ramsey should return back to B2B, but we're literally STACKED in midfield you could almost make 2 from different players. We're absolutely fine depth wise for once, so really we only need 2 or 3 signings to add that final touch. Have said that I wanted a winger to come in but with Ox/Walcott back and Wilshere/Welbeck also potentially working on the right, I think we'd be better off without one and just straight out go for a striker. If you remember the start of 2013/2014 season, Giroud had a pretty good start for the first half of the season, but he fell off quite badly due to burnout. The same things happened this season, because after a great return from injury, we haven't really had anyone to rotate him with.

I'm wary about our approach to this window though. The best thing we can do is go out and get our players early, and give them a good pre season, but seems like Wenger would rather sit back and see who's available.

It's been reported that Chelsea will let Cech go to a rival, and we should be all over that. But I know Wenger has too much faith in Ospina/Schezny so UTD will probably take him instead. Shame because he'd of been our signing of the summer really.

ReputationRep:
    Thing with Giroud and Wenger is that they'll be either sh*te/inconsistent then when the criticism starts rolling in, turn up and perform/win something. Therefore popular opinion switches and fans seem to think that they can do well/lead a team and win competitions/the league the next season so they dont need to go out and buy a worldclass striker-when, over the course of the season, it couldn't really be further from the truth.

ReputationRep:
    Giroud gets way too much protection from fans, under the guise of "burnout". Only last season did he play a high number of minutes, but 13' he wasn't coming off the back of a international competition so even then it wasn't an unusually high number of minutes over a full season. The season before he moved to Arsenal he played over 3200 mins without burning out.

He need to be rotated, because he's not that good. Outside of his hot streaks he isn't good enough with scoring and he he can't score at that rate for an entire season. Its form not physical fatigue.

ReputationRep:
    I think a WC striker + a DM would help. In reality I think your form from jan onwards is enough to challenge Chelsea for the title, the way you have been playing with a non injury hit squad means that you have the ability to really challenge us. I think you were playing at a level better than last season in fact. What will tip a title race would be signings(Chelsea need squad depth and Arsenal need a ST + DM) and head to head. Really we take 4-6 points off of Arsenal nearly every season. Reduce that to 3 points or 2 points and you'll even the cushion we have head to head.

I think Chelsea will still win the league next season, but that's dependent on whether Chelsea get the key Central Midfielder/Wide AM that's required. City's FFP rules being lax mean that they will have money to spend on players, but Yaya is key to them being anywhere close and in all honesty his lack of defensive awareness means that City have to change formation. Milner would have been important for this as he could cover Yaya but they need a player who's combative and has decent ball playing ability. Fernandinho does that but he's meant to be deep and their option for a DM to allow Fernandinho further up frankly is terrible(Fernando). That also assumes that Yaya Toure's offensive ability will be as good as previous seasons gone by, plus it means no space for Bony in the side if they want a system that suits Toure/Silva/Nasri/Aguero so Pellegrini will probably stick with 4-4-2.

United I can see Depay being a real hit. Again though no real cohesion in the team, although signs of it were showing the final stretch of the season. They frankly have too many players to fit into the team so I think there will be inconsistencies in their play, even though they most likely would have a team capable of challenging the title.

ReputationRep:
    Agree wholeheartedly with Fizzel. He doesn't cover that much grass, he's in his peak essentially and he doesn't play in a system which requires a high intensity press, e.g you could argue Gundogan at Dortmund could suffer from burnout due to his role. It's now the norm to lead the line week in week out and many clubs are dependant on a sole striker, it's not an excuse sufficient for Benzema, Rooney, Mandzukic etc. so I don't see why it's paraded as valid for Giroud.

ReputationRep:
    Also, wrt strikers. If you're getting a player to rotate with Giroud (assuming Giroud is the main striker) then really there is a problem. The obvious problem with Giroud is his lack of pace, his hold up play isn't exceptional although he's got good link up. He doesn't have the best finishing ability and well his main strength(aerial ability) is not being used as effectively so he's generally just scoring near post tap ins.

Really you could do with a player who has that ability to stretch defences, pull out wide(so e.g. Walcott can move to the ST position) and have more mobility. Giroud is a top 4 level striker, but he's not a title winning striker as he cannot maintain that level of goalscoring performance the whole season and he doesn't offer enough as a general player. I'd personally just go for Higuain and you'll see a massive difference in your performances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)

Really you could do with a player who has that ability to stretch defences, pull out wide(so e.g. Walcott can move to the ST position) and have more mobility. Giroud is a top 4 level striker, but he's not a title winning striker as he cannot maintain that level of goalscoring performance the whole season and he doesn't offer enough as a general player. I'd personally just go for Higuain and you'll see a massive difference in your performances.
    Amazing how awesome Arsenal look with Walcott up too tbf, scares the **** out of me that if they got an upgrade on him how good they'd be. Don't get why they insist on having a man with his back to goal play up top and link play when they've got Özil, Cazorla and Rosicky all capable of playing balls in behind and creating chances. Still think Hernandez would get 20 league goals for you lot really tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    Giroud gets way too much protection from fans, under the guise of "burnout". Only last season did he play a high number of minutes, but 13' he wasn't coming off the back of a international competition so even then it wasn't an unusually high number of minutes over a full season. The season before he moved to Arsenal he played over 3200 mins without burning out.

He need to be rotated, because he's not that good. Outside of his hot streaks he isn't good enough with scoring and he he can't score at that rate for an entire season. Its form not physical fatigue.
    Arsenal fans have a tendency to overrate their players.

(Original post by jam277)
    Also, wrt strikers. If you're getting a player to rotate with Giroud (assuming Giroud is the main striker) then really there is a problem. The obvious problem with Giroud is his lack of pace, his hold up play isn't exceptional although he's got good link up. He doesn't have the best finishing ability and well his main strength(aerial ability) is not being used as effectively so he's generally just scoring near post tap ins.

Would Mario Mandzukich make much difference? He seems like he'd suit the premier league as he's physical and he's also got some pace on him too, well more than Giroud.

ReputationRep:
    Too often people measure a Giroud's quality through his scoring rate. His hold up and link up play as a target man has been just as important as his goals. Giroud imo is a very effective striker.

He'll always have an important role to play in the first 11 regardless if a another striker comes in. He's more than a bench player or super sub. He brings much needed physical presence to our forward line and he gives Wenger lots of options and variation.

I'd like to think he's player that represents the best of Arsenal over the last 40 years. His physicality and strength echoes that of Alan Smith and the type of football Arsenal played under George Graham but his technical ability and intelligence reminds me of Bergkamp and Arsenal under Wenger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numan786)
    Would Mario Mandzukich make much difference? He seems like he'd suit the premier league as he's physical and he's also got some pace on him too, well more than Giroud.
    No not really. Mandzukic been playing in two systems that suited him. Mandzukic wasn't really a top goalscorer at Bayern(compared to Gomez who in his final season e.g. was scoring every 80 or so mins between 2011-13) but he suited the gameplan and was better technically than Gomez.

At Atlético their decline this season are that they don't have the strength and running of Diego Costa in behind defences any more so they don't break as quickly, they've been very reliant on set pieces this season for that reason(45% of goals from set pieces while 1 goal all season from the counter attack), Griezmann does this to an extent but you'd prefer Griezmann running at you than Costa considering how you'll be bullied in a strength battle while you can barge Griezmann down if you have to.

Last thing Arsenal need is an immobile striker, unless it happens to be someone of Ibrahimovic's quality. Then exceptions can obviously be made.
    (Original post by Depleted)
    Amazing how awesome Arsenal look with Walcott up too tbf, scares the **** out of me that if they got an upgrade on him how good they'd be. Don't get why they insist on having a man with his back to goal play up top and link play when they've got Özil, Cazorla and Rosicky all capable of playing balls in behind and creating chances. Still think Hernandez would get 20 league goals for you lot really tbh.
    Maybe Wenger may buy a winger and use Walcott up top? Or would his lack of ability on the ball hinder Arsenal then when they face deep defences?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Depleted)
    Agree wholeheartedly with Fizzel. He doesn't cover that much grass, he's in his peak essentially and he doesn't play in a system which requires a high intensity press, e.g you could argue Gundogan at Dortmund could suffer from burnout due to his role. It's now the norm to lead the line week in week out and many clubs are dependant on a sole striker, it's not an excuse sufficient for Benzema, Rooney, Mandzukic etc. so I don't see why it's paraded as valid for Giroud.
    So in the premier league :
    Chelsea have Costa/Drogba and Remy
    UTD have Rooney, RVP and Falcao
    Liverpool have Sturridge, Ballotelli, Lambert
    City have : Jovetic, Aguero, Dzeko

Where as all we have is Giroud, and Welbeck has been used as a winger since his return.

No burnout is not an excuse, but point stands. It would be good to have an alternative during his poor spells of the season, an outright replacement would be even better, but we're being realistic here and know that's unlikely to happen. Not sure why you said we insist on having Giroud as our main striker, considering we've been calling out for a new one for 3 years now..
    Also Walcott up top isn't a viable option at all. He gets completely nullified when opposing teams sit back and defend deep, which isn't really what happened vs Villa because firstly they left a decent amount of space at the back, and second were just not tough opposition for us on the day. But I do agree that we'd be much better off with a pacey forward, e.g the likes of Lacazette

No one's said that Giroud is enough to win the title (Sev doesn't count if he did). The only reason Arsenal fans such as my self defend him is because we realise he's still a talented striker up front and deserves to play for us whilst others, fans or neutral, have said that he isn't good enough. It says more than enough that he's managed to gain almost 20 goals in all comps whilst still missing around 3 months of the season. Problem is that people decide to criticise him unfairly even though he's turned up in several big games this season, he's scored more then "near post tap ins" as Jam said (lol), and he'd be the perfect second option striker, which again, is why I said in my initial post that we should go out and out for another striker, to complete our depth.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by AR_95)
    UTD have Rooney, RVP and Falcao
    One of them has already left and one is about to leave.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 8, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.