Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amelienine)
    How many UMS do you think a 65 would be?
    Depending on grade boundaries, but the average UMS for 65/75 for M1 is 88.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShatnersBassoon)
    Yes, you do. From common sense, the slower train will need to be travelling at its maximum speed for longer than the fast train if they both reach the same point Y at the same time. Alternatively, if you were unsure whether this was the case, you could have easily altered your diagram after working out T. If I had written the paper, I would have assigned 1 of the 4 marks for the sketch to T < 25s. But of course, I'm just speculating so it might not have mattered.

I remember wondering this myself. The question asked for an equation "in terms of 't'", but I can't imagine them marking you down for a perfectly correct equation (these questions usually ask for an equation, as there's normally more than one valid form). I wrote down both forms of the equation just in case, but either should be fine.
    i suppose your right in the sens that you sould know T<25. However, in past mark schemes when there have been similar questions, the marks have been assigned for labelling the correct values and each line having the correct shape and values assigned to it. So as long as the overall shape is right and the right values are assigned to the correct point I would think you would still get full marks.

ReputationRep:
    For the particle hitting the wall question. For the impulse did you guys work out the acceleration afterwards, the resolved horizontally to get the force?

And for the non uniform rod question, what did you guys do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    i suppose your right in the sens that you sould know T<25. However, in past mark schemes when there have been similar questions, the marks have been assigned for labelling the correct values and each line having the correct shape and values assigned to it. So as long as the overall shape is right and the right values are assigned to the correct point I would think you would still get full marks.
    Btw thanks for when you said v=v0 + ta
    that came up in the exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SusamS)
    For question 2b, I am pretty sure it said the force exerted by the brick on the pan not the other way round, so wouldn't the answer be 1.5g (14.7N)
    I did F=ma on the pan and got the same answer as those who did F=ma on the brick (15.5 N). It's the same answer both ways.

20.6-0.5g-R = 0.5x0.5 (ignoring the weight & mass off the brick as we aren't considering the whole system, just the forces on the pan)
    15.7-R = 0.25
    15.7-0.25 = R = 15.45 -> 15.5 N (3sf)

It's not 14.7 N because of the acceleration

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BB8)
    I did F=ma on the pan and got the same answer as those who did F=ma on the brick (15.5 N). It's the same answer both ways.

20.6-0.5g-R = 0.5x0.5 (ignoring the weight & mass off the brick as we aren't considering the whole system, just the forces on the pan)
    15.7-R = 0.25

Wait wait wait why is it not:

R - 0.5g = 0.5 x 0.5
    R - 4.9 = 0.25
    R = 5.15N

Using N3L, the force extered is 5.15N

???? Most of the people I took the exam with did this. If this is wrong, please explain ;-;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tessa Moltres)
    Wait wait wait why is it not:

R - 0.5g = 0.5 x 0.5
    R - 4.9 = 0.25
    R = 5.15N

Using N3L, the force extered is 5.15N

???? Most of the people I took the exam with did this. If this is wrong, please explain ;-;
    The mass of the brick is 1.5 and not 0.5

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaphBruh)
    The mass of the brick is 1.5 and not 0.5

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I used the mass of the scale pan, and found the R upward of the scale pan, and then N3L meant that the brick exerts the same force down... I get that I'm wrong, but so many of us got 5.15 that I'd really appreciate someone here explaining why you gotta use the brick and not the scale pan XD

EDIT: OHHHHHHHH nevermind I know what I did now XDDD I did it the right way originally but got R as negative so did it this way...ahahah damn it

ReputationRep:
    guys for the vector question 7.. i did some triangle stuff and ended up using the cosine rule.. and i somehow got my answer as 2.5 but then for some reason square rooted it as my final answer (don't ask why) but do you think ill get many method marks for using the cosine rule? cause i did get 2.5 somehow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaiusMartius)
    easiest test of my life
    It was ok but calm down it wasnt that easy.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any good idea of the grade boundaries for this paper since majority of the people didnt find it that easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by txnilxnur)
    guys for the vector question 7.. i did some triangle stuff and ended up using the cosine rule.. and i somehow got my answer as 2.5 but then for some reason square rooted it as my final answer (don't ask why) but do you think ill get many method marks for using the cosine rule? cause i did get 2.5 somehow
    Bro did the same thing i got 2.46 aprox. 2.5 so i dont know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BB8)

15.7-R = 0.25

Oh I just got it. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fpmaniac)
    Btw thanks for when you said v=v0 + ta
    that came up in the exam
    i know and i got it wrong :happy2:

ReputationRep:
    The paper is here- http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4153535

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dotdani11)
    Bro did the same thing i got 2.46 aprox. 2.5 so i dont know.
    did you end up doing the square root of it as well then? literally no idea what i was doing lol i hate vectors... do you think we'll get many marks for using the cosine rule then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    question asked for magnitude so you would lose one mark for that question.

for part a you dont know if T is faster or slower than 25 seconds at that part so I don't think it matters, marks for graphs come from labelling the correct values and that the lines have the correct shape
    Cheers boss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SturtScooby)
    Could someone explain to me why the force exerted by the brick is 15.45N and not just its weight, 14.7N. I understand it's accelerating upwards and so there must be a net upwards force greater than the weight. The difference between the force and the weight is the force required to make it accelerate at 0.5m/s^2, so net upwards =1.5g + 0.5x1.5=15.45. Surely though, this is the force that the pan exerts on the brick and not what the brick exerts on the pan? Or am I correct and have I just messed up when reading the question and it's actually asked me to find the force of the pan on the brick?
    The brick is in contact with the pan which means there must be a contact force. This contact force is equal to the force exerted by the brick on the scale pan (Newton's Third Law).

Have a look at my worked solutions to all questions here;
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post65604913

ReputationRep:
    hopefully got 73/75 on this, just waiting to be shafted by C3 and C4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillRose)
    hopefully got 73/75 on this, just waiting to be shafted by C3 and C4
    same lol, I resat all my as modules and they went super smooth, waiting for m2, c3, c4 to cut me down to size

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.