Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I don't frequently post on TSR so I'm not too sure on what I'm doing lol. I'm really struggling with Verbal Reasoning - does anyone have any tips/tricks/advice on how to do well

Thanks

(p.s. my exam is a week today - am I short on time?)

ReputationRep:
    I am currently practicing for my UKCAT which is in the upcoming weeks, however I am finding the timing extremely difficult for the Quantitive section. Is this the case for everyone? Is it possible to do all of the questions in such a short space of time, or will you only manage to do some/most of the questions, whilst guessing the rest?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Hello people,

Just got average 810 in my UKCAT (was averaging 700 in medify so was pleasant surprise )

Verbal 760
    Quantitative 900
    Abstract 770
    SJ Band 1

If I had any tips, it would be to use the decision making time to practice getting used to using the number pad on the keyboard (remember to hit num lock) as you will be pressed for time and it is much faster to input numbers into the calculator that way.

Overall, I found the verbal and the abstract to be a lot more difficult than medify or the 1000 questions book - not very obvious patterns. In SJ I managed to get a Band 1, when I had been getting band 2 in medify mocks.

Verbal tended to be on very complex topics that required a lot of thinking for what the correct answer was.

Abstract had many more complete the pattern questions - however, these were much harder than your simple number of sides increases by 1 etc...

Good luck to all still revising!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    So in prep for my UKCAT I'm using 5 books but because it's a computerised exam I'd like to use a set of questions on the computer too for practice.
    Does anyone have any recommendations as to whether the medify website questions or the medic portal questions are better? Or are there any other website question banks?

Thank you!!
    Help much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by osayukiigbinoba)
    Thank you Where did the figures in your equation come from?

The two sides represent in different terms the distance from Athens when the two planes meet according to the formula s=vt. The left side is the plane that has left Athens. Since it left 3 hours earlier than the London flight and travels at 500 km/h, when the planes meet it will have gone the distance 500 km/h times 3 + x hours. The flight from London travels at 400 km/h and travels for x hours, so it will have traveled the distance of 400 km/h times x hours. Since they come from different directions and the sides represent the distance from Athens, we subtract the 400x from 2400 (the distance between London and Athens) to get the two sides to equal out.

ReputationRep:
    Guys. A 650 average is good! Just because most of the people sharing their score have 700+, doesn't mean that's what you need!
    You can still get into medicine or dentistry with that score!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent R5)
    Hey
    Okay... so I just sat my UCAT and got:
    VR - 470 (Had huge paragraphs and a lot of deep analysis questions)
    QR - 830
    AR - 640
    SJT - Band 3
    This gives me a 650 ish average. Was aiming for around 700 but VR brought my average down completely.
    Would you say this is enough to get an interview for undergraduate entry Dentistry?
    I'm planning on taking a gap re-applying for Dentistry again but Im not sure where I can even apply to with this score?

GCSE's : 1A* 7As 3B's (not the best but I had an interview at Leeds last year)
    A levels : AAA ( hopefully so lets say I have this for the time being )

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me by letting me know where I can even apply...
    I think I can apply to:
    Manchester
    Glasgow
    Barts
    DundeePlymouth ( VR cut off was 480 last year)
    Cardiff ( Not sure on entry requirements right now)
    Leeds (BMAT)

I can't apply to: Liverpool, Sheffield, Bristol because I have a B in English at GCSE
    Doubt that I can apply to Newcastle or Kings because of grades but not really sure.

Any help and replies is greatly greatly appreciated as I'm in such a pickle as I really want to do Dentistry and already have done over a months work experience in a GDP, couple days in a hospital and some other useful stuff.
    You got an interview at Leeds with those GCSEs( they're not at all bad, mine are basically the same so I'm not insulting you or anything), did you have a super high BMAT?

ReputationRep:
    How do you guys deal with quantitative reasoning? what is your strategy on the complex calculations? do you leave them out and guess or do you spend longer on them (theres no way i can do the harder ones in 30 seconds)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 07cdominic)
    Hi,
    So in prep for my UKCAT I'm using 5 books but because it's a computerised exam I'd like to use a set of questions on the computer too for practice.
    Does anyone have any recommendations as to whether the medify website questions or the medic portal questions are better? Or are there any other website question banks?

Thank you!!
    Help much appreciated.
    I'm using Medify at the minute and its absolute gold. I did some mocks on ukcat website, and the questions on medify were spot on similar. I tried the medportal one but it was slow, clunky, and was prone to errors (either it crashed, or system took its sweet time to churn out results). Also their questions were slightly off for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hey guys so my ukcat is on friday and to those to who have already done their ukcat what did you do the day/morning before? any advice would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 07cdominic)
    Hi,

Thank you!!
    Help much appreciated.
    Which books did u use? Which ones u finding useful? And u doing any courses at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have only recently started to practice the UKCAT itself, and the quantative reasoning part is the worst for me in terms of time My friends also find it difficult, I guess it is just about practice - the pattern repeats itself even though the questions are different, etc.I think working really hard on the first ones and guessing what you can't solve in time is the best tactic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uni12345678)
    what are the best books to study for the UKCAT? Thanks
    I got the isc 1000q which I found great, and I also got the uniadmissions one which was slightly dodge cause of all the mistakes in the answers. The orange kaplan one was alright, not the best.

But I also used medify online which I felt was awesome cause I could practise in real life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pra99)
    I see that you did the Kaplan course. What percentages were you getting in the quizzes in the online resources. I'm only getting around 65 for AR, 60 for QR and 55 for SJT!(I haven't done VR quizzes yet). I really appreciate your help.
    I got my friend's dad to do some of the quizzes for SJT after I had done them (he's a doctor) and he only got 50% in them too! I think it's down to the fact that the scenarios are a little obscure and personally I don't agree on some of the answers either. I found Medify and the 1000Q book were much nicer for SJT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athos)
    Which books did u use? Which ones u finding useful? And u doing any courses at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ive got medify and I did the kaplan course this year aswell. I used books last year and they were an absolutely waste of time for me. Last year i got a 637.5 average and was gutted. This year I have changed my tactic, in my opinion books are a good introduction to the ukcat, so u can familiarise yourself with the types of questions. However as a computerised test you need to be quick with your reading on a screen and the keyboard shortcuts and the online calculator. These things cannot be achieved using the books. Medify is great, it has a large bank of questions which you can finish and then repeat. Kaplan is also good but the classroom sessions are better as the teacher went through tactics step by step. Kaplan is a little overpriced however I shall know whether it has worked after friday!
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I did the UKCAT yesterday and got 850 in QR. I found it horrible too while practicing, but the real thing wasn't so bad probably the most important thing is to learn to identify what questions are so time consuming that it's best to just skip them (as nearly everyone ends up skipping some questions) and to become really quick and accurate in mental maths.

ReputationRep:
    I only got band 2s in all my practices but got band 1 on the actual - just do the questions and then take a look at how to get the right end of the spectrum of answers.

And QR is legit way easier in the actual - it's actually kinda weird how much easier it is, seeing that the rest are more similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kings_queens)
    hey guys so my ukcat is on friday and to those to who have already done their ukcat what did you do the day/morning before? any advice would be great
    I ate earlier and slept earlier, then woke up and did some push ups/pull ups to get the blood flowing, ate two bananas and headed my way to the exam location.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uni12345678)
    How do you guys deal with quantitative reasoning? what is your strategy on the complex calculations? do you leave them out and guess or do you spend longer on them (theres no way i can do the harder ones in 30 seconds)
    There really weren't any - it's way easier with very few tables (which are tiny by any of the practice exams standards)

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.